[REL] Sketch tools for casters

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Martenus, March 18, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I just released it on PAMM, and for now I was just going to leave this as the thread for it. Should we do a new thread or should @martenus just rename the title to [REL] and edit his OP?

Attached Files:

2. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Yay! It's done(ish).

I'd say new thread, this thread was a request to the modders for a mod. Now that it's done it needs a release/dev thread. We should move further discussion on improving it there too.

Also, nice icon!
  3. LavaSnake

I made a thread for your idea here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/idea-in-game-notes-mod.58265/
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You can probably just rip the note screen from the "Notes" mod. There is a function in there already to display an editable note window. Specifically, look in the dNotes_global.js file. All you would need to do is to drop the playername argument for the function and get rid of the SAVE button, I think.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. LavaSnake

Ok, thanks. I was just planning to add a text box to the UI, but I'll look into it. (This discussion should really happen in the mod idea thread above instead of hijacking this thread.)
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, but you posted that 0.2 seconds before I posted my reply. :)
    LavaSnake likes this.
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Spoken to Brad and I won't be using any mods in the tourny to give people a vanilla experience of what they can get if they get the game. Will still be using this in casts etc but not for the Uber tourny.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Which immediately suggests a mod tournament where the contestants and casters list their weapons of choice ;^)
    zaphodx and LavaSnake like this.
  9. LavaSnake

ok, so I pushed a new version of LavaDraw (v1.1.1) that fixes the stamp issue. Basicly, you were right. It was recording a new stamp event for every mouse move event so we ended up with a lot of stamps stacked on top of each other. I changed it so it will only make one stamp, ever, for each click.

Also, good you go ahead and make the separate thread?
  10. LavaSnake

I have a quick question for @martenus @ZaphodX @brianpurkiss and any other casters that might be using this:

Which of the following features would you like to have added?​
    • A ping icon (or other image) stamp
    • A circle drawing tool (like PA area commands) - This was suggested by martenus, I'm just not sure if the casters still want it
    • Hotkeys for selecting the tools
    • Feel free to suggest other ideas too!
  11. cptconundrum

I can do the tool hotkeys in the ui if you guys just tell me what keys to default to. The additional tools would be LavaSnake's job.
  12. LavaSnake

And circles shouldn't be too hard. It would just be a combination of the one draw per click code from the stamp with the marker code and some math.

Also cpt, you can new include the stamp tool in the mod if they want it. I fixed the code and pushed it to GitHub.
  13. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

I have no clue, why did I got no forum alert for this, hmm.

Anyway, I just tested the mod, looks good. Just the arrow is a bit dodge, the head doesn't always point the good direction, so I guess I might stick to the free-drawing tool at the end.

A stamp icon (the ping one) = circle drawing, basically. So I would say go for the stamp ping icon.

Hotkeys much needed:
    • Toggle color (changes to another color in order as they are in the list)
    • Select free-tool
    • Select stamp
    • Clear
    Other ideas .... eeeeeem ..... not at the moment.

Great work! I shall edit the OP and title, once you guys tell me what does need to be in OP :p I have no clue if there are some requirements for REL mods etc.
  14. cptconundrum

Any suggestions on the default keys for these hotkeys?
  15. Martenus

I have no clue what keybinds are taken by default game, so my suggestions might be completely wrong here.

Considering one does draw with alt ...
    • Toggle color: Alt+C
    • Clear: Alt+X
    • Stamp: Alt+S
    • Free-tool: Alt+A (or this could be Arrow tool, and Free-tool can be Alt+F)
    All keys easily accessible by left hand, no need for big moves around the keyboard.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. cptconundrum

Sounds good to me. We don't have to worry much about overriding default key binds because this is just for spectators.
  17. Martenus

Also if you could edit my nickname in PAMM, that'd be great! Just give me a capital M! :D
  18. LavaSnake

Well the arrow heads are currently drawn up, down, left, or right. Calculating a rotation so it always looks good would be possible but it would take a lot of time and careful coding. right now it should look fine as long as your arrows don't end with a prefect diagonal.

@cptconundrum, I think we should move this to a new [REL] thread so we can have a proper OP with a changelog and such. Also, could you make an update with the ping stamp tool added in?
  19. cptconundrum

I'm not going to work on mods for a day or two, but I can get to it if you don't. This is a community mod though, so anyone can work on it.
  20. cptconundrum

Just kidding, I'm working on it now. I don't really want to make a second [REL] thread right now because @martenus already changed the name on this one.

Also, the ping icon looks wrong in white and not animated. How's this?
    stamp_full.png
    Martenus likes this.