[REL] Sketch tools for casters

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Martenus, March 18, 2014.

1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

and it's a .png!
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Well, he asked for a png, eh? :)
    LavaSnake likes this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think while you are placing a stamp, every time you move the mouse it draws a new stamp in exactly the same place but keeps the old one there too. You can see this is you use an image with any transparency and drag it around a lot. That transparent region keeps getting darker every time the mouse moves because new stamps are being layered on top of each other.
  4. LavaSnake

Odd, that wasn't happening with the Delta com stamp and that has transparency too. I'll play around with the code and see...
  5. cptconundrum

Maybe I broke something! :(

I didn't change LavaDraw though.
  6. LavaSnake

I found the issue. Basicly the image is too big for it to render fast enough. As a result it glitches and causes those issues. If you resize the ping to 25% it works fine. I've pushed a change to my repo that adds the resized png and sets it as the stamp image. You can go ahead and download it to try it out.
  7. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

This mod reminds me of NFL commentary with how they can draw arrows to dictate things. hope this comes to fruitation
  8. LavaSnake

it already works, we just need to add more tools and things.
  9. cptconundrum

I think we just need a final image for the stamp and it can be released.
  10. LavaSnake

Did you try the resized ping image in my repo? That should work fine.
  11. cptconundrum

It's still duplicating, but it is hard to see that happen. In this image, the one on the left was placed with a single click and the one on the right was dragged around. you can still see a jagged black border around the image that comes from transparent images being overlayed on top of each other a lot of times. The while image is scaled to 200% size to show what I mean.
    delta.png

It's not a huge problem, because we can just not use stamps with semi-transparent pixels. My bigger concern is the possible performance issues when trying to drag stamps around if the framerate is already low to begin with.

I'm going to say we should just pull stamps from the project for now until we can take another look at them.
    • They weren't requested by Martenus.
    • Zaphod doesn't think he will use them.
    • Stamps are still buggy, but not too bad.
    • As far as I know, we haven't settled on a stamp image yet.
    • Zaphod probably wants a chance to play with this before Friday's big tournament.
    Should I go ahead and release v1.0.0 to PAMM without stamps? The LavaDraw arrows are working really well and the UI is at a point I'm happy with, so this is actually useful as it is now. We can take our time getting stamps to work perfectly if we don't have to worry about getting this ready for the next tournament.
  12. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'm so using this in my regular game. Is there a way to just draw text notes on the screen? Only read part of the thread, didn't see any mention of it. I might see if I can add it in myself, but I'd rather you more experienced joes do it:p
  13. cptconundrum

It looks like you can write text to an HTML5 canvas. However, Sketch.js and LavaDraw don't support that, and it's not a part of my UI. I don't really see any reason to add that in to the mod, since it would be extra work and one more button in the UI, which needs to stay as minimal as possible. If you write it yourself or organize an angry mob of people with torches and pitchforks, I may reconsider putting it in the UI.
    mered4 likes this.
  14. LavaSnake

It wouldn't be hard to add to LavaDraw. I just don't see how it would be useful. I mean, casters are already talking, why would they need to write?

Sounds good! Let's go ahead release this without the stamps as version 1. I'll look into the code and see if it is duplicating and release a fix once that is optimized and improved. Maybe version 1.1 could include the ping image stamp and version 1.2 could include circles?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. mered4

GOOGLE: *steps to creating a flash mob on the internet*

Thanks Cpt.
  16. mered4

Actually, I was thinking for regular players who could use the text to write notes next to, say, each planet. or each player. Or just randomly around the screen. Leave notes for later. Maybe an intel count? Like, they have x2 t2 air and x3 t2 bots
  17. LavaSnake

It actually wouldn't be very useful for that because the images don't move with the planet. You can think of this as a whiteboard that's on top of your screen. The moment you zoom or pan the text will be out of place. It really works best for casters since it acts like a laser pointer to point things out and then they clear it and move on.
  18. mered4

I know it wouldn't move with the screen, Lava. I'm not saying a positional reference - I was assuming it would be next to the UI elements in the drop-downs. You just write it next to the planet and let it sit there.
    Or, use an abstract corner of the screen to add a note.
  19. LavaSnake

cpt, when you post the [REL] thread could you add a note at the bottom asking casters to tell us which of the following features they'd like to have added?
    • A ping icon (or other image) stamp
    • A circle drawing tool (like PA area commands) - This was suggested by martenus, I'm just not sure if the casters still want it
    • Hotkeys for selecting the tools
    • Feel free to suggest other ideas too!
  20. LavaSnake

Hm, it seems a dedicated notes mod that you can edit would work better for that. If there's enough interest I'd be happy to make it.
    mered4 likes this.