Terminology glossary submissions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by trialq, March 24, 2014.

1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I'm making a list of terms used in the game, but need help as I'm sure some are missing/inaccurate. Here's the list so far:
    • AA - Anti-air
    • AoE - Area of effect or splash damage. Some weapons attack an area inatead of a single unit, for example a nuke
    • Dev - Developer, more commonly a developer of the game, less commonly a developer of a mod. 'game developer' and 'mod developer' can remove the ambiguity
    • DPS - Damage per second, this is the maximum damage a unit can dish out given that all conditions have been met (in range, enough energy to recharge at full rate etc)
    • Early game - The beginning of a match, commonly coinciding with the time before a proper economy has been established. It could refer to anything from the first minute to the first 5 minutes of play.
    • End game - The way someone intends to defeat an opponent, typically the last bullet point on their strategy
    • Fab/Fabber - Fabricators, mobile units that contruct things. Less commonly a factory
    • FoV - Field of view. The range a unit can see
    • FoW - Fog of war. Not in general use by players, game developers have used the terminology
    • Game ender - Events or units that can end the game, including things like:
      • Nukes
      • Laser platforms
      • Kinetic Energy Weapons (see KEW)
      • A massive and unstoppable force of units
    • GG - Good game, a common courtesy at the end of a match
    • GL - Good luck, a common courtesy at the start of a match. Often combined with 'have fun'
    • HF - Have fun, a common courtesy at the start of a match. Often combined with 'good luck'
    • Intel - Intelligence, the amount of data someone has about an opponent
    • KEW - Kinetic Energy Weapon, referring to the use of celestial bodies as bombardment weapons
    • Late game - The end of a match, referring to the timeframe game ending events may occur. Players should be well established at this point and thinking about how to end the game. Often there will be a player who pulls ahead to become the 'favourite', in which case the weaker players will be thinking how to snipe their commander
    • Mex - Shorthand for metal extractor
    • Mid game - The middle of a match, typically when players have set up a decent economy and have the resources to start executing their strategies proper. Game enders are rarely available in mid-game, or rarely work
    • Nuke - Nuclear missile or nuclear launcher, context dependent
    • Pgen - Shorthand for power generator
    • Point defense - Sometimes used by players of the older games in the series, referring to any static defense turret, or just the laser turrets
    • Range - Typically the distance an offensive unit can fire an offensive weapon or a fabricator can build
    • Snipe - Ignoring the bulk of the opponents force and going straight for the commander for a quick victory. Often attempted by the weaker side, but common in general
    • T1 - Tier 1, the normal units and structures in the game
    • T2 - Tier 2, the advanced units and structures
    • T0 - Tier 0, a seldom used term to mean the structures the commander can build
    • T1.5 - Tier 1.5, referring to orbital units as they are considered to be roughly between tier 1 and tier 2 tech wise
    If you can think of any others please post them.

edit: Some more I've done: comm, eco, alliance, shared army
    • Soon - Some point in the very near future, or some time after that
    Last edited: March 25, 2014
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

3. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

• LoS - Line of Sight, the range a unit can see, synonym for FoV
    • Spawn - (in PA) the green zones you can see before the game starts, where you can land your commander. They are labeled with numbers and are shared with the same army, but not with teams (currently)
    • UI - user interface, also known as the UBERFACE. It contains every button, menu, slider,... that you can find in the game.
    • Mod - modification, an optional free addition to the game created by the community or the devs. It can contain various UI improvements or small new features. (currently)

I'm sure I can find more...

Sticky this thread perhaps? Could be useful to newbies to the game.
    trialq likes this.
  4. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

• FPS: Frames per second
    • BF: Bot Factory
    • ABF: Adv. Bot Factory
    • VF: Vehicle Factory
    • AVF: Adv. Bot Factory
    • AF: Air Factory
    • AAF: Adv. Bot Factory
    • NF: Naval Factory
    • ANF: Adv. Naval Factory
    • OF: orbital Factory
    • Adv.: Advance
    • Doxs: multiple of Dox(unit)
    Last edited: March 24, 2014
    trialq likes this.
  5. trialq

Glad to help. I'm compiling this list to create a similar page.
    Thanks for the new terms. It can be stickied but I can't promise to keep the OP up to date all the time. I'll make a point of updating it every few days from now and see how good I am at doing so.

Is doxs the plural of dox? I thought it was its own plural like sheep, I know some like to use the term doxen. Also, are the acronyms for the factories in general use? I've never encountered them.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

What about Scamper? :p
  7. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

Scamper was the old name of the dox unit, so it is not so important to mention, the name that is
  8. cptconundrum

Yeah, I'm just making fun of Zaphod
  9. trialq

blob and nuck will be added (found them on the pamatches slang page). Scamper and ant are old names, but are still used pretty often. By zaphod at least. Might add them if other people use them all the time. Ant aka pounder aka.... probably deserves a mention.
    edit:
    UTC-8 formerly known as Histericlese formerly known as Titanium Insect formerly known as Pounder formerly known as Ant ;)
  10. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Heh, I use dox using the sheep rule. Doxs kinda sounds like dogs in some way. I never understood doxen, and where that came from.

A few more:

• Reclaim - A fabber or commander can reclaim enemy or neutral (wreckages) objects. This will drain the target's life and give you metal or energy, but never both.
    • Assist - A fabber or commander can assist building, speeding up construction progress. You can also assist factories, which will help them make units faster.
    • Rush - doing something very soon, sooner than you would normally do, being part of your strategy.
    • Ubercannon - the special weapon your commander is equipped with. Use the alt-fire command to utilize it. You need energy to charge it. (variants : Ubergun , D-gun)
  11. cptconundrum

It is probably part of a trend set by some *NIX sysadmins calling a single server a "box" and multiple servers "boxen."
    Last edited: March 24, 2014
  12. trialq

Thanks for more submissions, I wonder how big this list will end up :p

I think it's @wpmarshall that uses the term doxen in casts.
  13. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

you forgot alleged tank;)
  14. trialq

Ah yes. I had work one day and missed that patch :p
  15. LetsOne

LetsOne Active Member

Just letting you know on that page you written nuck not nuke.
  16. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Nuck is equal to nuke and vice versa. ;) It's a slang term.
  17. LetsOne

LetsOne Active Member

Hmm never heard that term . You learn something new everyday! :D
  18. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Maybe add overcharge as a variant? I know I call it that a lot. That or Ubercharge.
  19. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

*Doxen
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yeah. Some people use "nuck" instead of Nuke and it annoys me. It's a slang of a slang and it makes little to no sense. But oh well. People use it.