AI doing orbital vanguard drops confirmed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ORFJackal, March 23, 2014.

1. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

We are digging our own grave.

2. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Hehe Great stuff!
    Martenus likes this.
  3. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

The orbital vanguard drop was in the last 2v2 tourmant's semi final, if I recall correctly. Keep and eye on ZaphodX's videos.

EDIT: No, it was losers round 5, just before semi-finals.
    Last edited: March 23, 2014
  4. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

I was watching the stream as it happened :p
  5. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

6. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Oh THAT'S awesome.
    I like how Uber has someone so devoted to making the AI the most evil thing imaginable, makes single player less "exploit the AI's stupidity" and more "OH GOD MAKE IT STOP"
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's what we want from an AI, right?

The goal is to make it as like playing a real player as possible.

Crazy awesome moments like this make even fighting the AI have insane and memorable stories. How many other games of any genre to you tell crazy stories about fighting the AI? Those stories are always when playing against the AI. But with PA... we'll have crazy moments against the AI.

HOW COOL IS THAT.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I landed on a AI controlled moon today, so of course the solution whilst chancing my commander with sniper bots was to also SHOOT THE MOON at another AI commander at the same time.

Talk about two birds with one planet, right?
    stormingkiwi and Murcanic like this.
  9. tehtrekd

Hell yeah!
    Reminds me of a game I had against the normal AI recently.

*warning, overly long story begins now*
    *also if you're crazy enough to read it, sorry about any spelling mistakes, typing on a phone is far from fun...*

It all came down to a 1v1, but all the asteroids were used up, and the AI certainly wasn't going to come down to my planet and yell "SHOOT ME", so I had gotten enough avengers and anchors to the AI's planet to effectively take over the orbital layer, then I got a fabber there and put down a teleporter on an area with no buildings (it was a lava planet, so some areas without metal were ignored.) however, I knew he had ground radar, so I sent a couple bot fabbers through to test the response time.
    Nothing short of 90 seconds later, a nuke had been dropped and an army of t2 tanks and gunships were sent to the location to make sure I wouldn't try again.
    So my goal was clear: get an anti nuke up, send an army of t2 tanks and get flakkers up to deal with the response team, then, hopefully with the aid of nukes, push for the commander, all within 90 freaking seconds.
    Eventually I found another area where nothing was built, and quickly went to work. In half a minute I had an army and several t2 engineers working on an antinuke-- this was going to work!
    About 60 seconds in, antinuke done, full army in, response team getting close.
    Nuclear launch detected, then deflected.
    The slaughter began, artillery shells flying back and forth, gunships being shot down, it was utter insanity.
    Eventually the enemy's army was weak enough, I saw an opening, and I went through.
    Thankfully most of the fabbers were able to get away from the fighting, half of them were building a nuke, the other half, done with flakkers, were trying to make sure they had enough antinukes to survive, I left a small team of shellers with them, just in case things got bad.
    The advancing army, being beaten with heavy artillery and lasers, continued on, in the search for the commander, with only the streams of metal coming from the nearly depleted combat engineers to help them.
    A nuclear missile flies over my army, then another.
    I went back to check on the antinukes.
    Only one was there, the other half done, but the nuke was finished.
    Thanks to the orbital radar, I launch it where no antinukes were to intercept, and luckily for me, close enough to damage the commander.
    The tanks were severely lessened in numbers now, only about 100 still stood, without combat engineers, but they still fought to get to the commander.
    A nuclear explosion is heard, the only way to send reinforcements was gone, it had to end then and there.
    They pressed forward as the friendly nuke flew overhead and went off not too far away, clearing much of the way forward of any defensive structures.
    Finally, after what seemed like hours of fighting, Commander Rallus was seen, heavily damaged and firing his uber cannon out of desperation.
    The shellers took aim, and fired their final mortar assault, and in a grand display of fiery devastation, the commander was defeated.

Planet invasions may be beyond difficult and they may still need work, but hot damn, they're insanely intense.
    (And the music just adds onto that intensity SO well!)
    cptconundrum and igncom1 like this.
  10. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Personal stories like that are what make games in this genre so great. Everyone has their own story about trading nukes, or that time they pulled off the best vanguard drop ever right when things looked the worst, or how they once survived for days on nothing but hot pockets and doritos while they played a massive game with planets smashing over and over until there was nothing left on the battlefield but two commanders finally facing each other.

Thanks for sharing! After so much negatiity on the forums recently, it really helps remind me what this game is all about.
    stormingkiwi and tehtrekd like this.
  11. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I still couldn't believe the AI destroyed me with an orbital laser satellite. the last thing I need is for it to drop a vanguard on my head!
  12. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Oh no, we are so sorry guys. So sorry..... I knew we shouldn't have done that.

And that was my idea, blame me.
    Dolmax likes this.
  13. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

What's next? AI attempting gunship snipes? :rolleyes:
  14. tehtrekd

Already does that :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  15. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

You sir, were slightly busy keeping your commander safe :D
    Though I think we made PA history with such a stunning team effort :D:D:D:D
    Methlodis and philoscience like this.
  16. Lavenders2

Lavenders2 New Member

AI war: fleet command is famous for having the best AI in an RTS game.
    Just played against it yesterday. The AI sneak attacked me and prioritized my defenses in a way that he was able to bypass my turrets and force-fields and I lost the game right there.
    In having the best AI, it also sacrifices the key mistake that everyone makes when making an AI:
    "The goal is to make it as like playing a real player as possible."
    The AI should not play like a player, it should play like an AI. It will have its own set of rules that it can follow, and this is what makes AI war the best strategy game against an AI.

PA is getting to the point where it has AI that is working on a ground scale (it can even micro or so I hear) but it probably won't ever reach the levels of AI war due to the way it is designed.
  17. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Played a FFA with 7 players and 1 AI the other day.
    Guess who won...