Should fabbers building something keep building when moved?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by stuart98, March 17, 2014.

?

Should fabbers building something keep building when moved?

1. Yes.

38.1%
  2. No.

61.9%
  1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Exactly. Which is why I advocate AI to do that stuff. Its cool behaviour, but its kind of mandatory for the unit. May as well take advantage of the CPU to make it a combat behaviour

Great hypothesis... but really Krakanu? That inductive reasoning goes both ways straight away
  2. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Well when it comes to fabbers moving while constructing it seems like it is unnecessary to add it to the game at the first because it would add a lot of micro as the players would have to make the fabber go towards the next project once they are about to finish their current project. However this is probably easy to automate by making the fabber automatically go towards the next project and stop when the current project is still in build range.
    But then there are situations where you would want to dodge or hide behind buildings to avoid enemy fire.
    Imagine a dance between a fabber and a Dox where the fabber is trying to have the defense tower under construction obstruct the incoming Dox projectiles by moving behind the unfinished defense tower and finishing the tower while it dances around the turret that could be quite micro heavy.
  3. stormingkiwi

Ohhh they would too.... that's true.

Earth 2150 had a retreat script. I think it was really REALLY basic.

But all that dodging behaviour could be modelled by simple AI occurring at a unit level, and fairly cheaply too if I understand correctly. I guess you could even group it up and platoon control them or greater.

What's more, it would actually look kind of cool to see all of your units acting like individual units under your control, and not having to be babysat all the time.
  4. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

See we are talking about completely different things. Your topic is the general AI debate while mine is the particular suggestion in the OP.

The problem with this thread is that it proposes a solution with no problem. Most things in the game should be there to create some sort of higher level behaviour. For example metal extractors making metal creates the behaviour of expansion. It is not the goal of PA to create a game in which constructors can move while building so if this mechanic were added it would be to solve some problem which occurs at a higher level.

No such problem in this thread is stated so I made one up that seemed to fit. My problem was that constructors die too quickly against inaccurate units. The solution proposed in the OP is to make constructors able to dodge while building, I proposed that we instead give constructors more health. Both 'health' and 'dodging while building' have similar effects on survivability while 'health' does not require micro.
  5. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

Many people dislike, or simply lack the time to, reclaiming buildings that get in the way. This fixes a partial problem with that, making projects you didn't place properly vanish without a significant amount of micro.
  6. stormingkiwi

Eh?

There is a problem.

If you tell a combat unit to attack, it keeps attacking after you move it.
    If you tell a fabber to use its attack, it does not attack after you move it.
    Is that consistent? No.

Why do you want to move it? - To avoid damage.
    Why do you want to avoid damage - increase its survivability.
    Should we therefore just increase it's health? Yes

Did you solve the initial problem?
    No. It's still inconsistent. And now you have the additional issue that you've just changed the entire balance of the game
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

I disagree that this is a problem.
  8. stormingkiwi

Combat engineers.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So what you are saying, is allow engineers to automatically reclaim enemy units?

For normal engineers? No that's silly, billy.

But for combat fabs? Hell yeah.
  10. stormingkiwi

Yah. Also I was viewing the fabbers as having a negative weapon when they are repairing stuff. I.e. Instead of leaching health, they add it.
    igncom1 likes this.