For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I have a hard time keeping track of what is live and what isn't. The most recent thing I worked on was keeping the AI from firing two planets at another planet and to keep better track of where the AI wants to fire a planet, to keep the Commander from moving to the target planet or a planet being launched.
    cdrkf and Quitch like this.
  2. geno12

geno12 New Member

So what is the general mechanism for the AI deciding on where to nuke/annihilate? Is it a heat map of the value of units/buildings in the area? I've noticed the AI likes to nuke the same spot twice, I'm assuming its because until it rescouts the area it thinks the buildings are still there?

I'm always curious about learning more about AI programming.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Nuke targeting is based on econ threat. The AI should not nuke the same area twice (unless it re-scouts and finds new target), because it keeps track of that data. However, radar satellites have econ threat, so it sees those as good nuke targets. This will obviously be fixed, but I have higher priority things to work on at the moment.
    drz1, stuart98, Quitch and 1 other person like this.
  4. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Is it me will PA AI be one of the best AI out there? Too bad you can't clone yourself to work on every game. Some games are plagued by horrible AI, even the 4x ones.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Might wanna check out At The Gates, which is a 4X where the designer states that the AI is a big focus for them.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It looks really cool.....but it is a little small and focused.
  8. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Yesterday I played a 2 vs 3 Hard AI (AI was not sharing eco) and the AI nuked empty areas (well the first nuke was really good, but with each nuke the targeting seemed to be worse). Despite of the bad aiming we were really losing because it had the moons and random nukes every minute makes holding on a bit difficult. But the end of it was that the AI nuked itself on one of the moons (I only saw it in chronocam after the game, because we were really surprised when we suddenly won). I know this is no specific information but maybe it helps.
    stormingkiwi and DeathByDenim like this.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The AI currently tries to nuke orbital eco targets, that's probably why.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. knub23

knub23 Active Member

It nuked its own commander on a moon where we only had a satellite and anchor (sorry I didn't clarify that). At least it was funny because the nuke was launched and landed some meters away near the com :).
  11. hohopo

hohopo Member

The AI currently believes it can nuke satellites, leading to some interesting moments
    Quitch likes this.
  12. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Was just thinking about nuking satellites while reading this, and while it's not a topic for this thread, it does sound like a cool idea - against a batch of anchors for example.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

mavor has talked about the idea of allowing nukes to shoot stuff in orbit/inter-orbit so it is at least on the table.
  14. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

After last nights patch, the AI nuked me 9 minutes into the game, despite me constantly harrassing his base. The nuke thing is getting rediculous. Its like thats all they work toward, makes for a boring match IMO.
  15. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should feed the balance issues showcased by @sorian right back to @scathis - sort of like a backpropagation network. Bye community feedback.
  16. shotforce13

With that logic we might as well remove all the units in the game and just play with nukes and anti-nukes:rolleyes:
  17. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

While my comment did lack any sort of major sense I do not see how your reply relates to its content in any way. Colour me confused.
  18. shotforce13

Because id like to fight against other units, not just against non-stop nukes.

The current ai doesnt care about an army anymore just nukes IE boring......
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Which indicates a balance issue if the AI perceives them as being the most efficient means of disposing of armies. Hence my remark advocating to forward this finding directly to @scathis so it can be taken care of. No dissent here, at all.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yep, the AI is just learning how to take advantage of a good unit. Are you playing on Hard AI? I can see where it would think it should rush nukes if it has that economy boost.