How t1 armies are still useful currently even in light of turrets.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by thetrophysystem, March 20, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

So, one who makes a huge t1 army, and one makes a lot of turrets. Is the t1 army immediately doomed?

Well, you can't use it effectively in t1 rush, unless you see an opening, sure. However, those turrets can't move for the rest of the game. So, if 1 were to hold onto the t1 army and wait till t2, they can rush t2 just about as fast. Then, get long range units, and destroy the turrets with those, then you have an effective t1 army to swarm with after just 3-4 units open up the front. I believe they do not underrange pelters by very far either.

Besides, that army can still be used as turrets with acceptable losses.

Just saying, I think people underrate them, aside from the fact walls and turrets can use some kind of a rebalance.
    corteks and igncom1 like this.
  2. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Infernos. Lots of infernos.
    Lots and lots of infernos.

...Even more infernos.
    ace902902 likes this.
  3. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

It's not the turrets that make the t1 game invalid. Its the ridiculous HP of walls making turrets have way to much life expectancy.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Except I don't have to invest in turrets until I see you coming a mile off with t1 radar, and I'm at t2 tons earlier because I didn't waste metal on loads of t1 units I don't have any intention or possibility of using.
  5. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Cheap turrets coupled with that t2 units are simply better for cost makes the t1 game invalid.
  6. Dementiurge

Just wait until people start reclaiming their turrets for the supposed economic advantage.
  7. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Why would I waste time reclaiming my turrets when I could be building mexes or advanced mexes instead?
    zweistein000 likes this.
  8. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Wall. Your argument is now invalid.
  9. Dementiurge

More infernos.
    And maybe combat fabbers.
    But mostly infernos. Lots of infernos.

Because brain damage.
    stormingkiwi and Geers like this.
  10. zweistein000

A group of infernos cant break a wall backed by 1 or 2 turrets. Not even with combat fabbers. Wals have toom uch hp and can be replaced in an instant. What you really need are vanguards.
  11. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Quitch likes this.
  12. Dementiurge

1 Infernos.
    2 Lots of infernos.
    3 Infernos?
    4 Goto 1
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]

Problem solved.
  14. zweistein000

yes exactly, but nukes arent exactly t1 units. Acutally they are closer to t3 :p
    Last edited: March 20, 2014
  15. sypheara

sypheara Member

The only way to be sure
    stormingkiwi and Geers like this.
  16. godde

godde Well-Known Member

As said. You are better off spamming Vanguards than Infernos.
  17. elwyn

elwyn Member

lots of t1 tanks mixed with t2 tanks and gunships to take down towers and if com is out gunships can get the kill
  18. thetrophysystem

I am led to believe that i... you guys didn't read my op did you, just my title?

I said, turrets in fact beat t1 army, but right now if you build 200 t1 units, and use those as turrets, and your opponent builds 7-8 turrets with walls, then the following could be done:

You could hold onto your t1 units, and him his turrets. T2 comes for both you. You both build gil-es. However, you only need 5 gil-e to immediately move in, knock a turret down with impunity, THEN rush with your already existing t1 army. The numbers are advantageous, because the turret died without getting any kills, so their base is wide open with almost no other way to stop those kinds of numbers.

Basically, you don't use the t1 army immediately, but you can easily t2 up and kill the turrets, then use the stockpiled t1 units very effectively after just 1-2 t2 units open the turrets up.

PART 2 OF POST: I STILL SUPPORT TURRET BALANCE:

I still support walls costing more and having very slightly health decrease. Walls are worth a turret themselves, especially for their effect, and their metal cost would remove cheap repair repairing more hp than 5 units can damage at once. I am also okay with adding a lobber unit that fires average tank range at hi arc to miss walls and sprinke them into invasion armies.

I just don't think t1 units are quite useless yet. I just think people found t1 rush doesn't work against walls, found someone t2 rushing instead, and binarily decided "lets all just do 1 strategy derp". I don't think anyone considered how valuable a t1 mass is if you could just save it until turrets isn't a problem, which isn't the exact idea of t1 no, but it is a suggestion for people to use them this patch until stuff fixes.
    elwyn and igncom1 like this.
  19. godde

godde Well-Known Member

200 t1 units cost way more than 7-8 turrets with walls. Heavy T1 spam delays your T2 which means that the enemy can use gunships, Gil-Es or Shellers to destroy your T1 before you can deploy T2 units yourself. The T2 player can also rely on advanced mexes for income which means that your initial advantage in map control doesn't really hinder the defending player from outecoing you.
    aevs, Quitch and Murcanic like this.
  20. thetrophysystem

Here is where I disagree on the numbers. Generally, the cost to get fabbers to build turrets, isn't too far off the cost for army production. They might have comparable metal, but at the very least you could bottle them up for a nuking. You don't necesarily get t2 too far apart with just the difference in metal between army production and just-fabbers production.