How to counter missle attacks

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lino722, March 17, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

...but with more then 12bytes of RAM... damn! bummer.
    I'd give them a bit of my 16 gigs gladly, unless I'm a dictator commander that doesn't share the wealth...
  2. chazz00999

chazz00999 Member

Their range isn't even that large, if the enemy have managed to set up catapults on your doorstep then you deserve to lose.
  3. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

What bugs me most of all is that Holkins artillery and Catapult missile perfom in much the same way, and have much the same role.
    I've proposed differentiating them before.
    Keep the holkins as is, but buff the range of the catapult while decreasing its rate of fire and increasing it's cost.
    then get some tac missile defense in the game.

Now you have the holkins for moderate aoe damage over relatively long distances, which can only be countered by killing the damn thing.
    Then you have the catapult (and stingray) that has extreme range and large single target damage, but can be countered by tac missile defense.
  4. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Hmm.. Well the Holkins and the catapulta need more difference between them for sure.

Anti tac seems good if it's automated. (mobile anti tac unit possibly?) I was always wondering if they would expand missile launchers (current nuke launcher) to have more kinds of missiles. (anti tac, emp, interplanetary nuke, etc.)

The Holkins are pretty OP atm. I had a lot of trouble when turtler had like 10 of them. I couldn't get in range with anything! Their splash radius and accuracy is too high.

Yes to:

Buff catapult range, increase cost. Less dmg vs buildings.

Nerf Holkins dmg vs units. Possibly less splash radius. Just nerf their anti-unit strength.

From my logical understanding -> catapult = vs units. Holkins = vs buildings. That's supposed to be their difference.
  5. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

I always assumes it was primarily the reverse because the splash of the holkins is so great vs units, and the large single target damage of the catapult is so good versus buildings.

Either way I agree they need to have a more specific purpose
  6. stonewood1612

Well the pelter is an artillery unit for sieging buildings, so you would think that it's T2 version would be the same.

Maybe we just need to remove the catapult and replace it with some kind of powerful tactical missile that is build able in a missile launcher, while leaving the Holkins pretty much as it is? I dunno.
  7. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Leaving the holkins as is was always what I had in mind. I wouldn't mind the catapult being a counter to the holkins, with a larger range and as said, a lower firing frequency.

The problem I see with making tac missiles builable in a launcher is that they would either just be single target nukes (with high damage and long build times), or micro spamfests (with low buildtime and relatively low damage) that requires too much attention.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Wut?
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's situation dependent, quitch, imagine they were on a small moon.
  10. stonewood1612

Situation in detail:

Metal planet. 800 radius. No other planets. 6p ffa.

Some guy surrounded his base in two layers of walls, flak, T2 lasers. A bunch of Holkins were there too. And he had 3 anti nuke launchers and two nuke launchers. He also had an anchor fort floating above.

The Holkins were in range of more than half my base, and I couldn't run anywhere without bumping into another players base.

What do I do?
  11. chazz00999

chazz00999 Member

You die. :)
    Someone needs to win.
  12. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Looks like the guy got left alone for too long. :p
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Not leave to have dinner and expect to come back and win.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... pretty much ... because nukes and/or vanguards ...
  15. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Not every structure or every unit in every game dies :). It mostly depends on what you throw at eachother and who does best.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

sure ... but the thing however is at least in the case of PA there is always a stronger sword (or spear if you want) than there is a strong shield
    if you rely on your defenses too much and dont use your units offensively often enough no matter if tanks or turrets you will go down ... it is a good idea to parry attacks with your sword aswell ... but yea this is pretty situational stuff ...
  17. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

On that, we agree :)
  18. camycamera

camycamera Member

eh, that's me playing this game in a nutshell, i end up building defences everywhere but i don't build armies and attack regularly, and thus i am usually the first to die XD
  19. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

try scouting more so opponents do not setup defenses outside your base.