How to counter missle attacks

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lino722, March 17, 2014.

1. lino722

lino722 New Member

I only started yesterday but I was having missles(they looked like missles) hit my base from extreme range. I had the advanced radar up but couldn't see where the missles were coming from. Is there a base defense that will shoot them down? How do you counter it when its happening at your base?
  2. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

You send a load of tanks or bots or planes or it all combined in a large amount and then you wipe out whatever is bothering you xD
  3. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

sounds like you were getting catapulted. look at the direction the missiles are coming from and send scouts. after you find where they are destroy them with gunships/other stuff.

There are no defenses that can shoot them down, and (my opinion) I hope there never will be.

Note: if you are letting them sneak up on you, you need to scout more, just having radar will not work. Also it is a good idea when you are in that stage of the game to build some catapults of your own with radar to defend your base from catapults/other things.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

You had advanced radar, good job! advanced radar outranges t2 artillery by a huge margin.
    Well if you at least knew which blip was a structure and which a unit, you could at least take pot-shots at it with your own artillery but considering you ...don't... that's a no-go now isn't it?

vote here : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/differenciated-radar-blips.49424/
    delta1441 likes this.
  5. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

Just build nukes.
  6. ajsuk

ajsuk New Member

Catapults can defiantly be a pain, they can't easily be countered as they tend to one-hit-kill and do substantial damage over time. As has been mentioned, ideally you either need to identify where it's coming from and send something to take it out or build your own first. If you have a ton of build power/fabbers you can get your own up before they take them out but it ain't easy.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i said it before and i say it again ... antinukes and future anti missile defenses are NOT a counter ... those are just shields that sooner or later will get knocked out of your arm ... use your sword or axe etc ... ... always take out the root of the problem with your own units ...
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

eh, I suggest either build catapults a bit away from theirs so create a no buld zone between both you, sniping the artillery early while its still weak or half built, or sending a mass of units at it since it's rate of fire is low.
  9. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Yea there is no tactucal missile defense like it was in sup com and it has never been confirmed that there will be one. I severely wish there will. Catapults are a bit cheesy, especially when you can set up a couple of turrets with a double or tripple wall so easily now
  10. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

if your economy is good, you also can build a catapult fast vs catapults and manually attack those. if the enemy doesnt manually pick targets for the catapult you might be able to destroy them. But its risky vs a good player.
    Massive bomber runs can also help, but not if there is enough Anti Air

Sometimes the best move vs catapults is to let them destroy everything in range and use all power to attack somewhere else with less defenses, but this only works if the catapult will not destroy all your eco and production^^
    delta1441 likes this.
  11. Mosse

Mosse Member

By building missiles of your own to take out theirs....simple.:)
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Just incase this was the problem, if you have t2 radar and you can't see what is bothering you other than nuke you may be having energy problems. Radars require energy to function :D

Edit: their is an orbital unit that also can shoot straight from above so you need to be aware of that too. Rare to see one before 30 mins
  13. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Wel ideally you want to do that in case your defenses get taken out, or in case he builds more which would oversaturate your defensive capabilities.

Still though, I hope tac missile defenses will become a thing. Simply because on class 2 (or below) planets, a single tac missle and radar can shut down any drop/teleporter. The only downside of these missiles is that they need time to get to their target/ so if you can drop a fabber/teleporter and rush out an anti missile, you have time establish a beachead and kill the basterd.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

fixed ... in case your defenses are taken down be they static or mobile you are likely to lose ...
  15. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Quoting something and then changing what's in the quote is very bad ettiquette at best. Downright misleading or offensive at worst.
    If you want to 'fix' something I said, please do so below the quote, not in it.

Additonally 'before' implies your defenses will always go down. 'In case' implies more of a precaution.
    Last edited: March 18, 2014
  16. hansolo88

hansolo88 New Member

Having had some chances to play with them for a while now, I really have come to think that Catapults are a bit overpowered. I feel like either the damage of the missiles or the rate of fire need to be nerfed a bit.

The game not including shields or missile defense is ok with me, and I like that the Catapult launchers are fairly fragile, expensive, and drain power. But being on the receiving end of the kind of destruction Catapults can rain is incredibly frustrating and I feel like they can do too much damage too quickly.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what i'vesuggested since the begining is to have them be manual fire and non-homming. this way their strength could be justified.

But for the moment speed-buiding a catapult within range of a com is a brilliant and loophole-free strat ......and evidently O.P.
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

If only there was some kind of incredibly cheap and fast air unit you could fly over to find which blip to shoot.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  19. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Not really the case if enemy anti air cover is good enough. Then only T2 sats work, but those are expensive and slow to build.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

So they constructed a catapult and AA so deep in every direction you can't get vision on it? WTF were you doing all game?

For that kind of investment you could park a radar satellite over it. Or send more than one Firefly.
    cptconundrum likes this.