Graphics Update, V1.2

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by varrak, March 15, 2014.

1. varrak

varrak Official PA

First off - let me make the disclaimer that this post refers to changes that will go live some time in the not-too-distant future. They're not out in the wild just yet. This is more of a "I had a busy week, but it was awesome, and now I want to share" post.

A little while ago I noticed that a lot of our CPU-side performance was going to drawing lights. Huh. "Drawing lights". This might seem like an odd statement to the non-graphics programmers out there, so let me explain.

The PA engine is a Deferred Rendering Engine. Wikipedia has a good reasonable article covering the basics here. Although it's very basic... but anyway. With deferred rendering, you render geometry once, and then you add lighting after the fact. The big advantage of deferred rendering is that you can add lots and lots of lights, and it's (relatively) cheap. To draw a light, in PA, we just render a box, or a capsule, or a sphere, using a special technique, and the shader used to render that geometry composes lighting into the scene.

Anyway... back to the story. I noticed drawing lights was starting to cost us a lot of CPU performance. Since we're a deferred engine, our technical artist started adding more interesting stuff to the scene, in the form of lights. All buildings have lights on them now. The commanders have had headlights for a while (no shock there). Explosions have lights. The fog of war is rendered as lights. Fab spray effects spit out several lights, per spray. We have lots of lights. (I actually measured one game I played to have around 7500 lights, which is... a lot.)

Anyway, when the engine was originally written we didn't have that many, so we drew them the easy way (one by one). This works great for a few dozen, or even for a few hundred. But for thousands? It adds up.

So I got a bee in my bonnet last week about instancing the lights. When a really busy game is taking 20 millseconds to execute 7000 draw calls just for lights, you need to do something... so I made some changes so that we could batch the lights. So, those 7000 draw calls? Now it's more like 7. (Actually, it's exactly 7). Not bad. It also takes a lot less time. Bonus!

That was a good start, but I noticed the framerate would still take a dive if I got close up to a massed army of several hundred units. After careful measurement, I realized in this case we were GPU bound (meaning the GPU was taking longer to perform work than the CPU). Oh dear... well, it turns out, all those units in a big mass, rendering fog-of-war lights? That was a lot of pixels getting written out, which even the beefiest GPU will start to struggle with. So that got me thinking... the fog of war is basically created as a full-screen stencil type thing that we composite over the scene. Do we really need to do that at full size? Also, notice how it's slightly blurry around the edges? Maybe we can use that...?

Turns out, we can actually render the fog-of-war buffer at 1/16th resolution. That's 1/16th of the pixels. If you are running at 1920x1080 (for a total of 2 million pixels), we would only actually perform the operation on 130,000 of them.

It makes things faster. It also has little to no impact visually. It's a win. And you'll be seeing that in a build coming your way soon (next week, with any luck).

Anyway, I'm really excited about these latest changes. It should make a noticeable difference to almost everyone out there. :)
    Last edited: March 15, 2014
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks for another great post!

I just wonder if there some "statistics for nerds" in client except one available with Ctrl+P? :oops:
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Thanks for this! I really enjoy these graphics updates.

I wish more of the devs would write things like this. :)
    LavaSnake, Remy561 and varrak like this.
  4. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Very interesting. Do you have any figures on the performance boost this allows?
    Also, will there be a feature to disable FoW visual queues? I hate seeing circles all over the map in spectator mode, for instance.
  5. varrak

varrak Official PA

I was hesitant to give figures, since it's going to vary from machine to machine, and we've not tested it widely in the office yet. I just played a game at home, and I stayed at 60fps most of the game. Experiments on a planet on my Geforce 660 at work gave 40+fps with ~600 units on-screen, up close.
  6. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Keep it coming... :)
  7. varrak

varrak Official PA

Actually, I added light-count to the Ctrl+P stat screen; it shows how many API calls we make, and how many light instances.
  8. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

So this is why there was lag when units moved around the map.

Dayam.

Can you render the fog-of-war buffer at even lower resolution then?
    varrak likes this.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I compliment you sir, you are a credit and valued asset to your team, you bring great honor to your lotus.
  10. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

For lower end machines will there be graphical options to reduce the resolution of fog of war even more? Maybe to 1/32? Just thinking of pushing the performance enhancements of low end machines.
    stormingkiwi, varrak and Martenus like this.
  11. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

Well done you superstar. I hope you're proud of yourself.
    varrak likes this.
  12. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Hell yea. Any performance upgrade for this old machine is a good one. Thanks man.
  13. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Please, just start a blog. You and Bgolous have the best write ups by far.
    glinkot and vyolin like this.
  14. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Too many "o"s... :oops:
    vrishnak92 likes this.
  15. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Now you got a spare one, you lucky bastard!
    BulletMagnet, varrak and cptconundrum like this.
  16. pcnx

pcnx New Member

So did you draw each light in one deferred render call as in drawing x quads and applied the shader to each individual light?
  17. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Good read. Thanks!
  18. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Stuff like this is good, the more technical the better. Reminds me I should read some of the blogs more.
    varrak likes this.
  19. varrak

varrak Official PA

When you get much lower it starts falling apart (ie looking ugly). But there is certainly the potential to make this a user controllable option. Bear in mind, there's probably more we can do to make this even better, too...
  20. varrak

varrak Official PA

Pretty much, except we draw volumes not quads. Low res spheres, boxes and frusta. Now we group them by type, and dispatch while groups at one go. Much faster :)
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.