Unit Cannon Ideas/Questions; a picture too!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, March 11, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

One at a time? In the middle of a T2 air patrol that puts the USSRs parades to shame? Sounds like it'll work out.
    iron420 likes this.
  2. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

If the Astraeus is one-way only, I'd make it hecka cheaper than it is.

And at that point I think I'd structure it a bit differently by sending units TO the launchpad, which will build a rocket around them and blast them to a destination.

That would also allow them to be used in big groups more easily.

EDIT

I recall the concept video having a significantly different take on getting things to other planets, too... you'd build a rocket, put a thing on top of the rocket, and it would go one-way to a destination and deploy. That has some potential in my opinion, and could change the Astraeus's role to something more like a reusable and massable transport system.
    Last edited: March 13, 2014
  3. rancor47

rancor47 Member

Dropping 100 T2 fighters and some flack tanks would help. The astreaus should then be a bit cheaper though
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

A really cheap astraeus would be pretty damn cool. You could use them for orbital drops and they aren't much use at the moment because of speed vs orbital fabbers.
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

It would be, although I'd be worried that it might defeat the purpose of the unit cannon when it's added (both would be cheap mass-transports, but one needs to be on a moon and the other doesn't).
  6. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

I think the Unit Cannon would be much more difficult to counter - for one, units traveling by cannon would spend very little time in the orbital and aerial layers and as such would be minimally subject to anti-orbital and anti-air attacks. And I think a Unit Cannon would probably be able to handle quite a large volume of units in a very short time frame - once you had it you'd no longer need to mass-produce Astrei unless your target outranged your Unit Cannon.
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

With the on and off talk about the unit cannon, maybe this is the direction the game will take for release, at least initially. A swarm of astrei would be a viable alternative to a unit cannon I think.
  8. matty999

matty999 New Member

Please don't take this the wrong way; but that is not a claim you can make. Uber has still not make a successful game to date they don’t exactly have the best track record.
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Many people at Uber have perhaps the only track record that counts for this type of RTS. I know I'm not posting here because of SMNC.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i am generaly for the unitcannon as the only droppod transportoption any other has to transit between layers in order to release the units ... the unit cannon by itself is save on an asteroid until either a landingparty gets to it or nukes and satalites destroy it ... every other option should be like your standart transport just being able to travel between planets ... in theory those can be destroyed by so many things like avangers perergins or spinners that that would be a reason to have them cheap imo ... i rather imagine the unitcannon to be quite expensive ... also orbital planecarriers
    carlorizzante likes this.
  11. EdgarAlanPWN

EdgarAlanPWN New Member

What about a multi unit astraeus? What about a lander that will drop 4/6 units?

That would reduce the number of astraeus needed, and allow an easier invasion that currently possible using single unit astraeus.
    igncom1 likes this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That, plus one shot rockets.

We could get some wicked epic invasions of thousands of rockets filled with troops.
    DalekDan likes this.
  13. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

That would be super fine if they didn't sell the game already.

The Unit Cannon may not be a necessity. But a viable interplanetary invasion mechanic it is. Just smashing asteroids isn't really enough.
    vyolin likes this.
  14. igncom1

Well, until they fix all the bugs with them, yeah.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i agree and disagree .... having mexxes at asteroids can make a lot of sense when you build a system in which resources are rare on the mainplanets ... this makes asteroids more intresting to hold then to smash ...
    we simply need the tools for beeing able to get a propper landingparty on those .. i think it can be done without it becoming a grind ...
  16. matty999

matty999 New Member

I’m not sure if you have seen some of the original dev posts in this topic they appear to be deleted now. The quote in question was from Brad he simply stated the unit cannon was low priority without any further explanation. This lead to confusion some believed this meant the unit cannon would not make an entry into the game until sometime after release. (As it turns out this seems to be true) Clear communication is necessary in interactions such as these.

The general attitude from the devs seems to indicate they think the community is being unreasonable in requesting a promised feature. Here I will leave you with analogy hopefully providing you some insight into why some people feel cheated and disappointed in Uber.

Picture this.You are dinning at restaurant; the waiter states the meal will come in approximately one hour. An hour latter the waiter comes out and tells you meal will take longer than expected, now estimated to take an additional three hours. You think it's excessive but you don’t complain. The restaurant is small and you didn’t expect it to come out on time in the first place. After waiting the remaining three hours the food arrives you look at you plate and then back to the waiter. You tell him a mistake must have occurred as the truffle mash you ordered is absent. The waiter just stares back and tells you it was a low priority. This seems a bit unreasonable to you. You try to communicate the frustrations you feel to the waiter. The waiter seems taken back and tells you the way that you react when I say stuff makes me want to talk less by the way. Then he just hands you the bill and walks away.

Uber talks about they are different and tell it how it is. I respect that but vague statements about important issues are bad. If Uber is going to be truthful with the community then this needs to go both ways. Uber needs to be prepared to respect the concerns of the community without resorting to such unprofessional behaviour.
    iron420 and carlorizzante like this.
  17. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Trust me, that post wasn't deleted. And for the 40th time today, we've been as clear as we can about the Unit Cannon. We're just as bummed as you are that it won't be coming out in the near future. Decisions like this aren't easy.
    vyolin likes this.
  18. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

That is possibly the worst analogy I have ever seen. Its more like you buy an apartment, the apartment is due to be finished early 2014 but you are allowed to move in early. However if you move in early you may not have cable or other mod cons you want for comfort. Due to some problems and free improvements to your home the finished date had been pushed back a couple of months with no extra cost.

And here you are complaining about handles on your kitchen cabinets. Really man? Handles? Get over it. You will get your handles later.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  19. igncom1

[​IMG]
    BulletMagnet likes this.
  20. matty999

matty999 New Member

My main concern is not about the delay of the unit cannon but the negative press the game may receive when released without key features. Games are reviewed within the first week of release. If these features are added post release this will not impact the reviews. I would prefer to have the official release pushed back if it means a higher quality product. I hope you can understand that I have only said these things because I want this game to succeed. This game has huge potential and I would hate to see it go to waste.

Brad can you confirm or deny if the unit cannon will be present in the Initial release?