[Poll] Laser Sats - Snipers, Bombardments or Beams?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, March 13, 2014.

?

Would you like to see any of the following as additions to the Orbital Laser (or as separate units)?

1. Sniper Laser (as we have now).

16.9%
  2. Longer Laser; between Beam and Snipe.

20.3%
  3. Beams (Think the SupCom Defense Satellite, except you'd be able to return fire).

50.8%
  4. Bombardments (Energy Shockwave on unit blobs).

30.5%
  5. Bombardments ('Bombs' on structures).

28.8%
  6. EMP Pulse which slowed/stops units moving.

18.6%
  7. EMP Pulse which stops units firing.

11.9%
  8. Anti Nukes (Unlimited/Extended Range)

22.0%
  9. Nukes (Unlimited Range)

8.5%
  10. A laser which fires burritos, cooking them on re-entry and driving them into the enemy Commander's m

44.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Hello males, females and quesadillas.
    I'm creating this Poll to get people talking and voting on possible means by which Orbital Lasers could interact differently with Ground/Naval Combat.

These aren't mutually exclusive, and may simply provide new avenues for the Orbital Unit roster.
    Thus Multiple Votes are allowed.

Here are all the options I can think of at 4am:
    • Sniper Laser (as we have now).
    • Longer Laser; between Beam and Snipe (Independence Day).
    • Beams (Think the SupCom Defense Satellite, except you'd be able to return fire).
    • Bombardments (Energy Shockwave on unit blobs).
    • Bombardments (Bombs on structures).
    • EMP Pulse which slowed/stops units moving.
    • EMP Pulse which stops units firing.
    • Anti Nukes (Unlimited/Extended Range - Perhaps range could be manually defined via a "Area Assist" Command)
    • Nukes (Unlimited Range - This would mean giving the Ground Nuke a maximum range again).
    • A laser which fires burritos, cooking them on re-entry and driving them into the enemy Commander's mouth hole at terminal velocity.

Anything you'd like to see happening with Orbital Lasers?
    Last edited: March 13, 2014
    Clopse likes this.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I think that having them as sustained beam weapons would be awesome!
    cdrkf and eroticburrito like this.
  3. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

Burritos would be the best option, food and technology dont mix well, so it might have some balancing issues but should work out fine :p.
    Geers and eroticburrito like this.
  4. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a line attack command for the laser satellite. When it reaches the start of the line, it turns the beam on and starts draining energy, and continues until the end of the line you drew. Obviously it should drain a decent amount of energy and/or move slower to discourage always having the beam on. Then you could queue up a series of line commands to draw smiley faces all over your enemies base... scorched smiley faces...
    eroticburrito likes this.
  5. eroticburrito

*imagines Commander glued up with cheese* That could totally be a unit lol. Glue gun.
    BulletsFrozen likes this.
  6. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

lol then explodes into a bunch of melted cheese, and chicken bits showering all units killing them instantly. Then the area where is the explosion happened is left as a deadzone, as no robot is advanced enough to handle all that cheesy goodness.
  7. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I'd like there to eventually be some kind of orbital bomber, so I'd leave dropping bombs to it.

I really like the idea of a crowd control satellite, that fires something like an Ubercannon pulse onto the planet that can vaporize a group of units in the center and splash EMP the rest, at a suitable cost.

I also really, really like the idea of some kind of anti-air satellite, to make teleporter drops vaguely feasible if there aren't nukes on planet already.

The SXX being more like an orbital annihilator, with a longer recharge time but stronger beam is something I'd prefer as well (Beam effect would be cool for this).
  8. eroticburrito

I considered this but poll options were limited and a burrito laser was an essential.
    Also I feel Flak already annihilates Air, though I agree we need an easier way of invading planets. I'm hoping we get Orbital Teleports for Air, and will be able to send Fighters+Transports over to invade. Trying to lay a Ground Teleporter down is equally impossible if your opponent has Nukes/Holkins.
    polaris173 likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You forgot about anti air homing missile sat.

It's something that they mentioned they might add and I really like the idea.

I do like the idea of a scatter shot or shockwave or whatever.
    polaris173 likes this.
  10. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

Very true, flak does decimate air. I was mainly referring to their use as planet crackers, but it sure would be annoying to have to take out both flak on the ground and satellites in orbital to make a successful air raid, and I like having annoying options like that as well. I think the unit cannon will also help with the invasion problem (hopefully).

Also, how is a burrito laser a weapon? My commander would be happy to receive freshly hypersonically cavitated burritos delivered directly to his vestigial robot mouth.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It would be interesting to have orbital suicide units that can fly over the target and then de-orbit in a fireball to smash into the ground. It would make the orbital game more interesting, because swarms of weak cheap kinetic bomberdment weapons can overwhelm an umbrella but my be easily killed by anchors and avengers.
  12. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Hmm Energy Shockwave, how about an Earthquake Generator which only does damage to structures......
  13. karolus10

karolus10 Member

I would very like to see SSX working like over-sized uber-canon, shooting energy projectile into the ground with splash damage (damaging/destroying air units in blast radius as well or even explode mid-air). Also like Uber-gun it would be massive power hog and take enormous amount of energy to recharge so keeping firing It (not mention using bunch of them) would require more power economy or storage.
  14. eroticburrito

AA Sats may have a role, but to be honest I was trying to avoid Air-Orbital mechanics as then we start talking about spaceplanes and that's a thread in itself. I also think we already have Flak wiping the floor with stacked Air, so need to see how AA shapes up before adding more.
  15. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Except invading other planets while your opponent is in full control of that planet is nigh impossible due to aircraft. Gotta just go for a scorched earth policy and smash it, nuke it, or laser sat snipe.
  16. eroticburrito

I agree. That's why I feel Orbital Teleporters would be the most viable solution, in order to allow an Air invasion.
    Last edited: March 13, 2014
  17. allister

allister Active Member

Right now, orbital attacks on the ground only feel like a very late game option considering the amount of time and metal it takes to make the SXX laser platform. I like the idea of having the SXX as a "T2 orbital laser", then adding a significantly weaker laser platform as a "T1 orbital laser". It should be as effective as several doxes so it doesn't take the old T2 air route: OP and severely abused. Perhaps the orbital launcher itself can build it, but sticks between 6,000 to 15,000 metal to produce. It could be a good counter against long range artillery.
  18. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Nonsense, more spice = more power
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

You can't just nuke it, because of anti-nuke. You need to:

[​IMG]

Finally, a reason to use this.
    MrTBSC, brianpurkiss and polaris173 like this.
  20. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

Personally I think orbital lasers are fine as is, what's wrong with them is that the umbrellas are virtually invincible since the only orbital thing that can take them out are lasers and not only do they dont stand a chance against the umbrellas but they're not even economically viable. You should just be able to produce orbital fighters on the ground and umbrellas be done away with or be really short range and expensive, ie. just for commander snipe protection not base protection.

If say orbital radar and power didnt exist, on a single planet system is there really that much of an incentive to go orbital? It feels very easy to ignore.

But then again I guess orbital is just not fully baked yet, hope we get to see orbital drops, ie. one use orbital transports that just doom drop units to the ground bypassing anti-air. Would certainly at least mess with stupid turret walls.
    Quitch likes this.