Laser turrets are too cheap/T1 land armies have vanished

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Quitch, March 9, 2014.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

No a t1 rocket bot! With flurries of missiles. Much explosions. Very cool. Thanks.
  2. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

I suggest you try out supreme commander, don't bother with campaign ,go for multiplayer.
  3. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

What if the Sheller, as-is, was just moved to T1?

It's a powerful unit but you can't just spam Shellers. Alone, they get eaten up by other units, including Dox. They are a "combined arms" unit, meaning you'd better combine them with other T1 units if you don't want them eaten up by a Dox push.

This plan is so crazy, it just might work.

They could probably even have their production cost edged up just a bit, on account of them being so darn useful at pushing defenses. But even being able to shove out 2 or 3 of them as part of your T1 attack could be the difference between a wall of death (2 T1 turrets and a wall) and a mere delay.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Or not.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  5. citizenscholar

citizenscholar New Member

Confirmed. This is a serious issue. I can completely shut down t1 with just a few turrets.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I can't. I had a massive line of turrets and they didn't help at all.
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Against T1 units?
    Did you have walls?
    I can overwhelm T1 turrets with T1 units sometimes, as long as they have no walls (and preferably no radar and no support from other units). But with walls they're devastating.
  8. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I don't see why not.

Or else we need to stop complaining that T2 is a straight upgrade to T1. If we want T1 to be useful, we should probably consider giving it some more useful units, and not just weaker versions of T2 units.

Until then, "rush T2" will be the name of the game because there's where all the good stuff will always be.
    godde, stuart98 and igncom1 like this.
  9. cyclopsis

cyclopsis Member

Pics or it didn't happen.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Shellers as-is to t1?
    lol
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

http://www.twitch.tv/y2bcrazy/b/509109869

He doesn't really interact with me at all, but you might be able to catch a glimpse. Match starts at around 1:40:00.
  12. midspark

midspark Member

Their cost needs to go up. Even if you manage to take out the first defenses, was stopping me from just making more turrets inside my base and nullifying your advance? The other problem is that, as you keep on spamming T1 units to take out their defenses, your opponent just slowly builds T2 until they get shellers or sniper bots and then will completely dominate the battlefield before you can get T2 up.

And that assumes a good game, if your opponent harasses your and denies you expansion or kills off your early fab units, well it's gg at that point.
    citizenscholar likes this.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No, we need the smasher T1 artillery bot, a unit in the vein of artillery bots in TA, which were weak against units yet easily able to destroy stationary turrets.
    Last edited: March 11, 2014
  14. midspark

midspark Member

Most likely a unit with low damage but bonus damage to armored targets. This will work nicely since the implementation is already there from the balancing of the commander's uber cannon.
  15. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

What is this game SC2 now? I didn't picked up this game to play rock paper scissors! Its bad enough they created Anchor solely to counter avengers. Now if it had the role of an expensive warship to break orbital stalemates it'd be fine :) Anyways my issue is a game that is design to simulate everything can't have rock paper scissor SC2/WC3 style unit counters as it defeats the purpose of simulating everything.

Also I'm surprised nobody put out the option of pelter creeping with your t1 army rush but even if that doesn't work someone has said you still get map control so more resources that would allow you to start your T2 building later than your opponent AND finish it first with a superior economy to back your first 2 T2 engineers for T2 economy :cool:
    zweistein000 and stuart98 like this.
  16. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

I don't feel that t1 lasers are too effective, I think they seem just about right fro their job. I would complain that as the game progresses and T2 units appear they become next to useless. Which seems counter to the flatness promised, in that units would remain useful through the game.
    I don't see a reason why theirs T1 and T2 to begin with. Have everything built in the same factory, the cost in metal and energy should be the only thing that decides if you can build a unit.
  17. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Shellers still cost 575 metal. What are you going to do? Crank them out? With a T1 economy? Good luck with that.

But you could make a few. And a few shellers could do something to walls and laser turrets, if you could keep a storm of Dox from coming out and gunning them down. 575 metal will buy you 6 Dox and I don't think 1 Sheller can stop 6 Dox, so you'd better have a decent plan.

Of course, if you are satisfied with the current rush to T2, with T1 land armies mainly being cannon fodder for T2 land armies, we could just leave the game the way it is. Or we could create a really terrible T1 artillery unit which the T2 Sheller totally replaces, which seems to be the trend.

But do try not to knee-jerk too hard next time. You'll cause a sprain.
    Grimseff and lilbthebasedlord like this.
  18. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

I think first of all they should make walls a bit more expensive. but above all take slightly longer to put up. Then for the laser turrets, simply make them more expensive. I understand some people love playing defensively with these tools, but if you are going to play defensive there should be a brief period of vulnerability while you are preparing defences. Not only this but defensive towers shouldn't stop all attacks from causing any harm. Defensive structures should be used to cover weak spots or places where assistance would be needed to hold enemy forces off for short periods of time. You shouldn't be able to put a dual laser turret behind 3 layers of walls, and use it to take down 40 pounders at once. Simply make it less spam-able so people actually have to think about where the turret would do them good and not just queue 30 of them in a circle around your base.
    Quitch and Murcanic like this.
  19. spainardslayer

spainardslayer Well-Known Member

I think that turrets and walls need to cost more metal and need to be built much slower. Also, T1 needs some sort of artillery unit that is able to take down static defences, like a not with a long range rocket launcher that fires a few rockets at a time. The wall/turret combo is just way too good right now.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes.
    You can easily get like 200 to 300 metal/s on t1.
    Currently after that you first have to tech to t2, which costs like 5,5k metal.
    Now you can proceed to directly spam shellers, one every 2 seconds.
    That's a ton of shellers.
    Last edited: March 11, 2014
    zweistein000, Quitch and Clopse like this.