Interface lag

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Quitch, March 8, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

In the tournament today I was getting some really nasty UI lag, like selection boxes which didn't clear, clicks which took seconds to register. Haven't had this before while the sim was running smoothly (no skipping units or anything) and these weren't massive games, just standard 1v1. Even the chat interface was lagging.

Anyone else seen anything similar? I want to try and isolate the cause before the next tourney. Losing to the interface is not fun at all :(

EDIT: There is now a ticket on the bug tracker you can vote for.
    Last edited: March 20, 2014
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Actually, I have been noticing that a bit, and now that you point it out, it's relatively new.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I've been noticing my selection boxes seem to get stuck and stay open longer than they should making unit selection troublesome.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Ive been having this problem all along. Thought it was just me.
  5. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

The only problem I've noticed is trying to get teleporters hooked up. It seems like everything else is responding well enough but sometimes I have to click a teleporter to link up like 5+ times before it actually links and starts letting units through. I have like +25000 energy, both teleporters are definitely finished, nothing seems to be wrong but I'm clicking the link-up and it's not registering.

Not sure if it's dropping the commands sometimes or if they're just lagging 10+ seconds behind sometimes (I just keep clicking it so it could be either).
  6. zlord

zlord New Member

I have not great PC and i notice that lag too, after 5 mins of playing against easy AI it already takes about second to render building/unit selection window after i select commander/factory, very annoying stuff
  7. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

Its really strange. I have noticed ever since the recent builds came out. In one of my rounds I even lost my first mex and power gen to it :(. Was not the best time I have had on PA.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's not as bad as it was in alpha, but it is definitely worse than it was in beta.
  9. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I had this all the way since the start of alpha, but it became worse recently. I am starting to wonder if going for coherent UI really was a good option...
  10. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

I noticed this within the last few builds, a bit before gamma
  11. cola_colin

Yes. Even it keeps lagging forever it was a good idea. The mod-ability is beyond my wildest dreams.
    In in reality lagging will go away with better machines, better mod-ability cannot be achieved without initial support.
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Moddability could have been achieved otherwise aswell - probably requiring a lot more work.
    But I am not quite sure if this problem is even really fixable, considering that coherent is third party software and nothing has been done about that since the start of alpha.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Task on bugtracker: PA#3205

Uber didn't update Coherent since September so possible all crashes/freezes might be fixed after they move to newer version.

PS: Current used version is 1.5.2 while latest is 1.8.1.
    Last edited: March 10, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  14. cola_colin

It was far worse in alpha for me. Like FAR worse. It's gotten A LOT better with all the performance updates they made. So I'd say it is a pure performance issue. Just throw a better machine at it and it will be gone. Or have Uber update coherent, it might help as well.

EDIT:
    oh btw reading the coherent build notes:
    1.8.0: "Fixed View names appearing in the Debugger."
    Err, isn't that a very annoying issue with the new panels? A coherent update really might be pretty damn cool

EDIT 2:
    Yeah lots of cool stuff in the coherent updates.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I seen many UI technologies, but non of them was anywhere near modable as those based on Chromium. E.g flash-based Scaleform it's just joke compared to something we have and any other UI solution is so bad...

Unfortunately developers time is always limited and performance can't be main priority within development process. So it's understandable why Coherent is old and why they didn't fixed few UI issues from start.
  16. giggle

giggle New Member

Yes almost had two game ruined because of this? Its way worse since last patch? Whats up?