Let's Talk about Gil-Es

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by stuart98, March 10, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Sniper Bots. Shots destroy most anything, long cooldown time. Slower than most bots, but faster than tanks. Vulnerable to massed armies and air. This is what Gil-E's should be. However, they are currently as fast as doxen and can take too much of a beating before dieing to be killed by massed armies or T1 air, leaving T2 air as the only hard counter and shellers as a stalemate. I propose the following changes.

Speed: 12-> 8
    Health: 200 -> 50
    Range: 140 -> 130

By reducing their ability in hit and run tactics, making them as easy to kill via air as fabbers and by making it so that shellers outrange them their potency should be much reduced.
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I like the speed debuff. I think lowering the health to that low might be a little drastic for such an advanced unit.

Slammers would 1 shot the sniper, Alleged tanks would almost wipe a sniper out.

I think snipers do a little to much single shot damage that is inflating the hp of other advanced vehicles. They already 1 shot every T1 unit.

Maybe its intentional considering the sniper is meant to kill commanders.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Not sure how I feel about the health and rnage change, but I really like the speed change.
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Sniper bots are good only in certain situations. But are micro intensive and easy to kill. Remove the speed and they are useless.

T2 balance is really good right now, as was shown in thi weekends tournaments.
  5. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Dropping the health to 50 seems excessive considering T1 bombers now do 100 damage. Are you basing these figures on numbers you remember from previous patches, or actual tournament results?
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Stop the GIL-Es shooting through terrain and I think you're done. Maybe that's already been done, they certainly seem to hit walls which I was told they don't.
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Shellers outrange them - Sheller 260, Gil-E 140.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Slower. Sure.

Possibly edit some numbers to make it inable to shoot and move or something.

Not really into range decrease, and health increase is worthless in a game where units are like popcorn.

Really, besides their speed, their damage could use a tweaking. Use the armor system on them, or lower their damage a bit. They already clear whole armies relatively quickly, make it so they clear all base health units in 4 shots, but take 16 shots to kill structures. That should help, although still they could be threatening as hell to bases which still makes them fairly fairly strong. I still bet this would remove their edge though. Possibly not as server as above nerf if speed nerfed as well.
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

50 HP is ridiculous. Decreasing their range is reducing their strength, not giving them a weakness.
    They need to be integrated into bot armies without slowing them down, so speed debuff is also a bad idea. Bots all move at the same speed for a reason (with the exception of the boom, which might as well not exist in its current state anyway).
    I can't agree with a single one of the changes you've suggested, but if we're making suggestions to nerf them in a way that keeps them good at their roles, I'd suggest reducing their firing speed to make them less effective against large numbers of units, or forcing them to face forward while firing so they can't kite as effectively. Now they're still effective at sniping, they aren't made of paper, they don't slow down your whole legion of bots and they have a proper weakness.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I like the idea behind these changes.

Right now, if you want to win, you use GIL-Es. If you want to screw around with your opponent before killing him, use Shellers.

Definitely need a change there. I think we need to start nerfing them one stat at a time and see how that changes balance. Otherwise, we might over-nerf them into nothing.
  11. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think I would keep everything the same but maybe tweak their DPS down, either by lowering the damage per shot or increasing the time between shots.

Although it's worth noting that Shellers already do 3x the DPS of a Gil-E.
  12. woutske

woutske New Member

Gil-E has been nerfed already, they used to be able to destroy whole bases in seconds, but are now useless when there is one wall between them and the base. They will target the wall and then get shot at by towers. I don't see a problem.
  13. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

walls dont stop them for long, if you let them run into the towers range its your fault.
    I think they are too powerfull. The problem is, that speed combined with that range. If it was slow moving (or deploying like in Forged Alliance for the Aeon Sniper Bots) it would not be so bad, but right now, their only weakness is their health, and when the player is good, he easily can micro them so that health doesnt play a big role.

Though i would say, they are powerful, bot not overpowered. It needs further testing
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Most players build t2 veh rather than bots, trust me if people thought Gil e were op this would not be the case.
    matizpl likes this.
  15. godde

godde Well-Known Member

In big numbers, Shellers and Vanguards counter Gil-E. Have you seen 10 Gil-Es die to 1 Sheller shot? I have.

Although it seems that Shellers are unable to use their full range in most situations so Gil-Es and Vanguards seem to be a better combo overall as the Gil-Es can keep up with the Vanguards without the Vanguards having to slow down.
    Sheller speed:5
    Vanguard speed:7
    Gil-E speed:12
  16. Quitch

I find Shellers great in theory but really unreliable in practice.
  17. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I find both Shellers and Gil-Es unreliable on attack move and patrol. Usually I want them to stay at maximum range to the enemy but they tend to walk/drive straight into the enemy a lot which might be due to blocking wrecks and terrain.
  18. Quitch

Really? I give GIL-Es an attack command and they do so from max range (though you need to be careful about the flanks), while Shellers don't seem to stop moving. GIL-Es do seem to miss a lot with their attacks though, so many shots going into space for some reason, I once had to run a group away from a single tank because they just couldn't seem to hit it!
  19. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Gil-Es can also destroy orbital units or has that been fixed?
  20. Quitch

Really? Trololololol.

I think one of my Leviathans fired into space during the tournament. No idea what was happening there.