An amazing planet no one has ever seen

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killzone5017002, March 9, 2014.

1. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

Try having a professional battle on this planet. Your commander and buildings will sink to the core for an epic battle no one can see HAHA

Attached Files:

2. killzone5017002

another one

Attached Files:

3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I really hope Uber makes it so we can actually play on planets that have as much terrain variance to them as the first planet.
    camycamera, FXelix, corteks and 3 others like this.
  4. riddick3

riddick3 New Member

I wish they had the deserts with the mesas and stuff. that would be so awesome.
  5. brianpurkiss

They do have deserts with mesas and stuff.

They're a little buggy, but you can even build on top of them with air fabbers. Like I said, it's buggy so you can only build on the larger plateaus, but that'll hopefully change in the future.
  6. maxmurder

maxmurder New Member

Our game actually didn’t go to badly after I figured out the bugs. It will be neat if Uber works out the bugs on extreme planets like this, the terrain would add a neat dynamic to the game.
  7. brianpurkiss

The main difficulty is the UI. When on a top down view, you can't really see the height differences.

So if we get terrain that is this varied, there needs to be some change to the UI or visuals of it so we can see what's going on.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Height range values over 100 have been done before. /killjoy

Problem is, ridiculous planets have almost no flat terrain for a base, they're just generally glitchy, and it can be difficult to tell whether units can see or shoot each other.
  9. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I think once computers can run 5,000+ radius planets in a few years, this type of thing will be added in pretty quickly. The problem seems to be that planets are just too small right now to make serious height variation not look ridiculous or cause all sorts of clipping/line of sight/other problems.
    corteks and stuart98 like this.
  10. riddick3

riddick3 New Member

I mean this kinda stuff

[​IMG]
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

This would be possible in the game at present if the scale was more proper. The scale is so egregiously off right now that it would take features being 10 times as big as they are for this to be possible at present. Obviously that would look quite bad, so here's to hoping that uber makes buildings and units more realistically sized.
  12. killzone5017002

Ha check this one out

Attached Files:

ace902902 likes this.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Aaaand I think that's enough of that.

What does a planet with a height range of 100 (Playable) look like?
  14. brianpurkiss

Features like that aren't very feasible. Plateaus like that would stick out so far off of the planet... it'd be like having a bunch plateaus larger than everest sticking up off of a planet.

I hope they introduce feature scaling. So when we start playing on size 2,000 planets then we can have features to that scale.
    corteks and stuart98 like this.
  15. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I think your planet has a tumor

by the way, i liked the planet landscape overall, what was the seed, radius and water height used?
  16. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

I would be honestly fine with "Plateaus the size of Everest" on planets. Since when was this game going for realistic? I think they would look fine as long as they were no higher or just a little shorter than" mountains" are now. Mountains don't look like mountains right now anyway in my opinion.

To add to the feature scaling idea, for bigger planets say 1300 or 2000 it would be nice to have canyons that you could build buildings in.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  17. killzone5017002

Like, radius 1200 with a 500 height
  18. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

Sorry wrong thread
  19. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Seriously stop using the "it wouldn't be realistic" argument people. Actually plateaus sticking out further would most probably look great and add variance to planets which are currently simply flat, putting further emphasis on the game's style (which has already greatly suffered due to the loss of swirls).
    Antiglow likes this.
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Swirls? What swirls?