I hate water maps & the navy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, March 7, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I hate playing water dominated maps because the navy sucks.
    1. Ships are slow. Like, painfully slow.
    2. Ship steer like a cow and never manoeuvre how you expect them to. You can't do much more than sail straight at the other guy and hope you have more ships.
    3. Ships get tangled on everything. Every building, every bit of wreckage, each other.
    4. Fog of war is invisible. It's almost impossible to tell what I can and cannot see.
    5. T1 ships are irrelevant, they're totally outranged by T2 and the speeds are identical.
    6. Selection boxes are dreadful, especially when T2 ships are around and you will struggle to select anything nearby because of it.
    7. There is only one strategy: tech hard and fast. T1 navy is too slow to harass in the way you would in a ground game T1 air can't stop you.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
  2. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I'm really looking foreword to subs, underwater buildings and sinking wreckage. Oh, and hovercraft. Water has been seriously neglected so far.
    hahapants likes this.
  3. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Your entire list is just balance issues with a little bit of pathfinding. The game is not nearly done in those areas.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. Quitch

Well duh, but waiting until it's done to highlight issues is stupid.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Prepare to be flamed.

I love using naval - but I'm partial to large battleships anyway....

it would be nice if narwhals were much faster than they are now, and Orcas were upped in speed too. The battleships and stingers are slow enough as is.

Part of this problem also lies in the fact that for some reason, the selection boxes for naval are squares - which makes them seem bigger than they actually are. It will be fixed, hopefully sooner than later.
  6. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

But the leavthan makes up for it.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I agree the navy is currently in a much less polished state than everything else so it stands out a bit. I'm confident that Uber will improve things though.

One thing I must say though- watching a leviathan let loose with all guns on a coastal bombardment is a beautiful thing :) What I'd say with respect to the navy is that it has potential, it's just not there yet.
  8. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I think they did not touch sea since alpha.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Balance is still being worked on.

Pathfinding is being worked on.

As for wrecks, they won't be like what they are down the line. In the future wrecks will break up and sink to the bottom of the ocean, so they won't make impossible to navigate graveyards.

Lots of changes are coming to naval.
  10. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

True. But as soon as you get larger ships, those are awesome.

I would really like more variety on water, though. And Submarines.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

It seems pretty obvious navy didn't get much care yet because otherwise sorian would have been able to move forward in that domain.

We have to be patient.

I am the most passionate navy player. I can't wait, I just want to see what navy's got in store for us.
    you do bring up a relevant point.
    the wreckages, especially in the case of navy where they are so big, naval warfare become so ridiculously clunky that nothing can be done because of them alone.

I don't like the wreckage's mechanic on land (Where I believe tanks should be able to crush them under their tracks and bots climb over them. ...Otherwise why doesn't everything have wheels?!) but it is worse tenfold on water.

AND

why do wrecks float? I'm certain this is temporary, for example plane's wrecks continue their "flight" for awhile which is weird. and in supcom wrecks would sink to the bottom of the water. I think this will eventually be the case in PA.

It would be much more logical for ships not to have to deal with wrecks at all.
  12. Quitch

Incidentally, the wreckage selection boxes suck too. Half the time I find myself firing on them instead of units.
  13. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I remember one of the animation guys on the livestream talking about once he got the tools to do it he wanted to have wrecks sink in a cool way.
  14. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

part of me wants naval to stay simple (yes, pls fix the selection boxes & pathing problems, of course...). surely I'll get better as I practice more, but good lord; bots, vehicles, air, orbital, t2, transports, nukes, planet smashing, and NAVAL? ugh.. presently, I kinda ignore naval and hope it goes away (obviously, it's not, but that's my head-in-the-sand approach atm)

it's a good thing this game is fun to play while I learn to manage all this!
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It's obvious that naval wreckages (that needs to be a word by the way, someone get on that) need to sink instead of annoyingly sitting there, but I still like naval, it's slow sure, but it's SO powerful it isn't even funny.
  16. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

Yeah I hate naval too with a passion.. You can imagine my disgust when I was put in a pastats 1v1 map that was all water the other day
  17. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Ships should be fast imo, when they get up to speed. but turn slowly.

There is fun and then there is balance, super slow units arent fun, when its units you have in mass, now big units like giant units, i can accept being slow. But navy is just painful, its like slow motion. Move here, then i go take a shower, eat some food, watch some TV, go to the gym, make some dinner, then i come back, and the navy is almost moved 2 screens away.

Take it slow, as it where from the Battlecruiser quote.
  18. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

Yeah, T1 naval should definitely be quicker. I would take a damage nerf/speed buff there anyday; right now the waiting can get pretty tedious. T2 can be all slow and lumbering for the crazy firepower it's got, but man, T1 is really, reaaalllly too slow. I don't care if Uber speeds up what's there or adds in some new fast naval assault units, but one or the other will hopefully happen.
  19. kimmynl

kimmynl New Member

Hate the navy? How can you hate the navy?

In the navy, you can sail the seven seas! o_O
    igncom1, Geers and stormingkiwi like this.
  20. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

Or sometimes the 3 ponds...:(
    Geers and stormingkiwi like this.