DISCUSS: How to ease beginners into PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, March 2, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah but I think this is were we can come in handy. we can produce a tutorial video that's just as professional looking or more so than what Uber would produce and allow them more deliciousbugfixing time.
    drz1 likes this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh modders are awesome.
    Also, I think in an ideal world, we would have a fully formed tutorial video AND tutorial match/sandbox/whatever, so that whichever way you wanted to learn the game, you could. But I'm guessing budget and time constraints will limit this significantly. So again, modders rock :p
  3. tatsujb

I meant the community in a more general way, modders that are good with code as a general rule aren't particularly good with infographics.

so no not modders in this case.

But know that @brianpurkiss already has a ton of video tutorials up and I wouldn't mind co-producing one, or making one of mine own destined to be the official one for PA at least for awhile until an even better one is made and so on.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. tatsujb

So I started work on the communal tutorial video project : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/tutorial-video.57525/
    and am currently working on the script.
    If we all pull together on this we can make a video so slick and PRO, noone at Uber will have the heart to turn it down and not use it as the main video.

read some of the OP please
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
    drz1 likes this.
  5. buttnuggets

buttnuggets New Member

"The only way to really ease someone in is through a scripted scenario, be that the opening of a campaign or a dedicated tutorial. It needs to be interactive because videos have been shown not to work primarily because you're trying to teach an interactive medium through a passive video." <<<<<<<-------- This.
    "we can produce a tutorial video that's just as professional looking or more so "
    I have no doubt that's true, with humor and everything else you can't do in a bland tutorial. But there should be a tutorial match with pauses and bubbles and all that fun command and conquer stuff. Since that is how humans learn. Since this franchise is obviously C+C for spergs on steroids (you have to think in 5 dimensions: water,land,air,space,other planets), I think it's a good match to have that as a special AI (tutorial AI) in the lobby, people will recognize it as an old friend for a teaching tool.
    ---------
    Appreciate the effort you put into teaching tatsujb.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
  6. coulter47

coulter47 Member

I normally pick them up put them in my Teamspeak and play with them, but the idea of a modded teacher would be great.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

If the tutorial doesn't state something like "Good God, son, you're the best I've ever trained!" after you master camera controls then it's not a true RTS tutorial ;)
    hearmyvoice, cwarner7264 and tripper like this.
  8. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

For newbs:
    1: Apply lube
    2: Reach down and touch your tows.
    3: Brace for impact.

The main thing is that most of the newbs that I have played with don't get the Massive part of this RTS and don't expand and keep with the tiny base concept of other rts.
    The tutorial needs to convey that you can area build mex and that its a massive army game and not a small time strategy game.
  9. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Yea, I think the very first thing the tutorial does is plop player down and tell them,
    "Cover this entire planet with buildings. All of it. This is what your goal is every game."
    ORFJackal likes this.
  10. tatsujb

cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

You might want to use the "reply" button, or use @"insert name here" to make sure the OP gets an alert that you have quoted them :)
  12. pizzalover3000

pizzalover3000 Active Member

I do actually agree, with the big mess being an annoying feature, however all our brains have been trained with flat maps in mind. AoE2: I built defence around choke points and kept people out. SupCom2: I built defence around choke points and kept people out. StarCraft2: I built defence around choke points and kept people out. (Seeing a trend?)

Yes, it is one big mess. Like: "lets put five pelters here" or "I think some energy would be nice right here". It feel's like some teenager's bedroom. However I say that we must diagram our bases off a teenager's bedroom. This is because even though it may look like a mess, if you have a good memory you still know where stuff is.

If you know that the enemy is attacking from all the sides build your own choke points! Build around lakes and mountains and keep scouting the enemy. If it looks like a HUGE mess then you are doing it right. If it looks like a SMALL orderly pile of crap, you are doing it wrong. We have to wrap our heads around this idea and pull up our big boy pants and actually 'turn on' our brains and problem solve.