Available game list is incredibly small.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by idsan, March 5, 2014.

1. idsan

idsan Member

After watching a livestream where Garat streamed his screen as he joined a game, I was amazed that there was more than a page of available games. I've only ever seen up to eight - maybe, just maybe up to ten - games in the lobby list at any one time. Granted, this still enables me to play, and after the most recent build, play more regularly (server connection issues minimised :D), but I still feel like there aren't many games being shown.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia and this is the case no matter which servers I select in options. So I'm wondering:

- is this a regular thing?

- is the amount of viewable games to be joined determined mainly by location?

- is there anything else to do except to allow PA.exe and PAlauncher.exe through my firewall?
  2. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

...just noticed you tried the other servers, don't know what to say there
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Wait what?
  4. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Day and time are pretty big factors. I see the most games available on Sat afternoons/evenings in the US and Europe. Not sure what time that translates to for Australia though. Your best bet might be to just make a lobby and wait.
  5. idsan

idsan Member

Makes sense. Now that I think about it, evenings after work here translate to 2am/3am for USA and very early mornings for much of Europe. We are a lonely island. :(
    websterx01 and drz1 like this.
  6. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

If you want more lobbies, let all your friends and followers know how much you love PA. Preach the word of astroid dropping! Let them know when there are sales. Strategically purchase extra copies as gifts. Get this game out there!
  7. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

I had posted something else Geers, then went back & edited after my brain kicked in. If I could have deleted it, I would have
  8. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

As soon as china and japan get into this game, I'm sure you will start finding games in your time zone.

Wish I knew a simple easy immediate fix to get you some people to play with :/. adjusting your sleep schedule is too extreme
  9. ajsuk

ajsuk New Member

Sadly this is always the case for you Aussies. I've played many a game where you guys get left out of events and such scheduled for US and Europe instead, as has been said hopefully more your way will start to pick up the game soon. Guess this is the price you pay for Christmas on the beach. :p
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

changing servers doesn't do much, all of the games are still put together, you just want to be communicating with the closest one for best ingame-experience.
    And if you want your computer to be able to communicate with more computers around the world, tell your government that internet is actually invaluable in this day and age and that they need to start investing in some cables.
  11. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Try hosting and surfing Reddit while you wait lol. Or playing different hours - work out when US West will be on.
  12. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

"Hello, is this the Prime Minister of Australia?"
    "... Yes?"
    "This is idsan."
    "Okay?"
    "I'd like you to invest millions in fibre-optic cables so that I can play my online robot strategy game, please."
    "Alrighty. Check back next week."

That or:
    'I'm at Canberra, where idsan has been on hunger strike now for three months in an attempt to force the Government's hand on internet speeds.'

Or:
    'Scenes of turmoil in Sydney today as the country erupted into violence following the Parliament's refusal to increase internet speeds. Thousands stormed the Opera House to scream about their love for smashing robots with Asteroids. Martial law is in effect, and the death toll is expected to rise to the tens of thousands.'

That said, morons riot about Sport all the time.
    Politicians will do what's economically imperative and you can fit a good photograph of on a newspaper.
    Last edited: March 5, 2014
    Geers likes this.
  13. tatsujb

hehe, you laugh, but just you see, one day they'll go crazy, their government is really being a jackass about internet AND games. Listen to any Aussie games podcaster/critic they always drop a note about this.

ZeroPuctuation can be particularly cynical when talking about the issue.
    a lot of the time it seems like the only solution, if they want to remain a gamer is to move out, and I don't think that's normal by any stretch.
    cptconundrum and eroticburrito like this.
  14. idsan

idsan Member

I think it may be a case of closest-for-best-connection, yeah.

And don't worry; half the country has advised the current government of this to no avail. Currently the country is run by a pack of egotistic morons who pay no mind to more important things than fibre internet, much less actually think about fibre internet itself.
  15. tatsujb

hehe thaaaaaaaaaats what I was talking about.
    well look, if I were you I'd be down in the streets, but that's just me I guess, I'm really addicted to internet.
  16. idsan

idsan Member

You nearly made me laugh coffee all over my monitor, lol. Sadly, the most probable response from the PM himself would likely be: "Fibre... optic? What do glasses have to do with internet?"
    Geers and eroticburrito like this.
  17. idsan

idsan Member

I'll make up some shirts with "I wanna my innernets" on them. That'll be easier for them to understand.
  18. tatsujb

fair enough : / still think you should overthrow your government but eh.
    Geers likes this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No, make speedos with " I wanna my innernets".

It will go down.... swimmingly.
  20. idsan

idsan Member

You and the rest of the country / world / universe, bud.