will the Unit Cannon be added in Gamma?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by nuketf, March 5, 2014.

?

will it?

1. yes

11.1%
  2. yes

6.3%
  3. why is there a poll?

82.6%
  1. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

what he said ^
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Could be.;)
  3. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

o dang it i just suel the poll! um..how do i chang one of the yases to no? :p
  4. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

Judging by the fact that Gamma is going to focus more on multi-planet starts, it would stand to reason that it would include expanding our interplanetary options, including but not limited to the Unit Cannon.

Also, there is no "no" option in the poll. it's almost like the OP thinks that the Unit Cannon has no possibility of NOT being put in during gamma. but never assume an automatic Yes. that jinxes things.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  5. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

i ment to put a no in how do i fix that?
  6. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Once a poll created you cannot change it. Maybe a mod could.
  7. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

asked a mod
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

This question was answered in the all-day livestream. It's done when it's done. It's not high priority.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

10. Biestie

Biestie Member

I don't expect it to be in the gamma. At least not in the near future. Neutrino said a lot of times that it is not a high priority thing at the moment.

I have no problem with that. There are other things I'm far more excited about, for example asteriod belts.
  11. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

I doubt they are a high priority!
  12. Biestie

Biestie Member

Yeah, I don't expect to see them in a while. This was just an example of things I am more excited about then the unit cannon.
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I agree with KNight in this instance that the unit cannon will change how orbital invasions work completely. Thus, it needs to be added sooner than later. It is also something I consider to be mandatory for release.

I'd love to help if I could - I'm sure the Realm's modders would too. But we haven't made any progress on it anymore than Uber has, and they've done this before (sort of).

Thus, it needs to be in gamma. But there are easier things they can get out of the way, and they are doing those things. The Unit Cannon only affects orbital play, thus ground balance won't be effected - theoretically. Dropping vanguards into bases....meh.

Anyway. Hopefully the vanguard and sniper bot get removed. For balance sakes.

Patience, folks. We are almost to the end of the tunnel.
    iron420 and stuart98 like this.
  14. dusanak

dusanak Member

I agree that we don't need two flamethrower tanks Inferno and Vanguard but I think that the sniper bots should be kept ingame albeit a little bit balanced. They are far too strong at the moment. Frankly, the bots are overally better than vehicles so they should be rebalanced a bit.

Speaking about the unit cannon, if the Gamma is the final pre-release phase of PA development (and I assume so), it is pretty much a sure thing for it to be eventually added during Gamma.
  15. thetdawg3191

Bots are good at raiding, that much is true, but even the mightiest bot swarm will falter against a dedicated defense strategy because they lack several things that vehicles have to their advantage:

The Inferno & the Vanguard: the two units solely designed to break down walls and tough defenses through sheer brutality. they are slow, yes, but have seemingly ridiculous amounts of HP, and their attack allows them to shred anything that is dumb enough to stand still. their existece is meant to counter un-breachable defense lines where other forms of attack would falter. the Vanguard also has personal radar, making them able to become spotters for artillery when conventional radar methods are unavailable. And God help you if they reach your commander....

to be fair, they do have their weaknesses, their slow pace and melee-esque range being two of them. a bit of micro on the battlefield will win a fight with a Vanguard...eventually. which is why they are not meant for the open field.

The Artillery Tank (whatever its name is): These little beauties are often ignored in favor of more static options, but their mobility is in fact what makes them great. you don't need to build new emplacements to move the bombardment closer. and since a few updates ago, they're actually pretty good at hitting moving targets, such as bot swarms. this gives a tank blob a first strike advantage, as well as some extra AoE power.a tank column with some Artillery tanks in it will do some nasty damage to an enemy base, while remaining relatively safe at a distance (provided they're not going up against static batteries themselves).

Diversity: The Vehicle branch has an answer to (almost) every threat.

Air Threat -> Stinger
    Defensive Line -> Inferno/Vanguard AND/OR Artillery
    General Combat -> T1 and/or T2 tank
    Recon -> Skitter

Bot armies have limited options when assaulting enemy strongholds, those options being:

- Go around
    - Send More
    - Avoid
  16. mered4

Except that sniper bots are a copy of the Sheller (the artillery tank).

They have the same range. The Sniper bots have an instant hit thing going, which means shellers might not have the time to line up a shot and fire before the snipers start shooting.

Sheller shells can also be dodged. Sniper bots cant.
    Sniper bots also violate the basic rule of bots: Fast, shorter range, more DPS.
    They dont have shorter range. That's what keeps the DPS advantage down. If you have sniper bots,, you play bots differently. You can micro around armies and eat them at your leisure.
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

GIL-Es are countered by walls. I don't think it's a strong enough counter to go for shellers.
  18. thetdawg3191

i wasnt exactly trying to invalidate bots, and i do agree the Gil-E does need some form of nerf, AT LEAST for range. i mean, why would a sniper rifle out-range a howitzer? that dont make no sense.

...and while you are happily picking off tank blob A by microing your sniper bots, and actively trying to "dodge" (more micro) the artillery shells, tank blob B is coming in from the flank..... just sayin. having to micro in a game like this means being distracted from anything else that might need your attention.

i was merely implying that bots in general are not "superior" to tanks. speed and cost, yes, but that's about it.

also, Shellers are actually inteligent enough to ignore walls in favor of jucier targets. and, well, duh, they shoot over them. walls can defend against Gill-E's, but not Shellers.

Shellers excell in siege, Gil-E's excell in the field.
  19. mered4

GIL Es are NOT countered by walls.

They shoot over/through them.....Try it in game. I've had my entire defensive line shattered with the walls unscratched by a few GIL-Es
    Quitch and stuart98 like this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

They need an HP nerf to the point where a few T1 bombers can kill 30 of them in seconds.