Base Shields

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Hamasauras, March 4, 2014.

1. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

[​IMG]

WUT ?

i gone to the store while the AI tryed to beat me............lol........

i won .........
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Good luck trying that on real people.
  3. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

i remember doing that on RedAlert2 - i'd take pride in making an impenetrable base (to the AI, anyway), to where I'd leave it and come back hours later. heh.

staring at that pic, i keep trying to WASD around to check it out. :p
    vackillers likes this.
  4. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

thats why i realy rarely play with players its not fun just spaming units and spaming buildings everywhere arround a planet and making a big mess. feels stupid in my opinion so im staying with the AI. building multyple bases arround one BIG planet makes more sense for me.
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's because currently the AI is very very under developed. That won't work against the AI when the game is finished, nor would it work against any players.

Spamming units and spamming buildings? PA is supposed to be about large scale warfare.

You can't have large scale warfare with a small army.

It's not spamming. It's building a large army – which is the whole point about the game.

Some people claim that just spamming out units doesn't involve any strategy, well, they obviously haven't played against any of the better players. A player who makes strategic decisions can easily beat another player who has larger armies.
    tehtrekd likes this.
  6. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

i bet my Pants on it that no matter how hard the AI will be when the game is Out i Still gonna be able to beat it like this :p

yeah Large scale Warfare is possible with multiple bases ( but that is only would be possible on realy Big Experimental Planets Where mass Spots can be found in Stacks not like now arround Everywhere so you need to build Everywhere..... everything.......
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm sure we'll see shields someday, I've been keeping them in the back pocket.

One thing I would prefer though is more innovation in how they work. You guys will notice that buildings can rotate to any angle yet we don't really have any units that take advantage of that. For example a direction shield (I've always pictured the big giant electric wall in the original Dune move). But also things like directional gun emplacements with limited slew ability etc.
  8. brianpurkiss

Nah. The AI will just drop an astroid on your head.
  9. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

ya know what? I totally get where you're coming from. I've learned, though, that this game (and most of it's players) uses a different approach and play style.

Regardless, I say "get your money's worth" and play however you see fit! And you don't have to explain yourself or justify it to anyone! The whole idea of this, and any game, is to have fun... and honestly, building that base looks like fun.. you've inspired me - I just might go try something like it when I get home. See how long I can hold out against the AI, or even give a human player something unexpected to deal with. :cool:
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. brianpurkiss

This is relevant

[​IMG]
    coulter47, Nullimus, arsene and 3 others like this.
  11. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

i Wish planets would be like that but they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Flat that using inventoriment as a wall is almost impossible in a way that means something......

im starting to feel that they forgot abbout the Biomes now...........
  12. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Such a simple yet functional change.
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We have not forgotten we just have had other stuff to get working. We only have so many people to work on stuff...
  14. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

thats ALL i ever wanted to hear.

im happy again now its one of the features updates im waiting the most.

and seeing that the game gone to Gamma i tough the time for Drastic Big updates are Over and its all abbout UI and bug fixing and a few units here and there.
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

@bobucles is going to be so upset. AHAHAHA.
  16. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

This statement is applicable to so many things I had to sig it.

If only those moaning about their pet-peeve and/or favourite missing feature that'd "be so simple to implement" would realise it.
  17. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh yes. Neutrino likes Dune. This is a good sign.

Would the electric wall act like a bulldozer and move/damage units it comes into contact with?
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I am not sure how a directional shield is different to a wall.

Im not a fan of shields in any case, they promote bad gameplay.
    Murcanic likes this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Turtle-ist! Directional shield would probably be larger.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If anything, I turtle too much.

But turtling with shields like in SupCom was just soo boring, turely horrible.

Im glad we don't have map crossing artillery either, and would defiantly prefer a better nuke mechanic, because it's archaic.