Server Connection Lost / Server Crash

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, March 3, 2014.

1. Stalp

Stalp New Member

I just got a connection lost crash when I tried to move an advanced air unit (the Peregrine) from a landed state. It was clipped into the planet's surface, right after I selected it and gave it the move command, my game crashed.

Edit: I've been unable to recreate the bug.
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Had it happen to several games on the trot tonight - no rhyme nor reason to it and no common denominators. Sorry chaps.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

For some of these bugs, if we don't catch them in a debugger (which we can't do in the live environment), they are effectively impossible to find. The code base, and the sim it represents, is very complex. When I say test environment, I mean trying to repro off of information we've gotten. Once we know what the repro is, we can usually repro the bugs 100%, but again, unless we can do it in a debugger, it's of almost no use, other than evidence gathering.
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
  4. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

A bug that can be reproduced is a bug that can be fixed. Bugs that occur inside the game simulation behave pretty much the exact same way in the "real world" as on my office dev machine. I don't think we've had a single game sim bug in the project duration where that is not the case.

The bugs that are different between the real world and the dev world are the ones that involve interacting with UberNet. Game lobbies, server hosting, and that type of thing. We have a test environment but it's by strict definition not exactly the same. In fact sometimes we encounter a bug in our test world and freak out for a moment only to discover it works just fine in the real world.

The good news is that we were finally able to reproduce and fix the bug responsible for the vast majority of crashes over this past weekend.

Thanks for all help folks. We appreciate it.
    drz1, cola_colin and lokiCML like this.
  5. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

We appreciate all the hard work you guys put into.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

How exactly did you reproduce the bug... what was it? Just out of interest.... :)
  7. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

@liltbrockie Courtesy of Neutrino in another thread, regarding at least the main reason for connection errors:
    "Ok, so just finished a test game. Seems good to go.

There ARE still some serious lobby issues. Tomorrow that is going to be the focus.

The crash was caused by a NaN propogating due to some unsafe math in unit motion code."

P.S> I have no idea what this means, but presumably you code heads do :p
  8. lucratus

lucratus New Member

I bought my version via gamma on your special promo offer for 30$. I havent been able to load or enter a single game. its always either server connection lost or connection to server failed. ive had it since yesterday at 3/3/2014. ive tried the f5 refresh everytime it comes up and im unsure what to do. im also using us central default server if that helps ive tried the other two and still nothing. please advise

Attached Files:

9. lokiCML

Welcome to the forum

Can you please upload your dxdiag.txt?
  10. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

Well NaN stands for not a number so it looks like the simulation was trying to do a maths operation on a variable that was not actual a number so yer... its gonna crash lol

EDIT... I don't actually know what I'm talking about that was just an educated guess.
  11. lucratus

lucratus New Member

here you are

Attached Files:

12. lokiCML

I'm pretty sure was a bug and in a previous hot fixes resolved issue or another one will. Just have to be patient until then. It's still in development.
  13. lucratus

lucratus New Member

as in i wont be able to play until an update is out?
  14. lokiCML

Hot fix last night didn't fix it? There also currently working on bugs. So they can get another hot fix out.
  15. lucratus

lucratus New Member

if i bought the gamma on the 3rd would i need the hot fix or if i do do you have a link por favor?
  16. lokiCML

Uber launcher or steam would've downloaded it for you automatically. When you start up the client it will tell you if there's an update and then it will update.;)
  17. lucratus

lucratus New Member

Thanks for the info man seriously. i have version 62285 or somthing other and i still to this time exactly havent been able to join a single game. its just fustrating. i cant even create my own to play own cause itsays connection to sever lost. :( i wonder if its something on my end network wise because i can see all the games available for joining in the lobby room. its just once initiated nada.
  18. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

I seemed to be getting the same issue when trying to join a game. I always either got "Connection to Server Lost", or "Failed to Join Game". I noticed that it was usually when attempting to join a game that was specified as running in the USCentral region. I could almost always get into EUWest and Australia region games. I had USCentral set as my region in the settings. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but as soon as I changed that setting to something else (either EUWest, or Australia), I seemed to have much more success with joining USCentral games. I saw a response from Garat to another user in another thread about deleting their settings file to set things back to the default and start fresh. Haven't tried that yet, but it may help as well. Here are the instructions, for anyone who hasn't seen them.
    • Delete your settings file in case you have a compatibility issue in the latest version? (Located in SystemDrive:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\localstore\Local Storage - Delete or rename the files to return all game settings to default without the need to re-install)
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I've been getting a number of these in AI games today. Afraid I can't offer much insight into what was happening at the time.
  20. Nivar

Nivar New Member

I have the same issue pop up now and then with the Connection to server lost of failed. For me it happens after I have started a game vs an AI. The game starts to lag more and more until it stops then I get the Connection lost message. After that I can not make a new game or see the lobby to join a game. I have noticed this only seems to happen when there are a bunch of games running in the lobby. Late at night 2am or latter PST the game runs fine.