The music

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by aulex, March 2, 2014.

1. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The transitions between tracks is really unnatural, just as it was in TA and supcom. Dynamic music is difficult but this is probably not the way to do it.

I don't know what "starting" music you guys are talking about, I feel the omission of a good base building track is one of the most glaring flaws in the whole thing. Good RTS's have good, cozy base building music.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I don't think there is an audio API that would allow you to do that at the moment hopefully eventually. Personally I would like to see a more robust audio API in the future for modding.
  3. lokiCML

All the planet types have their own music which plays when you start on one of them. So if you start on a lava planet It has a different music compared to a metal planet. Also there are two base building music within the files that are really good.
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Well they sure aren't noticeable in the game.
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I'm talking about the music after the commander drop, in the files there's different music for Planet_Load_Earth, Planet_Load_Lava, Planet_Load_Ice, Planet_Load_water, Planet_Load_Tropical, Planet_Load_Gas, etc.

And I have to disagree with you when you say that PA lacks a 'base building track', if by that you mean a musical theme. PA definitely has a few strong themes, the most obvious one being that from the kickstarter video.

I definitely agree that dynamic music would great, but I don't know if it's feasible. I'm no sound engineer. Portal 2 did it well, but all of the music in that game is synthesized as far as I know, and even then dynamic music wasn't taken advantage of very often.
    As an example, we could have different instrumentation for battle music on different planets, and have them blend seamlessly when battles are taking place on multiple planets. Is that something I'd expect? No, but I'd like it if we could mod something like that into the game.

I have a feeling you don't notice them because of their thematic similarities and the timeframe between hearing the variations. Download FMod Designer and take a look at the different music files, you'll probably notice some consistent themes.
  6. lokiCML

Well in the files doesn't mean currently being used. They're probably just not implemented yet but soon.
  7. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

If you mean base_01a and 01b those are awful and generic. A game such as vanilla supcom itself had the excellent "one planet at a time" which really drove feel of the first five minutes of the game every time. And another notable example would be the excellent USA 01 aka "Fighting for Freedom" from c&c generals, again providing a great feel and pace for building up your forces at the beginning of the game. Dull, ambient music does not really fill such a role.
  8. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I'm not sure which ones those are; here are the names of the current music files o_O
    I'm assuming they're some of the tracks that have ZZZZ at the end though.

Attached Files:

9. aulex

aulex New Member

What is that number 5 or 6 a casters done that
  10. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Hmm that list you have there, makes me wonder if its going to be possible in the future to mod in our own jukebox or music list if we want.
  11. Arklon

Arklon New Member

All the PA_B## songs are base-building songs, they're in the misc music FSB I believe. Along with the Base_01a/b songs that makes 10 base-building songs.
    Last edited: March 13, 2014