Unit What-ifs: Alternate takes on existing units.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by vehrec, March 3, 2014.

1. vehrec

vehrec New Member

So I was thinking-what if some of the units in the game were...different? Changed in some way, for better or for worse? Like what if, instead of a set of iron-bombs, suitable for attacking naval and ground units, the Hornet had a single cruise missile, so it could attack from outside the range of AA defense? Oh sure, it might fly over and be destroyed anyways before it can fire a second shot, but that's a risk you take already.

Or what if the Anti-nuke launcher could fire on any orbital units dumb enough to enter it's range? Manual fire only against non-nukes of course, but almost anything that works against an ICBM should be pretty good at targeting satellites with a few trivial modifications, right? You've all probably thought of something similar at one time or another, some basic modification that would be fun to try-at least for a day.

Try to keep it reasonable-a small splash-damage grenade launcher weapon with shorter range for Slammers makes more sense than giving them full-sized artillery cannon to use in direct-fire mode. And suggesting things like machine guns in fighters so they can strafe ground units is also out-changing the role of a unit in a major way like that doesn't really seem fitting.
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

What if the Leviathan had legs?
    iron420 likes this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

What if...
    What if the doxen fired nukes?

Haha, but in all seriousness, I always wondered how much would change if catapults had splash damage.
  4. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

I can see the apocalypse arealdy
  5. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

+1 and its looking good
  6. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Hmnn too bad no war against machines and a sweet hero named sarah connor
    Imagine what if sarah teleported from the past to annihilate the PA robots in a crazy inverse dimension
    [​IMG]
    meir22344 and tehtrekd like this.
  7. vehrec

vehrec New Member

If the Leviathan had legs, we'd have to call it a Krogoth. A more interesting question might be 'What if Bots were slower than vehicles?' What else would we have to change-would we have to give the bots more HP to compensate, or some other ability to make up for the loss of raiding?

Catapults with splash damage would probably necessitate lowering the rate of fire or decreasing their accuracy slightly to make up for it.
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

What if firetanks shot rainbows?
    websterx01 likes this.
  9. vehrec

vehrec New Member

We'd have to create an entire My Little Pony set of units then man, and now you're just being silly.
  10. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I hope there will be a mod for that!

Here is my what-if:
    What if those massive gigantic battleships weren't mass produced in a factory, but instead, built like a building by an advanced sea fabber. What if it also costed a large pile of metal and that it would be a massive sea-fortress wrecking any of the lesser battleships with dozens of cannons aiming independent of each-other and a tiny little AA cannon on top of it, as well as tactical missile protection. o_O

But, really... I do think that we can produce too many ships, and they kinda look horrible in huge blobs, we certainly need to reduce their numbers a bit, but also make them stronger. :(
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

What if everything looked like a Tron world? And the fog of war was actually darkness, so everything had to glow or have headlights to be seen or to see?
  12. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Seems familiar...
    [​IMG]