Metal Planets - Should Metal Extractors Be Buildable Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Helpsey, September 30, 2013.

?

Should Metal Extractors Be Buildable Anywhere

1. Yes

51.5%
  2. No

48.5%
  1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so basiclicy battle of middleearthstyle? .... meeeehhhhh .... people should expand to other planets for mexxes ...
    also this messes too much with basebuilding imo

metalmakers and goldplanets discourage expanding ... the former is also hard to balance ... goldplanets are only good for fun gameplay as they invalidate the other planets in eco ... in that case better have only one of them ... if there shall be a reason to rush and fight over metal planets then because of its reactivateble planetsbust weapons ... in this case you could have more then one to balance things a bit out ... i think it may still become a race of who can bust the other first ...
    Last edited: March 2, 2014
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Let's just wait untill the metal planet actually has a weapon and then see if it needs more buffing?
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But when you consider building Extractors at the best efficiency......how is that really any different from just having a set number of Metal Spots that balanced for the planet?

It's just too complex in teh end for little to no gain, in fact one could argue its actually harmful because it acts like a "noob trap" because they might not know or fully understand the implications of building Extractors on Metal Planets and wind up confused or frustrated that the game isn't working like they expect it too.

Mike
    sypheara likes this.
  4. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

If metal planets are dormant space stations/weapons that you can activate, then why would you be harvesting them? I prefer the idea of changing the appearance of metal spots to look like pre-made deposits and leaving it at that.

The idea of large deposits of metal that you can build lots of extractors on is interesting, but I think it would be better suited to have that as a feature on certain planets with rich resources, where there might be a metal biome or something to that effect. Though I still think that sort of thing should be optional.
    sypheara likes this.
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

How exactly are metal planets not a "metal biome"?

Which was my whole point to begin with, it's a metal biome, if it doesn't act like one it needs to go.
  6. MrTBSC

because it may not have a specific function? .... dont be rediciolous
  7. moonsilver

moonsilver Member

change its name to a Tech planet? technological artificial construction.

Would be interesting to build a giant orbital reclaimer satellite the size of a moon which reclaims entire metal planets and goes mwahahahahahhaa.
    vyolin likes this.
  8. KNight

Because you're getting caught up on the word "Metal". Just because it shares a common word with something from TA doesn't mean it needs to act in exactly the same way.

Mike
    kayonsmit101 and MrTBSC like this.
  9. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Metal is the resource, if there is metal and you cannot extract it then that doesn't make sense. It's not semantics, it's the actual mechanics of the game. You cannot implicitly distinguish between "cosmetic" metal that arbitrarily cannot be reclaimed or extracted and resource metal.ยจ

Which is absolutely nothing other than you don't like having a lot of resources in one place. It's not invalid gameplay, it's not "broken", you just don't like it. Please admit this.
    iron420 likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

it will ultimatly mess with gameplay.. it is not about personal preference as much as you think otherwise
    goldplanets (i call them delibaratly that) are as worse if not even worse as metalmakers as they are hard to belance it would just be a matter of who gets to it first and spam mexxes like crazy this is not strategic or positional play and it invalidates other planets except for may be asteroids ... but even then ....
    as i said before i consider this purely funstuff ... but it has no place in ladder as long as it isnt propperly edited systemwise ....
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Err, yes you can, as the metal that can be reclaimed is located in deposits on the ground.

And besides, why should metal biomes be so special in comparison to ice, lava, mountain, desert, forest, grass land, jungle, ocean floor and moon biomes?
  12. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

For the 500th time: yes, if there is a concentration of resources on the map you will generally want to capture them. This is no different from any other kind of map with a resource concentration.

No, you will not automatically win because you got to it first, there's a number of factors contributing to that. For example metal planet + other planet > metal planet alone. KEW's, nukes etc. also are able to invalidate economic leads. Metal planets are not free infinite metal, there is a build up time just as with any resource patch, during which you are vulnerable. The same principles of harassment and denial apply to this kind of expansion just as well as it applies to regular planets.

Currently you can get virtually unlimited resources from a regular planet if you own it completely, this is not much different from what would happen if you were left un-opposed on a metal planet as well. This has not "broken" the game or "messed with" it in its current state either.

All players who land on a metal planet will enjoy its benefits in equal measure, and therefore the fight will be balanced.
  13. KNight

You can't just ignore the fact that "infinite" resources is vastly different from a simple "concentration". You can't ignore that just because the resources are a certain way NOW doesn't mean they will remain so. You can't ignore that building extractors anywhere is far easier to snowball than on a regular planet. You can't ignore that players will not always arrive on Metal planets at the same time resulting in one player having an advantage.

If you want to have any ground to stand on, you need to back up your points and actually deal with the issues everyone keeps pointing out in your reasoning.

Mike
    MrTBSC likes this.
  14. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I already dealt with them many times but you are unwilling to accept that.

It is not "infinite" anymore than regular metal points are infinite, they will give you an unlimited amount over time, but you will always get a finite amount per second. You are simply able to ramp it up more rapidly than regularly, putting a greater strain on your ability to expand your economy. Nothing is different from regular resources except the distribution is more dense.

I've already explained, in the very post you quoted, how harassment, offworld backup and game ending weapons are able to offset the advantage of resources. And it is simply illogical to state that whoever gets there "first" will automatically win. Even if one party arrives late by some significant degree they will still be able to put up a fight where the outcome is not known. Hence, metal planets are not instant win just because you touch down first, you will still need to fight for your advantage.

If you are able to win that fight though, then you will generally be in a position where you can win the game more easily. Again, no different from any other concentration of resources that you are able to take and hold.
  15. MrTBSC

whoever controls that goldplanet would have a massiv realy REALY MASSIV economical advantage ... the only limit would be buildspace but he would be able to spam more and faster than any other player and worst he would be spamming nukes like crazy he would be able spam austreus and fabbers like crazy ..... he would spam so much that losing a couple mexxes means nothing and the only answer would be kew's against it but even that might be nigh on impossible as he may have spammed units to any asteroid there is .... that is horrible for a laddergame ... you are underestimitaing to what stale gameplay this leads
    Last edited: March 2, 2014
  16. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand, being able to place extractors anywhere is not the same as building a paragon in supcomfa or using the 'nothing but time' mod. You will still need to build a lot of them which is expensive, and you will need to build even more power generators and fabbers to keep up, which will slow down your expansion by a lot.

To put it in perspective, even using the 'nothing but time' mod, building up to the point where you can rapidly spam experimentals still takes at least 10-15 minutes or something like that. Even with no other limits, time is a significant limit. But a metal planet still has many other limits, it just relaxes the restraint on the metal limit a bit.

I'm not sure why the ladder games matter, it isn't a game only for competition. If it is found to be too imbalanced for some people then they can avoid including them in ladder systems. But as I have also explained many times, these planets are more balanced and more skill dependant than other types of environments in the game.
    vyolin likes this.
  17. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Money maps are fun for mods, but in the actual game, hell no.
    Give somenone 5 minutes undisturbed on a planet like this and there is no catching up. Especially since metal planets apparently are confimed to become death stars at some point in the future this is absolutely ridiculus.
    This is fine for single planet matches or maybe multiplanet matches that start on the metal planet, but other scenarios simply wouldnt work well and certainly not well enough to put this into the actuall game.
  18. MrTBSC

no one is speaking about a paragon at all
    it doesnt matter how long it takes the moment one gets a foothold on that goldplanet it is almost impossible to counter it ... as the productionrate just can go up from then on
    having a limited number of mexxes early on allows for more positional play and battle over every mex there is
    the less metalspots there are the more important they get as they are what dictates productionrate primarily
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I've already given another example of how it could be used; a one vs many setup with one person on a metal planet and everyone else teaming up against him. This sort of play can also be very fun. The possibilities are many, and probably only limited by the imaginations of the system makers.

Which I just proved to be wrong for a number of reasons.
  20. MrTBSC

a handicap game has no place in ladder
    it would be just another for fun game ...
    again i didnt say that it shouldnt be implented at all
    but i dont see it having a place in competitive or laddergameplay as it would lead to rather unintresting rush to games