Secondary color

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by meir22344, March 1, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

If this is being removed as an option because you're painting more of each unit with the primary colour then fine, but if the unit colouring isn't being changed then I don't see the point, it's nice to have the option for poncing up screenshots and the like.

Also, with only one colour how are large FFAs going to be handled?
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Primary colour was always extremely noticeable? Secondary colour art models made them look.... nicer. Model colours look kind of strange across the board now.

I've always been partial to Gold and Red, but Gold and Blue is a nice alternative too.
    vrishnak92 and cmdrflop like this.
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Painting more of each unit with primary colour looks crap though. How many navy ships do you see that are any colour other than battleship grey? Makes them look like cheap plastic green army men, not lego?
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

awwwww commonnnn

if we use the team fab shader by rcix we do see it ALOT. (look at that red factory finishing up in my signature)

bring it back!

(....just as I thought we could hope for a full 256 colour palettte for both colors!)
    cmdrflop likes this.
  5. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I'm sad that is it removed. I had always thought that the secondary color was going to play a more important role in the future, like when you are playing team armies the units made by one player would have one secondary dolor outline while the units made by the other player would have another secondary color outline. That way oyu could use the units together or seperate then easily depending on the situation. This would be most useful with commanders though.
    cmdrflop and Quitch like this.
  6. moldez

moldez Active Member

I already miss the secondary colour .. maybe it was not really noticable on the units .. but :

1. giving the player the opportunity to choose it themselfs was a neak feature

2. in my opinion the secondary colour would have been a really nice addition to the strategic icons !!! .. instead of this white outline it just could have been the secondary colour for example .. would have loved to play around with that .. but the shaders are a gordian knot to me ...

so .. BRING IT BACK please
    vrishnak92, cmdrflop and zweistein000 like this.
  7. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

make 1 single color

or bring back the secondary color option

right now units and everything looks soooo bad with all the random 2nd colors that i barely enjoy playing it its that bad for me.........
  8. killerquake

killerquake New Member

the main color is for the information of a units owner... but the second is for beauty :D
    I can see the second color then I'm playing and it was nice to be able to change the second color
  9. cmdrflop

cmdrflop Active Member

What is the point with secondary colors?! Why have colors?! Why even have any visuals at all!

Someone on the forums said something like this once if i recall correctly :D

Also, the vast majority doesn't notice them? Really? You're just saying that the casual player won't notice them since they don't play often. Which i think is a bad argument. You know what has kept me playing certain games, cool little details. Cool stuff that you probably won't notice right away, but becomes really neat when you play the game a lot. It's what keeps games fresh. A lot of games have gone down and become worse because they wanted to please the majority and therefore chose to drop the cool little stuff/details.
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
    Zoliru, ghoner666 and bradaz85 like this.
  10. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

I have never complained about any thing in PA, until now...........Bring back the secondary colors please.....I need my brown and blue back.
    Zoliru likes this.
  11. Alphasite

Alphasite Active Member

Secondary colours always been more of a subconscious cue than a very obvious cue, but you do notice the difference between blue and white, and blue and red (for example). And it allows for more teams per game, theres a limited number of teams with single colours and i have enough difficulty differentiating between the pinks and reds and the navy and cyan colours as is.
    Zoliru and bradaz85 like this.
  12. ghoner666

ghoner666 Member

I'd like to see the secondary color back too, It was just a nice customization touch. In some Rts or 4x games you can pick up to your own custom tag/flag, so I think 2 custom colors is already a bit nicer and personal than the traditional Red vs Blue.

I'm always scared of a game getting dumbed down/simplified during development, never though it would start with the number of colors :p
    cmdrflop and bradaz85 like this.
  13. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

The only issue with that is that I could say the same thing about fabber construction stripes, yet those haven't been removed. Clearly that is because they are noticable, just like the secondary colors. Please bring them back, I get the feeling that everyone wants them back, with even more customization as well...
    Zoliru, cmdrflop and bradaz85 like this.
  14. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Dual-color strategic icons. THAT will make them more noticeable.

I still recommend you implement this, I don't want to spend several seconds figuring out what player is light green, dark green, lime green, normal green, ... in a 40 player match. So instead of 40 different colors that can be hard to differentiate, have color combinations with these secondary colors.
    ghoner666, cmdrflop and emraldis like this.
  15. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Why not make a vote on this to show how many players actually would like to see this come back? Then scathis would have to eat his words
    Zoliru likes this.
  16. Cultasare

Cultasare New Member

At least remove the secondary color completely, have solid primary color or black secondary... The random secondary is what gets me.
    Zoliru likes this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

bravo!
  18. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Doh, the secondary colours were removed in purpose? I just assumed it was a bug.
    I want them back too!
  19. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

I am curious, where did the devs get the idea that the majority of players don't notice? Because it sure as hell looks like everyone noticed...
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Agreed