Metal Planet Death Stars Confirmed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, February 28, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Uber has said that metal planets will have "ancient technology" on metal planets. They've heavily hinted at it being a "Death Star" – but as far as I'm aware, they haven't full on said "it will be a death star."

Well. In today's livestream, they said it.

Mavor said he wants the metal planets to turn into a Death Star.

For good or bad, looks like it'll be added eventually.
  2. comham

comham Active Member

This is honestly the feature I'm most excited for. I hope the sounds/visuals are satisfying.
    Antiglow likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Personally... I'm not excited about it.

I don't like single game ending units/buildings. :-/
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Planet pew-pew is always satisfying. This is gonna be fun!
  5. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

"Luke... I am your father."
    Antiglow and cdrkf like this.
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Also, @brianpurkiss how do you know they will be game ending? And if so, what if they are just sort of like KEWs, destroying one planet of your choice? Is that so bad?
    Antiglow likes this.
  7. uberpenu

uberpenu Member

8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

A bit early to be lamented about a units abilities when we know nothing about how it works no? In terms of game effect it's not that different from KEWs really.

If you go through the Dev comments it seems like they certainly don't want it to be easy to reactivate metal planets.

Mike
    iron420, bradaz85 and boylobster like this.
  9. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I believe a lot of people will make a 2 planet system; one planet being an earth-type, called 'Alderaan', while the other being a metal planet, called 'Death Star'. Though, it might be, a lot of people already do this.
  10. uberpenu

uberpenu Member

hmmm, i kinda agree with you, but I'm still super exited about this :)). Maybe we could set up a system so that if they do activate the metal planet you're not dead. We will have so many types of game options once multi planet spawns come in!!
  11. brianpurkiss

Destroying one entire planet over and over is pretty game ending.

Before you start talking about Halleys, they won't be game ending. In the future, an astroid won't destroy an entire planet automatically. A small astroid won't destroy all of a large planet. Uber wants planet smashing to be a common place – which is not game ending. Planet smashing is also one use.

A giant laser that cause an entire planet to go boom... and then can be re-used on another planet? Pretty game ending.

Just because it isn't easy, doesn't mean it's not game ending.

Single game ending units/buildings means no strategy is required. It's "first to build X wins" – and I don't like games like that.
  12. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I agree, I think it should be one shot. Also I wouldn't mind it being powerful if it was hard to activate. And I also wouldn't mind it leaving the planet habitable post nuking.
  13. cyprusblue

cyprusblue New Member

I'd prefer the Warworld anyway.

Heck, for double the fun have it drain escalating amounts of energy while controlled until you can't maintain a charge and it overloads and eliminates all units on it's surface in a massive energy pulse. That would make for some interesting game play.
    corteks and wheeledgoat like this.
  14. chazz00999

chazz00999 Member

There needs to be game enders no matter how you look at it.
    Nukes, and Halleys are prime examples.
  15. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

@brianpurkiss Have they specifically said it would kill an entire planet? Or be used more than once? Sounds like you are doing a lot of assuming.
    sporemaster18 and wheeledgoat like this.
  16. brianpurkiss

Everyone says "just make it really expensive." And that doesn't stop it. It's very easy to pour all of your economy into one thing – especially with how large PA is.

For super powerful things, cost is barely a balance thing. It's way to easy to stop all of your building, pour it all into the one thing, and boom. Game over.

Nukes and Halleys are not game enders. They're supposed to be common place. Recovering from nukes (when you play right), is very easy. Once planet smashing mechanics are finished, they won't destroy entire planets.
  17. chazz00999

chazz00999 Member

Don't think it should be one shot. Game enders are required in MP. Just bare in mind that this game is a race if you start in a multi-planet system, I always ditch the main planet, and head straight for the moons and other planets to secure them first, which ultimately means I win in the end.
    The more planets you control, the more resources at your disposal, as well as your commander(s) being safer separated (team games). Especially with planet smashing, it is always a good game ender. I've made some inter
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

19. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

would be cool, but them you need to build some things(like, A lot of T-2 Power, a core and other things) to activate it...
    someonewhoisnobody likes this.
  20. chazz00999

chazz00999 Member

A well placed nuke (or 20) / planet can take out the commander which equals a win at the moment. Hence why I said that they are game enders. I've used masses of nukes before to end games where the defences of the opposing force are too numerous to overwhelm with units.
    tabrisangelus likes this.