Gamma Livestream Question Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, February 26, 2014.

1. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I know naval isn't the highest priority in a game about smashing planets, but really? Even nuke subs?

I just don't see how you can have a serious naval component of the game, even remotely as indicated in the Kickstarter, without subs. It'll always feel like a tack-on that was promised ... so, technically, here are the boats. I'm not sure that's first class naval support.

That said, I'm not trying to be overly down on you guys. I appreciate the comments from Jon and Brad. I'm honestly amazed that you guys have done as much as you have. The people at Uber have been my game-world heroes since 1997, so at the end of the day I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt.

(just make sure we can mod the naval as needed please)
  2. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Scale is a two way street though. Looking at just the super weapons is only looking at the extreme end game, and missing how we got to it. The hours of battling to get to that extreme game ender is the whole point! Which, in part, I was actually hoping to really be some Underwater Annihilation...
  3. alwaysarmoured

alwaysarmoured New Member

Where the humanoid biped non-backer commanders at?
    Any chance of the commander getting some form of utility, TA commander was always twice as fast as the fastest builder so it was a fairly important resource but the pa commander is just a huge liability once you have advanced fabbers.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Subs add a dynamic to the naval wars that they dont have right now. Naval units are a one way street as it is - whoever has the most wins - but that's not a lot of depth. We need more depth.
    Quitch likes this.
  5. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

To paraphrase: "Subs add depth"...

...see what I did there? ;)
  6. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Is there any plans to add ability to have more then two team colour?

On a side note I think the sub issues if you can call it that need its own thread.
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Naval trinity. More strategy in Naval.

Let's face it. Naval is just floating vehicles. It doesn't feel like Naval.

Also - Sinking wreckage? WTF is with that shi. The AI never sinks my battleships, because my battleships are all unsinkable. An underwater layer makes subs available by default.

I mean, by the time sinking ships are blocking the ocean because they've formed their own island, you should be able to mine that for days with fabbers.
  8. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

True, true. But there's a point that I feel a lot of people were missing in the mild panic that seems to surround the idea giant planet-based weapons, be they moons or metal planets or whatever. The term "Game Ender" gets tossed around a lot, and I'd just like to point out that what we've seen of those "late-game" elements may not be late-game at all. Right now, planet smashing is something of an end-game move, but we have to remember that what we have of planet smashing is essentially a first-pass implementation. I think the goal is to have that kind of play be much more commonplace, with smaller and more numerous objects, right? In bigger systems, with more rock to bang into one another? The state of development doesn't support that YET, but I believe that's the idea, and a corollary to that idea is that those tactics and technologies are not game-ending by definition, but simply a different kind of weapon. I'm just saying that it's possible that what we've seen of interplanetary weaponry thus far may be leading everyone to false assumptions about what the eventual dynamic of those weapons will be. KnowwhatImean?
  9. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

All right!

I watched for five hours, and it was a great Live Stream. You're a team of very nice guys, Uber folks. Cool people, cool people.

Thanks for addressing most of my questions. Really appreciated.
    Quitch likes this.