MODS ! the general howto and who's who thread about mods (69564 update)

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by tatsujb, February 28, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Last edited: July 27, 2014
  2. kimmynl

kimmynl New Member

Head's up that for me, the 'No Blackscreens' mod causes trouble with the game's startup login. Someone else reported the same.
    Edit: Mod update fixes it.
    Last edited: February 28, 2014
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You need to update the mod.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I like the list.

Though, the SupCom icons mod probably shouldn't be included. That's a personal preference thing, not a great mod that everyone should use, like PA Stats. It's a cool mod, but not everyone has played SupCom, and even people who have played SupCom may not want the SupCom icons.
  5. tatsujb

ahh yes that's probably true though changing your icons once is doors open for realizing it's a changable thing in PA and trying the other mods for it.
    And I guess I am being a little biased there. will you please forgive that?
    [​IMG]

About Blackscreen : it is an absolute must for GAMMA, if you were a former blackscreen user please update it. Rookie mod users will find it fantastic as it will up their general user experience by a huge margin.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You are biased. Nothing wrong with being biased. But when your bias comes out like that... makes me doubt your list.

It's a good mod – only for certain specific people. Not for a "everyone should use these" or even a "mods for beginners" list since it's such a niche mod.
  7. tatsujb

wow now you're getting into terrain I don't agree with. In no way is it "niche". not if there are 4 different mods for supcom icons and that mine totals 65 dl on PAMM (much more evidently directly through the uber forum) and that while I was away from modding for a long time someone took my mod and made a partially working version of it for those who still wanted it, and apparently there was substantial demand.

that said, now that you commented like this users reading through the thread might advise against that *last* mod and then again, those who would've found it "niche" wouldn't have gone through the steps of clicking on installing that mod when it clearly states what it does now would they?

I think people are capable enough of using their brain, brian.

wow I like how that last sentence ended in an anagram!
    Last edited: March 3, 2014
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think it is clear enough that tatsujb is offering his own personal opinion of good mods. I don't use all of them and there are others that I consider important and don't see here,but it's a good list. Other people are free to offer their own ideas too. This thread was desparately needed now that we have so many mods to choose from. The timing is just a little unfrtunate given how many mods are broken right now, but there's nothing we can do about that right now.
  9. tatsujb

Most importantly it's just about every single mod CURRENTLY working.

so you'd be ill-advised to install PA-stats for the moment for example.
    FSN1977, bradaz85 and cptconundrum like this.
  10. cptconundrum

Some of those still need work. My system sharing mod is on that list and it does work, but everything looks wrong in gamma.
  11. cola_colin

Actually I think installing PA Stats won't break anything. I've not confirmed 100% but it is not creating any issues for the players.
    It will just start working again once I fixed it.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  12. tatsujb

yea, I did successfully play with it. so I guess installing it as a "thinking ahead" move is clever. Again this is for rookies.
  13. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Hmm...

Here's my list.

Economic efficiency - essential for people learning PA.
    Hotbuild2
    In Game Timer
    Commander Health.
    Chronoclick

Obviously include all their dependencies.

That's it. Everything else isn't really stock material. Autofactory - yes/no. Yes in that it encourages spam and good eco management. No in that they should be learning to do those anyway, the mod is a tool once they've learned them.

Batchsize is not needed anymore with infinite build.
  14. tatsujb

for batchsize : depends. I uninstalled it as soon as infinite build came out, I then found that in the heat of the moment I often didn't remember to hit infinite but I still used shift.

And If you're using Auto factory, then It's a definitive must (to get the upper hand on a single factorie's production queue)
    as for hotbuild2 : again Rookie thread. especially considering the toils people have with this mod: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-hotbuild2-v1-9-9-9-4-62037.54561/page-18#post-881282
  15. cola_colin

Hotbuild2 is doing A LOT of stuff to make it easy to configure for anyone, it's super far away from the "edit this js yourself" hotbuild1 did.
    The keybindings are easier to do in hotbuild2 then in the default UI.
  16. stormingkiwi

Yeah that's a bug in Hotbuild2. It's a pain. Easy work around however, if you realise it's happening. @proeleert .

This is true. I have toggle infinite build bound to ` (left of 1 key) and I'm hoping there's an option to make it default later.
  17. tatsujb

I agree that hotbuild2 is one of the best mods if not the best (god this is delicate). I mean look at me, always shouting FaF's praise, saying all it's modder's are currently boosting PA's experience, citing Hotbuild alongside Sorian...

I thought I was being objective when I took it out of the "Rookie list" should I put it back in?
  18. stormingkiwi

Absolutely. Uber's lack of case insensitivity is particularly annoying, and like Cola says, it is more configurable than the default.
  19. cptconundrum

I think it's a little complicated for someone just getting started with the game. You had to make some hard choices with your list, but in all I think it's pretty good. Christmas trees might not be essential though. :D
  20. tatsujb

thought it might bring a smile ^^ it's non-essential and shouldn't be "made stock" obviously but it's unintrusive to gameplay in the utmost and a mod -> perfect for mod baby steps.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.