Gamma Livestream Question Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, February 26, 2014.

1. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

I've seen a couple of people mention hearing static in the new music.

There is not any static in the music source files, nor in game for us. If you're hearing static that is most likely a bug we'll need to fix or out of date audio drivers on your end.
    drz1 likes this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Using FSB Extractor, I have static in several files.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-music-is-so-awesome.56950/#post-882278
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I had static when extracting the pre-gamma files, but they played OK in-game
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Yeah, extracted files are not guaranteed to be static free when using an extractor utility. In fact the exact opposite may be guaranteed as I believe a built in feature of FMOD to add static to files only it knows how to filter out perfectly to prevent unauthorized utilities like that from extracting perfect audio files.
    Raevn likes this.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

If you are hearing static it's a bug or your system.
  6. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

One other thought... is there any plans for making a way to indicate which gateways are connected to each other? When you have multiple gateways in your base, it becomes a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book... what mystery planet will you end up on?
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Will we have drop pods? Or at the very least some new form of invasions aside from what we have and the Unit Cannon?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Two different computers played in game(specifically the main menu start up music, maybe a bug) and extracted. It's only a few pieces of the music.

But I'll see what other people say and look into it further before getting back to you guys.
  9. kimmynl

kimmynl New Member

Question: Are you guys gonna make good on the promised Xmas-commander soon?

http://www.uberent.com/pa/2013/12/1...anetary-annihilation-part-steam-holiday-sale/

10. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

Heh, tactfully avoiding the most liked serious question!
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Bacon commanders confirmed!
    LavaSnake likes this.
  12. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

It all depends on the meat shader through!
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

If you meant my question, I think it is a little disappointing that Uber would rather take several questions regarding bacon than explain why they seem to be backing off of their first Kickstarter stretch goal.

If they don't want to discuss it in the livestream during their big marketing push, I get that, but maybe there needs to be some kind of AMA in the backer's forum. I realize that people just buying PA today on Steam don't care much about the Kickstarter pitch, but I do suspect that the OG backers want to know what's up with a major change in direction here.
  14. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

Sorry buddy, but I was referring to mine, which asked something that has been coming up in the forums for months. It also received more likes than any other serious question but was not answered.
  15. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Damn! I lost the battle of the likes. Anyway - the answer is A.) Bacon or B.) Brad Nicholson.

But still, there needs to be a way to answer the more in-depth questions that the forum has.
  16. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Alright. So, I'll disregard the weird snark about bacon. Naval isn't an afterthought. It presents unique challenges, which is why it was a stretch goal. Recently, we did a total rebalance and found it a spot in the late, early, and mid game. Most recently, we enabled the AI to use naval. There's not a day here that someone forgets about naval.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  17. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

OK - I'll take your word for it and wait and see on naval then. I just don't see how can you have naval without people asking, quite legitimately, "where are the subs?" I know balancing an RTS is hard and nobody ends up entirely happy no matter what. Saying "screw the subs" sounds to me like "screw naval - just make 'em floating tanks and let's get on with it." So, I'm asking in hopes of verifying that I'm wrong. And I mean no offense to the Breakfast of Champions. And then again, maybe this really is mod territory. I guess I'll wait.
  18. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I just disagree that in a game of this scope that subs are that important. I would put them in the "nice to have" category but they aren't nearly as core to this game as a lot of other stuff. There are many planets that don't even have water on them.

Now that's not to say they will never be back but there are so many other things I consider more important for the game.
    Quitch likes this.
  19. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I think we need another thread to discuss naval.

Honestly I just want to see it be "fun" and not feel like an add-on to the entire game. I know orbital and other layers are critical, but a solid layer of naval is as crucial as a solid layer of land units.
  20. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

Like, say, engaging and intuitive orbital play? ****, this whole time I thought I'd been backing Underwater Annihilation! :p

Subs are cool and all (I guess - compared to what? A planet-sized superweapon of ancient and mysterious origin?), but it's reassuring to see the devs remain conscious of the game's titular focus.