[REL] "Advanced" Planet Details [71379]

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Dementiurge, November 28, 2013.

1. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Preview in action:
    PA_advancedplanetdetails2-1.png
    Current Version: 2.1c!
    Available on PAMM.

This mod allows you to see the complete details of previewed planets in the New Game and Lobby screens. The default details always shown are the planet's biome and precise diameter. (No more vague 'Size 2' and 'Size 3' planets that range from a radius of 283 to 977!) Full details are all of the useful properties choosable in the editor: random seed, radius, biome scale, height range, water height and temperature.
    (Position, velocity and mass are not shown.)
    v1.2: The vague 'Size' attribute is back, but it's now accompanied by the much more useful Surface Area of a planet. Planet icons now reflect the size of a planet.
    v1.3: Added an implementation for the Lobby screen. Now if only you could see how many planets there were before you join a lobby...
    v1.3.1: Fixed the display of the planet sizes. Algorithm wasn't working (and took me this long to notice!)
    v2.0: Completely updated for Gamma.
    v2.1: Shows planet metal stats! v2.1a: Fixed for 70289. v2.1b: Resolution fixes and a close button! v2.1c: Fixed for 71379.

Plus a special treat: Click 'New Seed' to randomly generate a new seed from 0 to 32767 (probably), to revitalize that old, tired system with fresh new planets!
    v1.2: Added 'New Radius' and 'New Biome'. Now you can really mix up those planets.
    v2.0: Gone. Would be a pain anyway, with the way systems are preloaded immediately.

Compatibility: Replaces the planet selector table and a related div.

With a special shout out to Sneakyness' "Advanced" Planet Info mods (New Game and Lobby).

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 13, 2014
    tunsel11, galaxyisos, FSN1977 and 7 others like this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

+1

Question. I know this is perverse, but if you can edit these dials, can you edit the metal spot slider to make it function? It's wrong to do but I want to know if it's there enough to be possible to do.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Tried that long ago. The selected value of the slider was just ignored.
    timp13 and thetrophysystem like this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

So the server is trained not to recognize the slider yet. Unattached. Well, it was a thought, right brah?

+1 to the devs for thinking ahead that we are smart enough to have thought of that.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Last edited: November 28, 2013
    kongkillha likes this.
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Suggestions:
    Metal should be number of mex points, not total metal.

Radius should be 'm' not 'M'

Order should be radius, followed by metal followed by the rest.
  7. Dementiurge

There's no 'metal' entry. That's just the biome of the two metal planets.
    Unfortunately, the game doesn't store metal clusters in the blueprint. They're likely only available once the planet is finally generated (at least until it becomes possible to specifically set the metal quantity). It might be possible to estimate how many metal spots there will be, if I knew what algorithm generates them... Sadly, metal spot generation is still opaque.
  8. Dementiurge

Release: Version 1.2! New picture of the New Game page for reference.

Lobby page no longer shows full details, because it could push the 'Ready' button off the bottom of the screen. I'll revamp it "soon". I really want to be able to see the entire system while in the lobby.
    Trivia note: The planet icon displays the 'Ice' biome if the planet has a temperature of 10 or below.
  9. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

Testing out the mod along with the custom template selection and everything seems to be working well.

A few pointers I really wished were added was the ability to set some of the other planet variables (in particular water height). And an option to change all the values for a particular planet. The template mod does this for a system, but just something to regenerate one in particular planet. These are direly needed to make sure this system is properly funtional.

And just to ask if you will develop this mod further at a later date? Such as adding sliders to change the planet stats, or load in saved individual planets into the system?
  10. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I once had an excellent planet when I created a game. Sadly, i didn't have any info about it to recreate it. This mod solves this issue.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  11. Dementiurge

There are other features I want to add to the mod later, mostly informative. Adding sliders and changing water height would be easy, but I don't want to clutter up the New Game screen too much. At least, not until I can carve out some room and features with the Random System Templates mod.
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

An edit button that pops up the sliders in a floating ui window would be perfect for that. You could show the whole edit panel from the system editor - minus the preview button of course.
  13. Dementiurge

v1.3.1
    Minor fix and verified that it works with the latest update. Also, I ran the game without this mod and the New Game/ Lobby pages just felt so... empty! I don't know how you people manage without it.

Someone needs to upload this to PAMM.
    5 commits and 2 reverts and 3 deleted forks later, I've concluded that I'm allergic to github.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  14. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Done.
    Dementiurge likes this.
  15. Dementiurge

Thank you sir.
  16. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

You're welcome. In the future you can just PM me whenever you need me to upload something to PAMM and I should get to it within a day.
  17. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

If this works in the new build, could you upload a new screenshot would love to see what it looks like in the new lobby screen man....
  18. Dementiurge

The old version (alas 1.31 shined for only two days before Gamma arrived) doesn't work, because the table it needs no longer exists. I've remade the mod twice over trying to figure out what to do with it, but what I really need is an elegant place to squeeze a 'Show System Details' button.

But I do have pictures.
    PA_advancedplanetdetails200a.png
    emraldis and zaphodx like this.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Can you make it onmouseover?
    ORFJackal likes this.
  20. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

what if you put the button next to the name of the system?