The reasons why T2 air is broken.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by matizpl, February 25, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

the gunship adds welcomed staying power to an air unit. It just needs to be weak against antiair because it lingers in range instead of passovers.

really, I'd be more likely to believve the design of air was broke after it was balanced better and still failed.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Im not a fan of their HP boost.

I still have nightmares of the SupCom2 unkillable gunships *shudders*, and to think, I have played over 400 hours of that game...
    Murcanic and stuart98 like this.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Have you tried doing a bomb run with 50 bombers in the current patch? Doesnt sound like you have to be honest.
    They are forced into formation unless you take 49 of them and assist the last 1. But that itself is risky.

Again formations are forced now so if they do hack all their bombers into the same spot and you dont have your com protected adequately with flak by the time they amass such a high amount of bombers it just sounds like you are doing it wrong.
  4. Clopse

Yeah that is true and yes it is stupid. But out of all the people that know this only 4 people voted it as an issue on patracker. I have talked to scathis about it and he was unaware. So maybe it can be fixed for the next patch.

Would like to also add that air scouts should lose intel when landed. So annoying needing a dox and a fighter just to kill it.
  5. Clopse

It's not a silly suggestion and you are not the first to mention it either. I know it is off topic but I disagree with thwewhole air needs energy to reload and to refuel arguments. The same argument could be made for every unit in PA.
  6. frostybytes

frostybytes New Member

This would make air not so much a type of unit as an unusual type of artillery. I'd much rather see the usual balance tuning to give them their own unique set of strengths and weaknesses as all unit types should have. And by which I do not mean adding any movement based mechanical restrictions.

As I recall the devs are focusing on feature completion before going on to fine balanced tuning as far as units are concerned so at best I'd expect to see some rough balance tuning of air units in the next little while.
    Quitch likes this.
  7. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

REMEMBER THE HUMAN
  8. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

matiz you were the best soviet in red alert 3.
    matizpl likes this.
  9. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

Just look how the air units move. They can rotate to any direction in like 1/4 seconds in full speed. It's just absurd and strange. And if you stop moving them they just use some kind of air brakes and almost instantly lose all of their speed. In supcom the airplanes need to move a big circular path to turn around. In PA this circle is non existent. They just copied bot movement to air units.

Is this because of beta or is the air movement just designed to work like this?
    Last edited: February 25, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  10. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

I convinced Zlex to try out PA, GYLF is reactivated :D!
  11. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

matiz in your spare time, play this too XD
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I think these are the only ones that are actually "broken".

Before t2 fighters became very OP, t1 air spam won.

And 10 is a horrid bug. I didn't realise that was the problem when I was moaning about people moaning about it. There doesn't even need to be a flying air unit involved.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Good write up. I am pretty sure Scathis is aware of these issues.
  14. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I feel like This was a summary of all the Air balance suggestions in the balance discussion forum. We'll see what Scathis does to improve the interaction.
  15. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

No. Stacking was never the issue. We know that now. The issue is that bombers and gunships can destroy any land army in moments.

Not buildings and stuff.

ARMIES.
  16. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Tell me, in what way is stacking not related to Bombers overlapping their damage and annihilating both armies and bases in moments?
    byte01 likes this.
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Because Bombers have Carpet Bombing, they attack a wide area at once.

One bomber can plow through an army in moments. MOMENTS. Add a few on to that and.....you just get more AOE.

As for sniping buildings, the same effect is produced in a different way if we remove stacking. In any case, bombers don't stack any more - they move in formation. It doesnt effect anything, they just zone in on the single target you want.

One bomber run can easily wipe out a nuke launcher + assisting fabbers. 10 take out a t2 fac in moments, while halleys.....I dont know. They have as much as a comm.

The problem isn't that the FORCE MULTIPLIER is working - the issue is that they have so much power by themselves.

Can you see an unmicroed leveler doing that to a base? or a vanguard?

I mean, an airdropped vanguard, yes, but not one that just crawls up to your base/army.
  18. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

I like the OP... but it isn't new. All of this has been said many many times before and it has been said over the last month.
    Hopefully something is done about it this time.
  19. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

Bombers carpet bomb if you give them a move command that takes them over enemy units. But they still stack if you give them the command to attack a single unit. Both T1 and T2 bombers work like that. I tested it on build 61450 just a minute ago by attacking an AI commander.
  20. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

How broken is Advanced Air?

This broken:

Quitch and ORFJackal like this.