Metal Planets - Should Metal Extractors Be Buildable Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Helpsey, September 30, 2013.

?

Should Metal Extractors Be Buildable Anywhere

1. Yes

51.5%
  2. No

48.5%
  1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Which breaks the gameplay as described.
  2. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

You didn't give any good examples, you just said you don't like seton's clutch. That is a preference.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually, You said that He said he didn't like Seton's Clutch. He talked about why gameplay is the way it is on Setons.

Mike
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I know how the gameplay is. Explaining it doesn't make a case for why it is bad.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Because that gameplay isn't good...........yeah if you have both knight and raeven telling you are wrong then you should review your point.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Sorry BMB, you're the one with the outlandish claim. There is every reason to believe that infinite money maps can't be competitive. It doesn't mean they can't be FUN, but it does mean that you'll have to prove the theory with at least one decent map.

Good luck.

(IMO I think it IS possible, but it happens to be very difficult and it requires a FAR more developed orbital layer than current. It's definitely going to require a custom map, not an RNG one.)
  7. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

A game is competitive if the playground is even and the skill ceiling high. There is nothing about metal planets that are against that. But there are lots of things about regular planets that are.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There's also a lot of things about mixing regular worlds and money worlds that screw up the "even playground".

That's the problem. Having all one way or all the other way isn't so bad. It's when they mix that the situation blows up.
    Raevn, kayonsmit101 and igncom1 like this.
  9. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Whether a mix is balanced or not is entirely on the shoulders of the map maker. Right now map designers don't have any control over the random generation, but they do have perfect control over the composition of a system.
  10. sypheara

sypheara Member

Metal maps producing infinite metal would be ******* horrendous. It was fun in TA for skirmishes, but otherwise a solid no.

I don't want matches to be purely who can go orbital and claim the metal planets first. It makes all other planets completely useless in comparison, apart from to use as staging posts.
  11. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I already pointed out several times now that if two people have a presence on a metal planet, but only one person has a presence on other planets, then that second person will have a stronger economy and be able to expand faster. There seems to be this delusion going around that metal planets are somehow insta-win, which couldn't be farther from the truth.
  12. sypheara

sypheara Member

I fail to see your logic. If every spot possible on the surface of a planet allows metal extraction, I can slap a tech2 metal extractors in huge swathes across its surface. If the other person does not have access to a similarly equipped metal planet, that pretty much is an instant win for me.

They are going to get horrifically outproduced in no time at all.
    Raevn likes this.
  13. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

You don't seem to understand the words that I am writing.
  14. sypheara

sypheara Member

I do but your point is moot. Two players having access to a metal planet is the BEST case. In the worst case, its horrifically broken balance, and means that metal planets are the only ones worth contesting as they are literally unlimited metal sources, in your proposed change.
    Raevn and kayonsmit101 like this.
  15. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Do I gotta make every point over again for each person who posts in the thread or what....
  16. sypheara

sypheara Member

I have read the last few pages, and you seem to be making very little sense? Infinite resources clashes with raising the skill ceiling and makes resources easier, not harder to acquire.
    Raevn and kayonsmit101 like this.
  17. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

You might as well abolish the notion of requiring resources on a metal planet altogether. With that in place the skill ceiling shoud go, well, through the ceiling, shouldn't it?
    In all honesty bmb, restrictions in games are there to force decisions and trade-offs. If you remove them you remove part of what makes the game a game. Why would you want that?
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  18. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

And, not to mention, there currently isn't a large metal sink other than mass war machines, which is a concept that can already be approached with normal maps. Adding the ability to mine an infinite number of an extremely limited resource would not end well at all.
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Taking things out of context sure makes them easier to understand!

Metal is by no means limited right now. Having certain limits can make them game more interesting. Always having the same limits can make it more dull, boring, and samey. Facilitating different limits in different situations creates different gameplay for players to deal with.
  20. aznpcgamer

aznpcgamer New Member

I'd love to see buildable metal extractors anywhere on metal planets, because I mean really? It's made of metal, obviously a metal extractor should be able to you know, extract metal off of a METAL planet. But as to seeing it in the game? Looks like not since the majority rules over the minority of people who actually want it.