Next tiers?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by omniao, February 22, 2014.

1. omniao

omniao Active Member

I know it's a kind of early time to talk about this but, does anyone have a estimate of how many tiers there will be?
    I'm hoping atleast 5, but that's kinda high.
    Another thing is, What is the next tier going to look like? I would like to see bigger bots, somewhere around the size of a comm. I would also like to see a super dropship. capable of carrying 20-50+ units.
    What do you think?
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

There will be two, advanced and basic.;) Art assets is one of the most expensive things in video games which is why there's only two. Simply for the reason that PA doesn't have that much of the budget.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

I think we got all the tiers we're gonna get buddy! Nice try though!
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. omniao

omniao Active Member

I can still rely on 1.5 and megabots, right?
    iron420 likes this.
  5. tripper

tripper Active Member

Yeah, about those megabots... no. :*(
  6. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

You are right and also wrong. Yes, we won't have any more tiers. No, it's not because of the budget.
    The reason is: Uber wants all units to be viable throughout the game. And you can't really have more than two (two and a half, maybe) tiers if you want to keep it that way. Remember SupCom? As soon as your enemy got T2 all your T1 is useless, unless you have a ton of it. As soon as your enemy got T3 all your T2 is useless, unless you have a ton of it. As soon as your enemy got Experimental all your T3 is useless, unless you have a ton of it.
    This situation makes your actual unit set far smaller than the game can provide, because you tend to use one tier at a time. And your strategic options tend to become more and more limited the further down the tech tree you are.

Also, megabots are "no" at the moment, but not completely off the table - they may (or may not) come later down the road, way after release.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You should do a search in accordance with forum rules. This has been talked about so many many times.

There are only two tiers. There will only be two tiers.

Uber wants all units to be valid at all stages of the game. Adding a third tier would invalidate other tiers.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

1 -> 1.5 -> 2 -> 2.5 -> (orbital/mega?)
    tatsujb likes this.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

T1 and T2 were still important even at the end of SupCom matches.
  10. dianalogue

dianalogue Member

Were they?
  11. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Half right isn't bad. Only human. Sup Com only played it once or twice.;) If you remember currently.
  12. brianpurkiss

No. Uber has no plans to add megabots into the game. They considered adding a megabot, even had a megabot in the game files, but after great discussion from the community, ultimately shot down the idea.

Adding megabots into the game would make the game all about having the most megabots, which is exactly what happened with SupCom.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Actually quite a few of the community do want megabots and the last thing any Uber dev mentioned on the subject was on reddit a couple of weeks ago.

*quote*
    Uber_Neutrino
    So I'm not actually against super units at all. I've commented on this before but things like the metal planet are going to make super units look un-super pretty quick. The future of PA is crazy scale.

However, we aren't concentrating on super units at the moment as we are still constructing the game. It will continue to evolve, and yes mods will have their place as well.
    *quote*
    iron420 likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

Just because a number of people in the community want metabots doesn't mean the majority does. From what I've seen, the majority of people on the forums oppose them.

I'm honestly concerned about the direction of PA concerning super units. If there's a "build this one thing and you automatically win," then the game becomes binary, boring, and stale.

One of two things happens with super units.

1: Everything revolves around building lots of super units and all other units are invalidated.
    2: Super unit instantly wins the game, so first person to build the super unit wins.

Option 1 results in a rush to super units, which creates gameplay that doesn't have much variety.
    Option 2 is binary and boring. First one to build the super thing wins. That's not strategy.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

"From our perspective [Tech Levels] are purely an organisational... nicety. Don't get hung up on the concepts of Tech 1 or Tech 2; much like TA, we try to make units that are not repetative, that are not upgrades, that are useful throughout the game." [1]
    -Garat
    iron420, lokiCML and BulletMagnet like this.
  16. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I think you mean Uber is too infatuated with TA to do anything else.
  17. nanolathe

SupCom is a much more likely candidate than TA at this stage.
  18. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

They outright reject every innovation supcom made at every stage, it's pretty clear they're going for the TA thing.
  19. nanolathe

such as?
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

At what point did Uber decide to reject zooming in-and-out from SupCom? ;P
    EdWood, lokiCML and nanolathe like this.