Metal Planets - Should Metal Extractors Be Buildable Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Helpsey, September 30, 2013.

?

Should Metal Extractors Be Buildable Anywhere

1. Yes

51.5%
  2. No

48.5%
  1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I must have missed the part of the current PA build where you could build metal extractors anywhere on a metal world ... ?

If you don't need to move to the different metal spots, that build up period is tiny. Also, Rushing as a tactic is very different to "being the first person to build an Astraeus".

How is it a good thing where the gameplay on any map with a metal planet in it equals Rush Build Orbital Or Lose?

Expanding to gain incremental advantage is not the slightest bit similar to expanding to gain an instant win advantage.

You don't have to prove anything. But if you don't, no-one has to believe you, either, and your arguments carry no weight.
    And no-one has seen games like this, because those kinds of metal worlds don't exist.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

If this isn't a formal debate then I don't have to follow the rules either; to that end:

I declare myself the winner and that you provide no legitimate arguments or concerns to the contrary. I reject your concept of reality and subsitute my own.
    Devak, cdrkf and cptconundrum like this.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Yes it does. Unfortunately whoever has the planet is pretty much slated to win. That may be fine for a 5v3 lopsided map, but it's not so nice in a team game or FFA.

Infinite money isn't infinitely good, but it is really damn good. It's not something that can be overcome with guts.
    The desert preview worlds showed some awesome sheer cliff faces and canyons. That's excellent for blocking projectiles and funneling ground units around narrow corridors.

Earth-type worlds integrate both land and water more or less in equal part. Playing up the interaction between two shockingly different theaters is good enough.

Lava worlds can be made a dozen times more awesome if you can chuck enemy units into the lava. I wonder if transports can pick up enemy tanks?
    Oh ****! Is THAT how it works? I've been seriously screwing up all this time.
    nanolathe likes this.
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

We have seen games where a massive economic advantage has been overcome with annihilation. You don't need metal planets to see that it works in principle.

You are still making the absurd claim that somehow touching down on a metal planet autowins you the game, which is simply not true. An economic lead isn't an autowin. Especially not if combat units have been forsaken for that lead. Someone who arrives slightly later with a force of units will be able to take out someone who just built extractors all day long. Someone who supplements the metal planet with other presences will have an equalizing economic advantage even if they arrive slightly later. There's lots of ways to offset even a lead of several minutes or more.

Once again, do you realize you've spent so many pages arguing against a whole gameplay style you don't personally like?

You aren't even arguing against metal planets at this point, but the idea of rushing and expansion as a whole. Which can be achieved on a smaller scale perfectly fine without metal planets.
  5. nanolathe

Working in principle does not equate to working in practice. You have no evidence that the economic advantage gained from a money-map planet is compatible in any way.
  6. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

This thread is really nosediving into absurdity. Stating "I don't need to prove myself to you", is little more than a fiat declaration of irrational zealotry, claiming that others should just believe you without critical thought.

I want no part in this.
  7. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Indeed it does if you put it in context of what I was saying rather than picking out a certain phrase and putting it on its own. My point was about monotony of gameplay, I gave an example to illustrate my point.

Need I remind everyone that PA is supposed to exist within the RTS (Real Time Strategy) genre, not the...
    real-time-throw-endless-units-at-each-other-while-stockpiling-infinite-resources-and-building-impenetrable-base s genre?

Phew, that's one heck of an acronym :p (rtteuaeowsirabib)
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

There's really no point in debating him. It is better on your blood pressure to just declare him the winner, offer your condolences to the fact that he has paid for a game he apparently doesn't like, and then go back to having fun playing PA.
  9. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The principle is the same, a smaller investment can wipe out a massive economy. Because it can wipe out economies of almost any size, the principle scales.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I don't need to prove things you could easily find the proof for elsewhere. Once again creating excellent straw men.
  11. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Removed some posts. If you don't wish to debate that's fine. But don't make it personal.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  12. nanolathe

Sigh. I've had enough of this tomfoolery for now. There's no point in debating if someone isn't playing by the rules.
    vyolin and cptconundrum like this.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

People, this forum has an ignore feature. Make use of it.
  14. nanolathe

As a Vanguard I'm somewhat obligated to not use it.
  15. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

As a Vanguard you should lead the way ;)
  16. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

BMB does have the tiniest of points though. We really don't know HOW good a money map is. There are powerful mitigating factors such as land space, energy production and lathing power. It certainly merits some kind of test.

However in the current game state, there simply aren't enough tools to level the ground between two worlds. It's too early to tell just how lopsided a metal world could be.
  17. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Metal is the limiting factor and energy is meant to be spammed.

Infinite metal = infinite firepower, and whoever gets to a planet first can start reaping the benefits. With things like the Stargates this only gets worse since you can outpour units with ease, whereas the metal planet is easily defended using your +1000 metal with a couple of orbital launchers and some catapults to prevent counter-gates.

The few niche gameplay features you get are just as easily achieved by modding the server and distributing the mod to the minority of people who might want it.

I just think it's a poor "need because TA had it" and tastes of a lack of originality, just like shields taste of "need because SupCom had it". It's better to "waste" our time pursuing original creative ideas.
    Quitch likes this.
  18. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

19. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

No one believes you, including the people who agree with your cause like me. If you spent half as must time digging up the proof you claim is so readily available instead of swearing up and down that you don't need proof then the conversation would have been over 5 pages ago. You need proof for anything you claim as fact, otherwise it's just opinion. No exceptions.
  20. Devak

Devak Post Master General

shameless self-quite?

Let's get that weapon online first shall we?

The whole metal extractors building anywhere is an overkill solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. How much more different does a metal planet need to be to be considered, i don't know, "special"?

Supcom didn't have this feature either, and nobody complained because it was called "mass" and everyone completely ignored how idiotic the idea is that you need to "mine" "mass" at specific deposits. Nobody suggested "hey a planet is made of mass, mass extractors should be buildable anywhere".

Just wait till the server comes out, make that mod, distribute it and play it.
    Quitch, iron420 and vyolin like this.