[WIP] Papa texture editor v0.4.1

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by DeathByDenim, February 7, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Whoops, that was rather silly of me. I forgot to actually encode the new imported image and the editor was simply saving the old picture rather than the newly imported picture. That's some bad testing skills on my part... I've commited the fix to GitHub, but I still need to pump out the binaries. Those will follow soon.

Also red means that that texture has been modified but not saved yet. That actually also contained a bug. :)

And yeah, the names stay the same. That is because those names are the "names" for that texture even though it looks like a path to a png file.
  2. DeathByDenim

3. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Did you change anything since the update 18 hours ago? I downloaded back then and did the skyboxes.
  4. DeathByDenim

No, I didn't, but I hadn't mentioned yet here that I made the update. Crappy train wi-fi crapped out before I could do so.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I want to import some 4096x4096 images :D Is that possible or are you restricted to using the 1024 RGB Uber files to import them?

There are DXT5 images that are 2048x2048 could those be used to import 2k RGB textures?
  6. DeathByDenim

It's currently hardcoded that the imported image needs to be the size of the original papa, but that's only because I haven't bothered to find out what happens if you allow other sizes. I should find that out one of these days. I'll see if I can make the adjustments and see what happens. :)

As for the DXT5 images, the papa editor will refuse to even import images, since it can't encode to DXT5 yet and it always wants to preserve the format. Also, the names of the textures are stored inside the textures, but I don't know how those are used by PA. Renaming the papa file might not cut it.

I think you might be able to use the papatran tool to convert pngs to papas though. As far as I know the default.settings file controls the format the image is saved too. Maybe putting in a8r8g8b8 instead of dxt5 will make you proper skyboxes? Just guessing now really. Note that you need to run papatran from inside the media directory or it will complain with cryptic error messages.
  7. DeathByDenim

So, papatran automatically resizes to 1024 x 1024 when I put in 2048 x 2084. That's ominous. :)
  8. zaphodx

I got 4k textures working. Can still do adjustments for quality. Getting wraparound on the skybox though because it's coded for 1k textures. Know where the code for generating the skybox is?
  9. DeathByDenim

That's neat. How did you manage that?

I'm venturing in territory I know little about, but the skybox cube is defined in "media/pa/terrain/sky/fbx/skybox_01.papa". Possibly you can use raevn's Blender plugin for editing papa model?
  10. zaphodx

I can't quite remember I had to add some stuff to the settings file and set the max resolution=4k.
  11. superouman

If papatran resizes automatically to 1024*1024, maybe there is a bigger a8r8g8b8 papa texture file somewhere which can be tweaked to use as a skybox face. I defiantly want to have a skybox with a better resolution
  12. DeathByDenim

Nope, here's a list of all of the textures and their format and size. Just 1024 x 1024 for A8R8G8B8.
  13. DeathByDenim

A few bugfix release has been released. This may fix the weird effects at the edges of skyboxes. (or it may not). There was definitely a bug in the papa texture editor though.
  14. superouman

Thanks, I'll check it ouy tonight.
  15. superouman

So, this update fixed a bug but not the one you thought.
    There is no emerald-colored fog when watching in the corners but the lines of the edges of the cube still exist.
    [​IMG]
  16. DeathByDenim

Well, that's closer at least. :)
  17. zaphodx

18. superouman

I converted the same pictures again in the lastest version of papa texture editor
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no longer works.

I get this "this implementation no longer supports subelements" and I cannot import :
    xz.jpg
    :(
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It could only ever import skyboxes.