mobile flak.... we need it!!!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by beer4blood, February 18, 2014.

1. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Just a simple aye will suffice that you agree we need mobile flak units. With the huge buff gunships just got and the tank, super death destruction caused by hornets we need mobile flak.
    matizpl, stuart98 and shotforce13 like this.
  2. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I think we need to stop making T2 be straight upgrades from T1 like they said they weren't going to do.
    stormingkiwi, l3tuce and Antiglow like this.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Why not shoot the gunship with the tank? Wow, game design is so much easier when units aren't retarded.
    Antiglow, stuart98 and iron420 like this.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Artificial restrictions make me a sad little Kroot. It just makes the game feel so shallow when units have very pre-determined interactions.
    :(
    Last edited: February 18, 2014
    cdrkf, emraldis and stuart98 like this.
  5. zomgie

zomgie Member

I agree entirely that among advanced bots, vehicles, and/or naval there should be flak units. It is extemely annoying to make a huge army only to have them instantly leveled by an advanced bomber as soon as they leave your flak perimeter.
  6. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

Have the tank factory aa be flak and give the bot aa longer missile range.
    iron420 likes this.
  7. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

I agree with this to the point that if they do so, they better have a pretty high efficiency rate. If you are advocating an implementation ala TA, where tanks would hopelessly shoot at aircraft instead of actual, viable ground targets, this would do nothing but make tanks unusable when enemy aircraft are present.

I don't think mobile AA is a bad idea per se; I think having both somewhat better versions of some T1 units, along with specialized, risk/reward type units would strike a good balance.
    DalekDan likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's not really a straight upgrade.

I think we need to wait for better fighter/air balance before we start adding units like this.

I support the idea, but I don't think we should add more units than are needed.
    naginacz likes this.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

There's this cool thing called a "targeting priority". It helps remind tanks that they are best suited for shooting other tanks.
  10. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Target Priorities
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

If all you want is an aye, why isn't this a poll?

And yes, I think mobile flak is required otherwise if you lose the skies it's going to be near impossible to do anything.
  12. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Have you guys been watching the latest livestreams? T2 air has been significantly nerfed, t1 ground anti air is actually useful now and in one of the streams meta did a t2 air rush and got held back by t1 big force of t1 ground anti air.

Mobile flak isn't needed. Patience on the other hand...
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  13. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Unlike bombers or fighters though, gunships could be realistically targeted by tanks, lasers, and maybe dox/slammers. In fact, that's probably a great way to balance them. If they're vulnerable to AA and direct fire ground weapons, you can have a strong, fast raider that doesn't completely dominate the game. The bombers would stay useful because they wouldn't be targetable by traditional anti-ground weapons, and fighters would remain the primary AA unit. Although I do feel that mobile ground AA needs some lovin'.
  14. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Limiting ground base AA will be a mistake. Supcom FA was a perfect example, land units where helpless against a gunship blob. Im all for flak tank. (And please spare me the "build fighters" response, not everyone plays the same);)
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Given that we only have access to a partial first balance pass its a bit early to be making claims that we NEED stuff like this yet. Hopefully with upcoming builds as the balance gets more far reaching/defined we'll be in a better position to figure stuff like his out.

Mike
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  16. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Agreeished.

Gunships shouldn't be so much better than T1 bombers that T1 AA can't handle them. That way, we won't need mobile flak.

But as it is, T2 is a straight upgrade to T1. So hah, Garat.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

retool the existing aa units Tunguska style (but with flak) weak flack caanon and long range aa seeking missiles
  18. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

Fair, but that would still mean anytime you were in range of enemy ground units/structures, you would be at the mercy of their air force. Assuming T2 air doesn't get nerfed (which I hope it does, after watching a few of those PACE matches (RUSH T2 AIR GOGOGO)), this just means the slaughter of your units would occur closer to their base.

My bigger point was in my first sentence, and was that if this change were implemented, what would the implications be? If ground units became efficient enough to clear out air units without AA, a number of other units like fighters/anti-air would be somewhat redundant. I guess this is a matter of opinion, but I like a decent amount of depth/specialization in the unit roster, not so much pumping out a few units that do everything. I like the idea that a strategic option would be carefully picking off someone's AA units to allow for bombers to swoop in, or choosing the risk/reward path of investing against air in a bot/tank rush or taking a risk and rushing a quicker/cheaper force without. I think it leads to less predictable games that are more exciting.

I'm not totally against the idea of ground units hitting planes, I just hope it's basically only effective if a plane is barely moving or circling slowly like a construction aircraft.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Honestly I think the only "mobile" flak should be on big t2 ships like battleships. other than that your air defense should be t1 and t2 fighters.

Agreed
  20. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Na, you still don't get it. Just because they can all shoot at air doesn't mean they are all good at it. Some units, like those who launch missiles for instance, are just naturally better at hitting air thanks to their weapon types. So both missile and shell shooting units can hit both, but the shells are better against ground and the missiles are better at shooting air. With each prioritizing their "preferred" enemy.