Super Units in PA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, February 10, 2014.

1. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

Something like that yes it could even use multiple (less efficient?) vaccum nanolathes instead of guns if your partial to that, or any kind of weapon so long as the damage is spread around. Other possibilities include low damage cluster missiles looking at the original design though to me it looks a little to focused.
  2. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

Well that's what kinda what makes them pretty unique and good as siegebreakers. 0 hp doesn't necessarily mean 100% destroyed but "critical point" where the unit will stop functioning.

Well, that doesn't sound negative thing for me but I guess that's personal preference.

This "slow rate of fire high damage" megabot is what I've been thinkin too, it would make small bots useful against megabots due to the DPS wasted on the small bots and megabots good against tougher buildings/units. It would create pretty interesting relationship between these type of units. But I wouldn't go into extremes with the "slow firing rate" and "long range". And I wouldn't add the "massive power drain" at least not at the beginning, only if it becomes too spammable and replaces the smaller units.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Depends on the units intended role, most assuredly.
  4. hearmyvoice

5. igncom1

I just don't what such a unit to be good at too much stuff, otherwise they become VERY effective.
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

... almost regardless of cost thanks to the streaming Economy.

Agreed.
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. hearmyvoice

And I don't want it to suck at almost everything. That really defeats the entire purpose of experimentals...
    I'm not saying it should be efficient to take out armies alone with it, but if it's so helpless that it can't survive if it's 5 seconds alone then there's nothing mega about it at all. Except if it's stationary or support experimental, but I'm not talking about them.
    iron420 likes this.
  8. igncom1

Other then what it is designed to do.

If it's designed to say kill T1 air, that should be the only thing it is good at, because for the price of being slow, big and weak it is really, really good at it's job.

And that's the catch, it's absolutely frigging good at it's one job, an it could do it all day, but otherwise is absolutely terrible.

That's how they should be balanced when compared to normal units.
  9. hearmyvoice

I don't really understand why it should have only one main job like that, why not make it "softer"?

That doesn't sound "hard unit to use". It sounds more like "Ok I made this terribly UP cool unit now I hope I'm lucky enouhg my enemy doesn't spot it in radar because if he does then all he have to do is throw a rock at it and it collapses".
  10. igncom1

Well the counter system works like that for just about every unit.

Which for a single unit proses a bigger problem of having someone snipe it anyway.

The point isn't to make it underpowered, if anything it's to counter the effect it has on it's actual role.

If the unit was good at it's role and could easily survive on it's own then you wouldn't really need to support it with anything other then units that counter the main units counter.
  11. hearmyvoice

Yeah but if it's siege breaking experimental, then it's purpose is to survive. I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily be that it just can't counter something at all, like normal land units, it could be that it can still do something about them but it has a disadvantage in that situation. If it's something that needs to be in the front lines then it's pretty important it really can survive there without back ups for a while (not necessarily do alot of damage), at least so that it just might have a change to fall back or position itself in a better position.
  12. igncom1

Well if it's a siege unit, durability could be essential, but then a good balancing factor would be a weapon that is utter pants vs units.

It can fight back, but seriously good luck with that.

The idea isn't that it can't help with things out side of it's role, but that you wouldn't want it doing that job unless it's a do or die situation.

Like say, a super tank, designed to repair tanks and kill dox.

Now it can kill enemy tanks, but you don't want to be in that position because it's pop guns aren't designed for that job and it will get overwhelmed if left alone.

Not that it'll die in seconds, but it won't be saving it's self.
  13. hearmyvoice

Now that pretty much summed up what I was talking about. :D
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. igncom1

15. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Survival is not a requirement in any way shape or form. The only purpose of a siege breaker is to be more effective on the attack than on defense. Otherwise, players would defend with them and we would be back to square one!
  16. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

how about a scaled up version of the flame tank with super heavy armor that is slow as hell but auto reclaims units really fast with a cone like aoe weapon that targets anything and every thing within its firing range but is vulnerable to air.
  17. igncom1

What kind of unit role is that, that isn't already filled by actual flame tanks and engineers?

Not saying the idea is terrible, but I am dubious about a unit that kills anything that walks into it.
  18. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I'll be happy with just the Mega Bot.. that thing is massive when you look at the concept-art scale, in comparison to the commander, it absolutely dwarfs it haha... Of course no unit should be OP, but when you have such a unit, you sure as **** dont want it to be puny as hell in its capabilities... why i always thought only being able to build one per planet would be suffice...
  19. meir22344

meir22344 Active Member

anti-swarm shredder unit that targets multiple units in a wider area and at longer range but the nano-lathe isn't on a turret so the whole unit must turn and face the enemy to attack.
  20. igncom1

Never liked a number restriction in a game like this, kinda kills the point of the scale when you can only have 1 of something.

As for that mega bot, it doesn't have enough downsides, a bit like the experimnetals from supcom, they were so good they were very easy to use alone, or even with fighters as their only needed backup.

Wide area and long range? I though it was supposed to be short ranged?

As for a swam shredder, don't we have artillery and bombers for that? And with a reclaimer weapon, the unit effectively pays for it's self, making it easy to suicide against enemy army's.

It also might be better to specify what kind of swarm does it deal with, little dox blobs or tank battalions?

Also you unit specified that it could target anything and everything, does that include aircraft and satellites?

That would be too much if so. It needs some serious downsides (Don't have to be crippling, but enough to make them a part of an army, not the replacement) to keep it balanced.