[REL] System Sharing

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cptconundrum, February 7, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

System Sharing has been replaced by System Sharing 2. Please use the new thread from now on.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-client-system-sharing-2.69117/

Thanks to @trialq for the mod video.

System Sharing v1.4.3 is on PA Mod Manager!

Using this mod with my Enhanced System Preview mod is recommended, but not required.

The mod adds a button to the system editor to share your system. Users with permission to save to more than one server will get a drop-down to choose which server they save to. If you only have permission to save to the default server, you will not see that drop-down.

On the screen where you pick a planet to load, you should see a new button for "SHARED SYSTEMS". You can browse there and load a system into the system editor. Getting a system for a new game works pretty much the same way.

This version has a Default Server that anyone can save to and a PA Matches server. Only Brian can save to PA Matches, so he will be using it to create a list of recommended PA Matches systems. If anyone else wants to run a server like that, let me know.

If any clans want to run a private server, you can send me a PM. I'll give you a mod that clan members need installed to view or save to your server.

Keep in mind that if Uber changes the planet generation algorithms (Such as we are likely to see in the next update) planets saved to a server might change too. There really isn't anything that can be done about this, so we will just have to see what happens.
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
    Alpha2546, Quitch, shootall and 7 others like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Woohoo! Finally able to easily share systems.
  3. cptconundrum

Now if only I can figure out how to get that on PAMM...
  4. cptconundrum

There was a page build failure because my email hadn't been verified. It is now, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Do I roll back and try again?

*Edit*
    That worked! This mod is now on PAMM.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Fork this, add it as described and push: https://github.com/pamods/pamods.github.io
    If you want to make it easy for us, run the list generator yourself and push the changes to the json mod list file thing as well.

EDIT:
    E-Mail verification? What?
  6. cptconundrum

I had to verify my email with github. It sent me a "Page build failed" email because I hadn't done that. To fix it, I had to verify, roll back my last commit, and recommit. Doesn't really make sense to me, but at least it worked.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Ah yeah right you are a member of the github group anyway, so no need to fork :)
    Dunno I have my account there for a while already, dunno about validations like that.
  8. cptconundrum

What are you guys using to post news items to PAMM? I see the html file, but I'm assuming you don't just edit the file directly. Or do you?
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Heh, you do. :)
    Just copy one of the <div class="news_item"> and you're good to go.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

This :)
  11. cptconundrum

My server runs pretty slowly if it hasn't been used in a while. It looks like Google App Engine keeps shutting down the JVM instance and restarting it on demand. I'll be adding some kind of loading animation to let people know that it's working.

*Edit*
    For now I'm using a cron job to keep at least once instance alive. This could easily bring me over the App Engine daily quota, so I might need to rewrite the server for something other than app engine. Of course Google's solution is just to charge me, but I like money.
    Last edited: February 8, 2014
  12. cptconundrum

Updated to v1.1.0

New version has a loading animation whenever the server is taking a while to respond. I have worked out most of those server issues, but there are still rare cases where the server can take up to 20 seconds to respond.

I also added the PACE League database, which will be used to host official eSports League tournament maps.
  13. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Yay!
  14. cptconundrum

Does anyone know a way to keep Google App engine from shutting down every server instance? My original php server ran really fast compared to this...
  15. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Don't know about app engine specifically, but a general brute force method is to set up a monitoring service to make a request more often than the shutdown time.
  16. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Last edited: February 9, 2014
  17. cptconundrum

I have a from job requesting a /keepalive page every 10 minutes. Sometimes it can keep an instance up for hours, but other times Google shuts it down anyway.

My php server was just a couple quick and dirty scripts for testing. If I went back to mysql + php I would need to completely rewrite it for security reasons. You could hack my php server in seconds if you wanted to.
  18. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I'll look at your code once it's on GitHub but usually app engine instances start up in five seconds and that delay only happens after it hasn't been used for awhile.
  19. cptconundrum

Uploaded. I saved myself some time and used Commons BeanUtils and Google Gson. Maybe those dependencies are taking a while to load?
  20. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Possibly. I'll try to look into it sometime today but I may have to wait a couple of days before I get the time to really check it out.