Metal to HP correlation?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by ViolentMind, January 24, 2014.

1. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Exactly...which was the whole point of my original post. ;)

I thought for some reason that you meant that damage was also a factor of metal cost. So, my bad.
  2. ViolentMind

You could also use artillery, or bombers, which would be cheaper than a nuke. In any case, destroying repairing combat fabbers, I have to believe, is an unintended use of artillery and bombers in this game. Not to mention the fact that if you had enough fabbers repairing, then you'd have to have multiple artillery to even have any effect.
  3. ViolentMind

Exactly. If you have the power to support the repair, and enough combat fabbers, the Commander is pretty much invincible.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  4. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

My Artillery had no effect 'cos he has a bunch of Combat fabs repairing the walls like crazy. So I had to nuke just outside the base to take out a small portion of the walls and finally enter with my army. Once got in, it was quickly over.
  5. ViolentMind

Yeah, what I meant was that the artillery would need to target the fabbers, to stop the repair. After the fabbers were taken out, you'd need some forces to come in and take out the walls, because arty ain't that efficient at taking out the walls, even if they are not being repaired.
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

True. In that specific occasion it was very tough to place any artillery, 'cos the planet was extremely upland and mountainous. There was a corridor to walk though before to get in range, and of course the turtle made sure to have it covered by its artillery.

So, any rush to get its gate could just bring my tanks in range of its turrets, but my tanks, even in several hundreds, couldn't break though the walls.

I had to use a nuke. God bless the nuke :)
  7. godde

godde Well-Known Member

8. ViolentMind

Nice! Good work! I say the more information, the better.

A couple of things....you might want to put something like (relative repair rate) next to your "HP per 1 Metal" stat. That way people make the connection as to what that one really means to the in game mechanic of repairing units. Also, you might want to round to the hundredth place. Too many numbers after the decimal place just looks a tad bit messy. Just some simple suggestions though.
    Last edited: February 6, 2014
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I would need to know how much it costs to repair a unit first. Do you know?
    Now rounded with 4 decimals.
  10. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

11. Shyru

Shyru New Member

I think the reason why the metal/hp ratio is so different because metal equals build-time when building units. In Supcom there was another value for each unit: the time it takes to build the unit. But this has a drawback: If you have a unit that is short to build but cost a significant amount of metal/energy you suddenly have big metal/energy use if you start building the unit. This lead to a very changing eco depending on what you built.
    In PA the devs wanted to make this easier and more predictable: A given builder (fab/bot/etc) has a fixed ratio between the energy it consumes and how much metal it can build with this energy per second. This makes the eco predictable because you know how much energy/metal income you need to support a given builder. Since this the way they choose it to be, the metal cost of a unit is the only thing they can change to change the build-time of a unit. Since they wanted the build-time of a wall be relativly low compared to its hp they needed to have a very low metal-cost of the wall.
    This now leads to the aforementioned problems, but they are not easily solvable by fixing the metal/hp ratio because then you cannot anymore balance units and say: This is complicated unit to build, so it takes a lot of time to build.
    So I think in the end uber probably need to add a build-time value for each unit. Then this all can be balanced better. But balancing then also gets more complicated.
  12. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Typo. Changed that field to "Strength per 1 metal" anyway.