1. bigbaddaboom

bigbaddaboom New Member

Hello! I own both a mac and a pc, and I'm wondering if I will be able to play the game on either with one purchase, or if I need to buy a second version for the second computer? I'm asking because if I can only play the game on one or the other, I need to decide which version I will download. Of course, if I can play on both with just one purchase that would totally rock. Please let me know.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Planetary Annihilation works on PC, Linux, and Mac.

You only need to purchase it once - though you will only be able to play online play on one computer at a time.

If you want two players to play against each other on the two computers you will need to buy it twice.

You should check out the stickied FAQ. This, and many other questions are answered there.
    melhem19 and Timevans999 like this.
  3. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Unless you have one of the beefy desktop iMacs or whatever they call them now, I'd default to PC no matter what. You have a lot more options for optimizing your hardware for performance... believe me, this game won't run well on a macbook.

As far as I know you won't be locked out of anything for downloading to one platform or another.
    iron420 likes this.
  4. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

That's not true. On my super beefy Retina Mac Book Pro, Planetary Annihilation runs smoothly at 10 frame per minutes that's just delicious.
    iceDrop, iron420, corruptai and 2 others like this.
  5. sirbostontbagparty

sirbostontbagparty Member

Damn 10 frames per minute 10/10 ~ IGN
    corruptai and carlorizzante like this.
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Well, some times the frame rate is so slow that if I give orders to my troops to move into the enemy base, all freezes and the next frame I'm blessed to see it is 30 seconds later, when no one of my units survived, and some damage has been made some how at the enemy structures.

It is that bad.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. darac

darac Active Member

I'm on the latest Mac Book Pro and it runs fine. I'm running it in windows though, I don't know if it's any different on mac.
  8. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

macs are for people who dont understand computers. and they are always slower than something you can build yourself.
    Slamz, wheeledgoat and iron420 like this.
  9. brianpurkiss

Why are you such a bitter and angry person? Because that's just not true. You also need to take into account that OS X is a far superior OS.

And if you really want to take it further, then Linux really would be the best computers out there. Except they have little to no software for it, which is why I use OS X rather than Linux.

I have a 09 iMac and run PA pretty well. If my graphics card were a year or two newer, it'd run tons faster.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  10. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

The new Macs with Intel cpus and Nvidia gpus are ok to run games if you do not know how to build a pc.

Please avoid unnecessary insults.
    Last edited by a moderator: February 2, 2014
    iron420 likes this.
  11. enderdude

enderdude Member

i have a mac, probably one of the best but it still lags, a PC would be better
  12. brianpurkiss

Everything lags with PA.

And unless you have the latest Mac Pro or latest iMac, you don't have one of the best.
  13. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

MAC = PC. The only thing that is different is the operating system.
    cdrkf and corruptai like this.
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

That's almost true. Windows doesn't make their own computers, they just make the operating system, whereas apple makes their computers. In general, a custom rig, for the same price, will be better than a pre-made PC that you buy from DELL or apple. Of course you can just buy a mac OS and run it on a custom rig, but many people find it easier just to buy a mac as one piece. The issue is that too many people (gamers in general) compare the fact that PCs are usually custom-built, whereas the common conception of a mac is bought as one piece. So a lot of people are comparing what amounts to a dell computer to a custom rig, without comparing the operating systems.
  15. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

Don't forget the rip-off price.
  16. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

That's not the operating system, DELL is primarily a windows PC producer, and their prices aren't particularly great either. Same with alienware, though they operate on a slightly higher level. In pretty much every situation, a custom rig would out-preform a one-piece model by any company. We should not be judging the hardware, we should be judging the software.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

x86 is x86 irregardless of how much custom hardware there is. Dell also has custom hardware. Both of them use commodity hardware as well. When you really is the operating system. the only way you can have legally a copy of Mac OS X is by purchasing one of their machines. Their EULA does not permit anyone to have a copy.
  18. darac

darac Active Member

Well actually I have a mac so I can develop iPhone apps.
    Timevans999 likes this.
  19. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Moderators can we get some gratuitous use of the ban-hammer in this thread please?
    cwarner7264 and cptconundrum like this.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Cleaned up a bit. I know Mac Vs PC is like a holy war, but please avoid directly insulting users of one or the other.