Friendly Fire on Splash Damage

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by carlorizzante, January 30, 2014.

?

Regarding Friendly Fire...

1. Ok for Artillery

26 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Ok for Bombers

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Ok for Anything that causes Splash Damage

68 vote(s)
    68.7%
  4. Everything in PA uses auto-targeting nanolythes, so no, get lost.

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Others, specify in the comment

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

THEN DON'T DEFEND WITH PURE ARTILLERY. There are these things called "bots" and "laser towers" and "walls" and "tanks". You should try them some time.

A player who defends with pure artillery should lose, and no one will feel bad about it.

And they can have a minimum radius, which leaves anything inside perfectly safe.
    Pendaelose and carlorizzante like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Combat fabbers are great.

Still doesn't change the fact that machines built to do nothing but wage war aren't stupid enough to shoot themselves and think they're winning.

I shouldn't have to worry about my own units destroying my own base.
  3. brianpurkiss

You falsely assume that I defend with pure artillery. Or even mostly artillery.

Personally, I defend with mostly units.

Still doesn't change the fact that mechanisms of war aren't stupid enough to destroy themselves and think they are winning.

Units and buildings should simply be intelligent enough to not destroy their own base.

Why do people want their buildings to do their opponent's job for them?
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I dunno, if you had a tank behind an enemy bot, would you expect your units not to fire at it out of feat of casualty?

HELL NO! It all in good fun, and while artillery shooting at your power isn't nice (Turrets and walls man) in the grand scheme of things, if they get to your power, losing 1 power plant to friendly fire is probably better then the enemy being invulnerable due to fear of shooting your own stuff.

Just don't cluster your stuff, and the friendly shots should be fine.
    godde likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

All you're proposing are various strategies to avoid having your own buildings destroy your own base.

That is not a strong argument for having your own units kill you.

I never cluster my stuff because I have enough to worry about with enemy units and nukes.

You also assume that I only build artillery when I rarely build artillery.

I'm simply advocating for not being destroyed by my own buildings.
  6. igncom1

......Yes, I thought that was the point?

Umm, im not advocating having your units shoot each other, just that in a game with aoe weapons hurting friendly s, its inevitable.

Well you are here discussing using artillery, I didn't need to assume, you told me you did.

Then do run into your own bullets? I don't understand, its accidental friendly fire, not purposeful.
  7. brianpurkiss

I am aware there are strategies to avoid units shooting themselves in the face.

I think they just shouldn't kill themselves to begin with.

It's not accidental. It's not purposeful. It's ignorant.

They don't care if they destroy more friendly units or enemy units.

It's unintelligent.
  8. igncom1

Its friendly fire, it wasn't supposed to be smart, It just happens.
    godde likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

Except intelligent organisms of war determine if they'll do more damage to themselves or their opponent.
  10. igncom1

Dumb fire weapons can't predict the future, and even then the losses of a few tanks is what the game is about.

And the potential for smart play is really nice, leading my enemy's guns into their own stuff.

But don't mistake me, I do see your point.
  11. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Intelligent organisms of war use up computing resources like no one's business, too. I see the appeal of intelligent units but I would prefer not to sacrifice performance for features that see very little use in game.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  12. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

For cry out loud
    We are not discussing that we should not implement friendly fire we are discussing that a machine that has been built from scratch to wage war across planets to invade enemy bases to actually take an entire galaxy are dumb enought to just destroy their own buddys in order to kill 1 scout

Those tatics that you suggest does not work

"Build Walls"
    The enemy sent air transporters to drop a single unit in your base and let your artilhery level your ENTIRE base to the ground

"Build AA"
    Then you dont have money to build walls and the enemy just send a single bot letting the artilhery level your base down again

"Build Both" Then you just created a turtle base with impossible to expand and therefore you just lost the game

Those robots have been made to wage war across planets
    And then you are telling me they are not smart enought to calculate "Hey i might kill my buddys if i shoot at that single scout"
    Then they are more usefull putting a pistol on their heads and pulling the triger at least they wouldn´t kill friends doing soo

again IM NOT SUGGESTING TO KEEP FRIENDLY FIRE DISABLED IM SUGGESTING TO LET UNITS THINK A BIT BEFORE LEVELING YOUR BASE TO THE GROUND

I totally agree with |Brian idea

Letting artilhery kill your own guys because of one single scout it´s just dumb

Therefore you are just saying to the player "hey this is a extremly expensive weapon that it will fire at anything in sight even if result in destroying your entire army but who need units right, oh by the way dont get this thinq close to your base or you might lose the entire base"
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  13. igncom1

Well if units are going to smart enough to never accidentally kill your stuff, then why even bother with the game mechanic?
  14. arthursalim

I´m not saying they are smarter to never kill any stuff you have i´m just saying they can do a simple math like
    "If i shoot right in the middle of my own buddys i might kill more friendlys that enemys therefore i shall not fire"
    "if i shoot at that spot i might kill more enemys than friends therefore i shall fire"

It´s really that simple
  15. igncom1

But what If I value a few enemy deaths over larger losses of my own troops?

Like a commander?
    godde likes this.
  16. arthursalim

I was going to put this into the original post sorry but you just then get a small option in the ui like Calculated fire On/Off then all you have to do is turn that thing On/Off acording to the situation Not in the base turn On and let the macro do it for you

Wanna micro a sucesfull attack turn that off and you can do whatever you like

Good day for you sir
  17. igncom1

Hell yeah, I don't care about the plebeians.
  18. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

This is an arbitrary lore based argument.

Lore based because it's not based on gameplay, it's based on your interpretation of the lore. You don't think bots should damage their own base because lore.

Arbitrary because it makes assumptions -- assumptions I happen to disagree with.

As I stated earlier, these machines appear to me to be fairly primitive idiots with rudimentary levels of technology invested into each individual unit. You don't get 1 smart Dox. You get 100 really stupid ones. They are, currently, entirely inclined to shoot their own structures in the process of trying to hit an enemy. Currently they don't even seem smart enough to recognize when their shots are being blocked and will just stand there unloading into some intervening structure.

That's the reality you have to deal with.

The only question is whether an artillery shell that slams into your own factory will damage it or not. The fact that the Holkins is just dumb enough to do this is the reality of the situation. Should he damage it or should the damage be wizarded away, and what's your lore explanation for that?

I would suggest that the worst possible outcome of friendly fire is more explosions.

I don't see that as being a bad thing, no matter if I look at it from a gameplay standpoint, a competitive standpoint, an aesthetic standpoint or a lore standpoint.

I see no downside.

It will just be one more interesting factor to consider in combat.
    godde likes this.
  19. brianpurkiss

No. I think bots shouldn't destroy my own base because I think my units should attack the enemy, not me.

The worst possible outcome of friendly fire is you lose the match because your own defensive structures kill you rather than the enemy.

I don't see how getting blown up by my own units and structures is interesting.
  20. igncom1

Because you knew that might happen, didn't prepare for it, and your enemy used against you.
    godde and Slamz like this.