Something needs to change with nukes.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by iron420, January 31, 2014.

1. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

They suck right now. They aren't fun to play against or to use. You can spam that 1 building until you win killing armies, bases and even bases on other planets without leaving your tiny turtle base. If a teleporter comes down, just nuke it. All the reasons people hate the idea of megabots apply to nukes. I think nukes make sense to be in this game from a lore stand point, but if left as they are they should be remove on the basis of have a net-negative impact on the fun of the game. Just like subs, Uber should just take them out until they have really thought about how they are going to be implemented long term (even if the game gets released before then).
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is a heated topic that has been discussed a ton on a lot of threads, and quite possibly should continue the discussion over there.

And megabots are very different than nukes. Megabots keep on destroying everything until they are destroyed. Nukes are single use explosions. They only destroy their blast radius. No more. No less.

I still don't know how I feel about nukes.

On one hand, I like them. I like them when compared to SupCom. In SupCom, if your base was nukes, your entire base was gone. In PA, a nuke can only take out part of your base – and we're even playing on small maps right now.

However, I hate how one dimensional nukes are and how there's only one counter.

We already know that we'll have multiple nuke types. This was confirmed by Uber when they said in one of their livecasts that we'd have a nuke missile that could intercept interplanetary travelers.

So maybe things will improve when we have more nukes. But maybe not since the anti nuke is the only valid stop.

I just don't really know.
    Bnnoirjean, Quitch and Pendaelose like this.
  4. iron420

SO they suck and they aren't fun and are broken as bad or worse than the sub naval layer right now. Why are they still in the game while being so broken?
    Timevans999 likes this.
  5. KNight

because they haven't been worked on besides being made functional, just like so many other aspects of the game, Like Planet smashing.

Mike
  6. iron420

I didn't realize my beta backer status gave me access to the alpha too... Call me when we hit Beta
    Timevans999 likes this.
  7. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Nukes are great and working fine for now (until game gets full unit roster and its ready for balancing).
    I have trust in UBER folks and i am waiting patiently for their call on feedback about balancing, they will ask us about it when its time. For now they should focus on adding new features instead of fiddling with bombers, aa guns or nukes. However we could ask for option to turn them (nukes) off.
    someonewhoisnobody likes this.
  8. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

The line between Alpha and Beta is very debatable. I'm a software developer myself, and I can say the current state of PA is WAY more developed than many alphas I've seen, but I've also seen many Beta's that weren't made public until they were nearly indistinguishable from the final product.

PA is somewhere in the middle. It still has a lot of development to go through, a whole lot, but it is further along than the pure proof-of-concept level Alphas that I've seen. You could call it "late alpha" or "early beta" and either label fits well.

I think Uber only used the "beta" label because of external pressures and a quickly approaching deadline (now postponed)

In the beginning of the Alpha you're looking at achievements like "Wow! It rendered a planet without crashing!!" Now we're in beta we're worried about balance and game play tweaking. Adding or removing units is petty compared to building the system that reads .json blueprints and puts the units in game.
  9. iron420

Thats what I'm saying. Nukes got some effects and models, sure, but have clearly not gone beyond concept stage. They just shouldn't be in the game yet
  10. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

It may be worth having them in-game just so they can get a feel for what changes are needed to them.
  11. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

I don't see the problem with nukes at all.

Anti-nukes have a higher range than nukes and are cheaper to build... so the attacker is investing a lot more than what you lose. There are many ways to kill a nuke silo, ground, air, space, nuke, and we don't even have all the units in the game yet.
  12. KNight

You realize with that argument you basically have to throw out things like Teleporters, and 95% of the units right?

Nukes Should be in the game, because if we can't use them how are we supposed to determine if we like them or not?

Mike
  13. iron420

Actually the distinction is very clear. Alpha is where you implement new features. Beta is where you fine tune them.

Alpha is where they should have been adding new units, roles and considering concepts for how things function.

Beta is where they balance the units, increase stability, improve effects etc.

I know Uber doesn't do the agile approach and it's much more waterfall but for god sakes I wouldn't put a half broken page in a production environment. That **** gets an "under construction" page if it's even accessible at that point. Hell at work I don't upload changes to the source code until I've tested they work
  14. iron420

Well that's been done. The community isn't satisfied and we've formed some opinions. Now how about we get them out like they did with subs until something is done about it? It's not like there is no precedent
  15. brianpurkiss

It is your opinion that they suck and are worse than sub layer.

Not everyone agrees.

I agree that nukes need tweaking. But aren't as broken as you think.

That is your opinion.

The game developers disagree.

Go apply for a job – they're hiring. Get hired, and then you can call the shots.

And at this point the thread is dead. You are not providing alternatives or potential solutions or anything constructive.

You're just saying over and over that they should be removed without providing reasons why.
  16. iron420

I'm a backer, thats ALL I need to voice a credible opinion. Instead of a publisher or a board of directors they have us. Some new employee does the bitch work, they don't call any shots
    I've provided many reason why they aren't ready for prime time. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean they don't exsist
    Timevans999 likes this.
  17. brianpurkiss

You sound like a shareholder who owns one share and expects the company to listen to your every word. And it's actually not a reason to voice a credible opinion. Someone who buys an iPhone can't tell Apple how to make their product.

Calm down. Take a breath.

Being so aggressive will do nothing to further your argument.

If you want Uber to listen to your arguments. Make them clear, reasoned, and concise. Saying "remove it" or "change it" over and over won't accomplish anything.

You also, wrongly, assume that a tiny turtle base can win a game. It is extremely easy to kill a turtle with a small base.
    FSN1977, corruptai and Timevans999 like this.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I agree that nukes should be changed, but beta is indeed beta.
    Timevans999 likes this.
  19. iron420

I've seen 10 player games own by such players more than once
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Between new players, or between pros?
    Methlodis, corruptai and brianpurkiss like this.