Energy Shields – area control at the expense of economic

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Klau3, January 31, 2014.

1. Klau3

Klau3 New Member

Energy Shields – area control at the expense of economy
    Idea:
    Energy shields are an idea of mine to protect an limited area from damage of all of kind by consuming energy. The shield wall shouldn't be penetrable as long as it exists (units shouldn't be able to pass it - except the commander). Every damage cause to it should consume some energy for some period on the shield owner. If enough damage is caused to it, the shield would go done and the owner would be in the negative of power. Energy shields should consume a lot energy as long as they exist, even without damage caused to them.

Buildings and build order to get a shield:
    Energy shields should be a late t2 feature. Therefore I suggest to add a new building, the energy shield generator, and a new space unit the energy shield controller. The space unit should only be buildable after the user has build the shield generator building, which should be only buildable by advanced builders.

How to setup a energy shield:
    The energy shield controller space unit would have to fly above the place he wants to setup the energy shield. Then the player would click a button to setup the shield. As long as the space units is alive and the player is in the positive of energy, the shield would be up and running (and consume energy).

Why I think an energy shield would be a good addition to PA:
    Right now it is quite hard to invade a controlled enemy planet using portals, even if you have 80% map control (bombers or nukes will destroy your portal before it is finished). Shields would give players with a strong economy a possibility to end the game without being over powered.

If a player tries to make his commander “un-attackable” by creating a shield above his commander all time, it should drain down his energy economy so hard that he looses the advantage of having the strongest economy. Also nukes should hit shields quit hard on the energy side. This would ensure that players with a super strong economy in late game would be able to create shields that hold up against nukes, but in the same run prevent turtling players from surviving multiple nukes.

Maybe it would be a good idea to add a long shield setup-time, to prevent that other players activate shields only to fight certain threats (nukes) for short time.
  2. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Hey welcome to the Forum :D. This is a Feature that will not be implemented into PA. this is confirmed from the devs ( as a no )and you can see it in KNight's confirmed features list.
    So this is discussed a whole lot and this is not the core of PA and will not find a way in the normal PA.
    but maybe later in a mod when we can change server side.
    cwarner7264 and BulletMagnet like this.
  3. Klau3

Klau3 New Member

It would be nice if you could link to the KNight's confirmed features list - I have never head of it but follow the PA development more or less from the Kickstarter beginning.
  4. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

cwarner7264 likes this.
  5. Klau3

Klau3 New Member

Thanks for the link. In the end the KNight's confirmed features list is just a user comment, so there is still hope ^^
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Supcom shields won't be coming back.

It is best to tailor defenses against the type of problem they are supposed to face. Shields are made to counter everything, which means everything has to be balanced against shields. It makes a huge mess.
    vyolin likes this.
  7. Klau3

Klau3 New Member

Thats a good argument against shields.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes I'm just a member of the community, but I based all the classifications in my CFL on Dev Comments, that's why each item has one or more links to Dev comments.

Mike
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

It is just a user comment, but if you know KNight at all (and you will if you stick around on the forums!), you'll know how particular he is with things like this.

Everything on there is sourced directly from developer comments - so although the post itself is user-maintained, the content in it comes straight from Kirkland WA.
    FXelix likes this.
  10. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

I think KNight is more known than some developers / or the most. Lol :D
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Isn't every point in that feature list linked to dev comments on it? Sometimes in 4 different places the devs said it?
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think at this point I've been mistaken for a Dev like 10 times or so.

Mike
    FXelix and igncom1 like this.
  13. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

And i've never seen that you use smiley's lol :D like a stone :p. (okay I know this is a useless comment :p ) #Mike