Who is interested in a tournament this weekend?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, January 28, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Winner gets a Scathis award.
    [​IMG]
    matizpl likes this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Can we skip to the part where I just kill everyone ruthlessly??
    Who needs a commander when you have a cute cat horde to do your will?
    [​IMG]
  4. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

2 v 2 ? On this particular weekend - here in the US there's a little-known sports contest planned for sunday - shouldn't it be 11 v 11 ?

Uber would need to relax their enforcement of player max count though.

(No, this isn't a serious proposal... I shudder at the lag that would ensue, current patch)

The tourney could be named something Superbowl-ish though. I wanted to propose a name directly, but am just not coming up with anything yet. I'm favoring in concept, somehow de-emphasizing football, while clearly referencing it anyhow.

SkitterBowl has a tempting ring to it, possibly
    SlammerBowl?
    (c'mon - as if the winner/winning-team won't use 'em! bots reign this patch)
    mered4 likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

UBERBOWL!
    iceDrop likes this.
  6. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Murica isn't the center of the world. I doubt many people here care about "football" or even think of the same sport when you use that word :p PA is our sport
  7. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

There we go! Was hoping someone would pull out a save. That works perfectly. Thanks!
  8. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Yup, totally agree with that sentiment. Which is part of why I proposed this. It's subtle, but well, to quote from one of my favorite all-time documentaries... I'll have to paraphrase actually...

"...by cutting up and reassembling a corporate logo or phrase [etc], you are, in a very real way, emasculating its power over you..."

The NFL has done an unfortunately good job of shoving this weekend's contest into the collective public consciousness, reaching far past what should be the natural borders of actual fan interest (centered in 'murica, yes). My proposal was not intended as an homage (was hoping it to be nearly the opposite, really), but it's a fine line to tread, and I respect your criticism.
  9. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Honestly if it wern't for your post I wouldn't have known the superbowl was even close. It's not like I'm far away either, I live in Canada. I guess it all comes down to who you talk to and where you get your entertainment. Maybe befriend less meat-heads and jocks? :p
  10. iceDrop

iceDrop Active Member

Oh it's rarely on my radar, and I have no such friends (maybe a co-worker or two, though). We don't watch broadcast TV or cable in our house; I've been a 'cord cutter' since before that term was created. Netflix and other sources cover my video entertainment needs in a mostly ad-and-distraction-free way. My daily 'news' comes from a very small cluster of sites focused on technology and design.

My hyper-awareness this year is because I live in Washington state, and one of the teams is from same. The school across my street has a principal who is irrationally overcome with enthusiasm about it all, and has been goading the children into loudly chanting "Go Seahawks" again and again. I'm silently hoping they lose, and fail to win again in future years.

My sense is that on the bell curve of media attention, I am an outlier overall. But my understanding was also that the Superbowl manages to reach a staggeringly world-wide audience, and achieves a global media awareness even in its lowest years, that is the envy of every other type of periodic media mega-event. If I'm disconnected enough to have not realized that's changed in the past decade or so, would be happy to hear it. Most years lately though, somehow the awareness of the advertising spots and meta-analysis of it seems to reach me through some avenue, so I just assume their media machine is still as effective as it ever was.

I feel kinda dirty to keep typing more and more around their event though, and I think my proposal of naming our tournament to be 'topical' has probably jumped the shark. I won't go so far as to retract it, but I personally no longer feel compelled to label it Uberbowl.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  11. cptconundrum

You guys are all wrong. Football is awesome! You should believe me because I'm obviously right. I'll skip the Superbowl for the Uberbowl, though.
  12. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

aaand can't make it. Oh well.
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

SAY WHAT?
    sarcasm/
    WE ARE THE CENTER OF THE WORLD IF YOU DONT WATCH THE SUPER BOWL YOU DONT HAVE A LIFE
    /sarcasm

That said, I am going to watch the bowl, and screw a PA tournament if it gets in the way. My team needs me.

GO HAWKS.

I am NOT a jock. Or a meat-head.

In other words, I am not a Brad clone.

It would be nice if I was but.....I digress.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Making tournament thread atm
    Clopse likes this.
  15. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General