Should factories be on continuous build by default?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, January 27, 2014.

?

Should factories be on continuous build by default?

1. Yes

50.2%
  2. No

41.1%
  3. Depends on the factory type

8.7%
  1. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Oh yes, you're right. Silly me.

Well just make the button so easy to press that you forget you've done it and instead go around on forums looking like an ignoramus by saying you did something completely different. :)
    Gerfand likes this.
  2. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I would prefer a policy file I can edit outside of the game for things like this. A sort of .ini text file that lists things like:

Default Air Factory mode: Auto

etc. But that could evolve into something much more powereful! Such as:

Unpower radar when energy deficit: True

or

Auto Defend Radius: 50

which, for example, would tell units within the specified range to engage enemy units within that distance who are headed towards your base. If you don't like it, set it to 0. If you fine tune that number though it would be good for getting units to automatically respond to threats around bases you aren't directly paying attention to.

Anyway the policy file would be used to fine tune the in game behavior of your units and structures to your tastes. With mods on top the possibilities would be endless (and might end up making some mods completely unnecessary).
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Another vote for the menu option. New players will not understand and suffer for it, but a veteran will want it on pretty much always.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  4. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

What about "Yes" but holding control while queuing units makes them a 1time only build? (kinda like how shift queues 5)
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Perhaps

Your first factory of a type you don't want to be on loop by default. (Particularly bots and air).

Your second and third, yeah maybe.

What I would like to see is a factory assist function. So you can tell other factories to assist your factory that is on infinite queue. If you add stuff to their queue, they will deal with it, then go back to the infinite queue.

Edit: Actually, more settings is the answer!
    Last edited: January 28, 2014
  6. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I would prefer a better UI option to have the linear build for initial engineers and continuous build after I have cued up a few engineers for that factory in a linear build order.

I don't always need continuous build, but I will always use linear at least most or all the time.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's a good idea.

but the way I see it you could micro out your one unit by reorganizing the build queue (which is a feature I want) and pressing pause when you want to stop the factory.
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Dude, when in doubt options. Like more the better.
    Yes, were all colluding through PM.
  9. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I think you should be able to set this option on the fabber that is used to build the factory. That way you can have it both ways.
  10. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

I like this idea. For single items like fabbers it would be very useful. And since I always set on continuase build anyway it would work. It also seams like quite a few people are a posed to this so maybe have this as a setting to turn on.
  11. plink

plink Active Member

This. x1000
  12. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

You can do this in hotbuild2 :)

But a global settings would be nice ! Maybe I can assign it to a key then so then I can toggle it on after the first 5 minutes.
  13. keterei

keterei Active Member

Yes and allow the option in settings.
  14. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

If nothing else, it'll help new players get the hint on how unit production is supposed to work. As has been mentioned, the ability to squeeze single orders in on top would be nice also.

Not sure how this'll pan out with orbital factories, though.
  15. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

I think it should be like this:
    Factories have two build queues, like others have suggested it should be a continuous and an imidiate type. With the imidiate one having higher priority. (Which queue is default and which is accessible by shift should be a setting)

If you have a factory selected and ctrl click another factory, it gets added to a build network. (You remove factories from a network by control clicking them while they are selected (adding them to their own network).

The continuous build queue gets shared among all factories in a network and the waypoint also gets shared by default. The imidiate build queue either also gets shared or executed only by the factory closed to the set network waypoint (which should be toggle able in the UI).

Important: all factories in a network are equals, so if one gets destroyed the queue is retained by the others.
    Also there should be some kind of indicator showing which factories belong to which network.

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I like the idea, this concept could logically extend to fabbers. instead of using the current method (where you loose the queue once the non-assisting fabbers die), fabbers could form construction crews and the queue is assigned to the crew instead of a single fabber. I guess that puts us back into orders as entities discussion territory...
    proeleert likes this.
  16. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

THIS is the only correct answer.
  17. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

My preference from the other thread:

[​IMG]

Enqueuing units with normal click or ctrl-click would use linear build. Shift-click would use infinite build. Visualize the build queue's state for example as shown above, so that you can see that in which order the units are currently being built.
  18. demon99a

demon99a Member

thats what i was thinking!
    its smart and solves both problems :)
  19. ke55

ke55 Member

Or just put the option in the option menu, one for autobuild auto on and one for scouts autoroaming, maby nukes too, you dont make a nuk launcher if you dont plan to fire it
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Infinite toggle like SupCom for looping.

Except,
    You have the option option of manually adding non-loop units to the front of the queue.
    That way, if you need 10 fabbers NOW, they get built, then your loop continues.

If you take a look at the UI Requests in the list I have compiled (my sig).
    You will see that some people have also requested build queue templates.
    These should be saved to small text file that we can share and swap in the community :)
    (which I believe is one more reason for people to get used to your future monetization market).
    darac likes this.