An idea for new Weapon/Weapon type

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shotforce13, January 25, 2014.

1. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

I got thinking about the builders using nano lathes and got to thinking, it has the power to create and destroy, why not weaponize it?

like a nanite bomber: drops a bomb filled with nanites, that once detonated causes a green cloud (AOE) and damages units over time (DOT). in a twist if wreckage is in the cloud, it will reclaim it, granted when reclaiming gets better in game.

sounded like a pretty neat idea and wanted to share.:)
    keterei and miturian like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Sounds like some of the alternative nuclear missile ideas that have been tossed around.

I likeit.
    melhem19 and shotforce13 like this.
  3. shotforce13

Better yet, give it the ability to target friendly buildings and units with attack command but instead of damaging your stuff it would heal it in an area. i like multi roll units, that is if it doesn't involve micro
    nottma likes this.
  4. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Sooooo, a Damage over Time weapon with a fancy name?

Mike
  6. brianpurkiss

Hey now. Fancy names are awesome.
  7. KNight

Yeah, but fancy names don't make "new" weapons either.

Mike
  8. brianpurkiss

It's new in that it's not currently in the game or planned to be in the game, as far as we know.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I had an idea like this, in KNight's inferno thread. Since the Inferno was meant to be like a blowtorch, I thought why not make a flamethrower-style tank that uses nanolathe as a weapon for DOT. It could even be using the reclaim mechanic to attack, and give you a few resources in return...
  10. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Something like this?

49634275-lq.jpg
    nottma and shotforce13 like this.
  11. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

The only problem might be graphical lag, as nanolathe particles can fail to render from a distance on some computers. But that's easily fixed with an effects tweak.

I had an idea like that in one of the unit suggestions threads! Great minds think alike...
    shotforce13 and emraldis like this.
  12. shotforce13

Well...............we have nano lathes, not nanites, so yes It does make it a new "weapon" type". This weapon type is a "smart" weapon it knows friend or foe and even wreckage without the micro of telling it what to target. your argument is pretty "one sided" I can call it, gas gun, red cloud or whatever, those arnt fancy names, but like @brian said, its not in the game so it is new.
  13. KNight

I guess my experience has given me a different meaning to " new weapon type".

Mike
  14. emraldis

The point is IMO that it doesn't just have to be a DOT weapon. Since it is using nanolathe, the whole "nanolathe weapon" concept can be built around the reclaim mechanic. Not all of the weapons have to be DOT, but the common aspect (IMO) would be that they give you some resources when they damage something. Not many resources, mind you, but some none the less.
  15. KNight

....It's still damage over time, just because it's meant to work like a lathe doesn't mean its all that different. Reclaim as a weapon does damage over time, that's just all there is to it.

Mike
  16. emraldis

Let me just quote myself here:

17. KNight

Well that's always an option(but still not really a new "weapon type", just a new "effect"), I've been replying to the OP's suggestion which is a DOT weapon.

Mike
  18. shotforce13

Well that's always an option(but still not really a new "weapon type", just a new "effect"), I've been replying to the OP's suggestion which is a DOT weapon.

Mike[/quote]
    If you want to get technical, this weapon Is not only DOT. Its Dot, heal over time, area of effect, and resource generation all in on shell. Im sorry mike, but bullets, lasers, an missles have been in every rts since time began, it wouldnt hurt to try new things, this game is already breaking some molds which is a very good thing and I think they should keep that up.
    emraldis likes this.
  19. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

yah, a nanite warhead that destroys everything in its blast radius( with devouring animation)
  20. nottma

nottma New Member

I had a similar idea of a nanoite bomb
    That was my originally idea with the nanoite bombs. They heal damaged bots and even bring destroyed bots back to life. Nothing overpowered.. have it limited to giving out 1/2-3/4th the metal that went into making it.