Just a thought on economy

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wheels12, January 22, 2014.

1. udra

udra New Member

darac wrote: I'd like to see less spam and more thought put into base building.

I agree with that statement completely. Right now there's too much spam required, which raises APM requirements and lowers time spent on strategy and tactics.
    iron420 likes this.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Over saturating a patch means you spent too much on workers. It's not very different from spending too much on constructors.

The early game economy is absurdly unforgiving. You have low cost infrastructure that must be built quickly, high output extractors that must be captured quickly, and pitiful storage levels that quickly blossom into huge problems.
  3. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

True. It is also the part of the game that we all play again and again, and therefore what we are training for the most. I see it like an opportunity to learn.

And I've to learn a lot, judging by how badly I run my eco in game.
  4. uncrustable

uncrustable New Member

I dont care how or why, and i know the differences between sc and pa, the point is that PA IS more of a clickfest than starcraft 2.
    I was a low-mid level diamond player in sc2 for awhile, and the amount of clicks, or apm, required in sc2 is much much lower than pa currently is. It is even lower than supcomfa in many cases.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Sure PA might require more APM in some situations, but frankly, compared to StarCraft, what you use that APM on is vastly different.

Mike
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. uncrustable

uncrustable New Member

And? I dont care if what you click is different, that is irrelevant. The fact is one takes less, and that one happens to be the one that everyones calls a 'clickfest'

Again though i am not knocking PA, i love it. Just pointing out the facts and misconceptions.
    Everyone calls starcraft a micro spamfest, when in reality its not.
    Even in diamond league a good solid macro will win you more games than good micro alone. and it doesnt require high apm either, just watch Halbystarcrafts channel on youtube, high level diamond player with low apm
  7. tzk

tzk New Member

Getting rid of storage would work if resources consumption would be constant and it isn't. However in my opinion infinite storage is worth considering but only if economy simplification is desired.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I have never seen a RTS not punish someone for not having economy. It isn't so much the stalling. It is the clicking build on things when you don't have what it takes to build them.

In TA, it was ambiguous what the cost was for something, so you could accidentally it.

Here, it is pretty much fine as long as you don't go using 10 fabbers with just 4 mexes under your belt. As long as you know how much resources a fabber costs when it builds, your fine.

Also, I use Economy mods for PA, because additional information is helpful to decide if you can afford things or not. That should maybe become vanilla.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  9. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

all those flashing lights are far too annoying for me, knowing whether you have a negative balance is good enough. Not entirely sure why everyone puts such an emphasis on keeping the metal income at a net of 0. Sure its better, but there are far bigger problems with how people play.
  10. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Pre-set policies would work nice here. I'd actually love something like that. A rule i define before hand that prioritizes power, so when i lose power I can say: 1st turn on factories, then turn off defenses, etc, turn radar off last. Then when i run low on power everything doesn't suffer all at once, only the least important
  11. darac

darac Active Member

I think all you'll find it needs is to smartly turn on and off a proportion of your assisting fabricators as they likely use about 90% of your energy.

Edit:
    I wonder what this game would be like if structure build times were a bit faster and assisting was disabled.
  12. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Why make me do it manually if it can be done by an algorithm? Saves me from clicking and increases my efficiency. I cant be everywhere at once...
  13. darac

darac Active Member

Yeah, I agree.