The new advanced radar

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by JacksonNL, January 18, 2014.

?

New advanced radar

1. Good hold it like this

25.6%
  2. Bad its view is too minimized

40.2%
  3. Not good nor bad i like the way Uber thinks but there need too balance it more

32.9%
  4. No oppinion

1.2%
  1. zack1028

zack1028 Member

First, if something isn't better if it is advanced, uh......., okay lets follow this slowly...... if it's not going to be better then why have the "advanced" their...... I'm lost?!?!?

um...... This really really wrong. I don't know about you, but I don't just use radar to just make my artillery shoot further and not be surprise attacked. I use it to plan out my attacks and to get a good look at what my enemy is doing. Personally I think that these two purposes would be at the top of the list for why we all use radar. I'm not saying that the reasons you listed are not useful but, from reading on this thread the complaint is because it takes forever to get a satellite from your base to your enemies base.... and that building planes is nice but (as the dev's said) to much air will slow the system way down....

I really just wished it moved faster.... I don't mind its vision but it takes forever to find someones commander!!!!!
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

You're correct, you don't know about me. You use scouting to plan an attack and get a good look at what the enemy is doing. Radar doesn't provide vision, so you can't use it to 'see' what your enemy is doing other than in the broadest possible sense of the word.
  3. zack1028

zack1028 Member

and I think this is why some people are complaining... because they just maybe want it to be a little faster it's range to give full vision.... I build lots of planes and put them on patrol to see whats going on around the planet.... but several people have stated that planes can really slow the system down and on a large planet you'd need close to, or over, 300 planes just to keep a good vision of the planet.....
  4. nanolathe

Just a little bit faster, just a little bit more vision, just a little more this, just a little more that...
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  5. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I agree with you zack1028. I mainly use the adv radar los to see where the enemies weak spot is or to find his com, anti nuke or to see if he has a nuke..you guys forget the adv aa makes it impossible to scout now & having to scout over 7 planets is a major pain in the micro *** ...By giving the adv radar a balanced los & more speed (make it a tad slower than orbital fighters) it would take away from having to spam 100 scouts over 8 planets reducing lag greatly.
    zack1028 likes this.
  6. zack1028

zack1028 Member

and the idea is to help reduce lag... not make it worse!!!!!

Also you make a good point. I really don't want to build 10 scouts every time I want to go and see what my enemy is doing!!!!!!! Why not just build one satellite?!?!
    Last edited: January 20, 2014
  7. nanolathe

Because just one satellite that has THAT much power over the game is a broken unit. It was nerfed for a reason, you need granularity in what's useful to scout with, not one be-all-end-all god unit with map-hacks.

Essentially you're saying that you want a unit that means you don't have to worry about scouting any more.

One satellite vs ten planes isn't going to appreciably affect lag, so don't try to use that as an excuse.
  8. zack1028

zack1028 Member

Okay..... you've missed my entire perspective. I don't want it to go back to the way it was before.... I really see the good in the fact the we cant see the entire planet anymore, but i think that it might have been nerfed a little to much.... I mean really it is more basic than the old basic satellite was...

All I really want it for it to move faster... I don't really care that much about its vision!!!!! I mean if they changed it I wouldn't be mad, but if it was left like this I think it would suffice......
  9. nanolathe

And what does a speed boost achieve that just waiting doesn't rectify? Why is the speed an issue unless you're trying to either chase, or outrun something?

All it sounds like you're after is instant gratification for minimal cost.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Because latest patch, rather than get a satellite to perform a satellites role, I get planes to. Because they orbit the planet faster and so give me more intel information.
  11. Grazgul

Grazgul Member

Or simply that they build cheaper radars and as they have more resources they produce bigger, more material intensive radars? Can and should are 2 different things: look at computers and parts, yeah we've got 8x cores ect.. but you can still get the older stuff if you don't want to fork out.

Advanced: "far on or ahead in development or progress" while it doesn't exactly mean better, it's implied. Having two radar stages is a good idea, as covering the map with little radars is an exercise in tedium, it also makes orbital control more redundant (you can't as easily knock out radar coverage)

My 2c:

I don't think the Radars should have any vision, period. Orbital Radars in general could do with a buff.

If Vision on the planet from orbit was to come in, it should be done through a new unit (spy satellites ect) That way you have Radars as big energy sinks that can give you a rough idea of what's happening and your offence recon would be done by a different orbital Satellite. It would also give orbital fighters something to do, apart from what I currently do with them, which is have them patrol in a middle finger pattern over enemy bases.
  12. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

UBER please fix the radar. I understand guys say you have to scout. But that proves well on the same planet but in multiple planets the orbital play is broken with the advanced sattellites being so crappy. I controlled 2 planets they had one small moon. All they did was bunker umbrellas anti nukes and defenses on land with avengers. So Everytime I send radar that cant see anything it would get shot down. I was sending 40 avengers at a time. Thats ridiculous. The game was 3 hours long so I was forced to spam nukes and got lucky with a 8 nuke blast. Wow what a awful game that was. Please change back to the way they were. This was a 3 v 3 and they got lucky fleeing one commander. At least you can see the planet early so you know where to develop a foothold on the planet. If you win the same planet you should have some tactical advantage of radar over them.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well having space superiority like that would prevent most attempts to get to the moon at all. Rather then the space radar actually being bad. (Personally a moving radar in the orbital layer is still really good in my mind, even if it has T1 radar range)

The thing is, having advanced radar ATM is still basically just a better satellite radar anyway, so they still need to differentiate them other then basic and better.

Now I feel like the basic orbital radar is fine, it needs to move and focus on one location.

As for the advanced radar, what about a kind of drone satellite that shoots disposable cameras onto the planet (Possibly builds them) automatically, so you can move them around the planet and they give a 5 minute vision for wherever they land.

Then you might get a patrol blanketing a enemy planet to give temporary vision in a trail behind them.
  14. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

No no no and no. Change it back to at least viewing half the planet. Guessing where a commander is so annoying when they bunkered the planet. If it wasnt in my solar system the game would of been a stalemate. First off the bots are faster then radar. The only thing they can do is make it that the avengers cant shoot down the radars including the umbrellas. make the radars be in a different orbit. Other then that I know many guys that dont play multiple planets because of this reason. even if u have advaned orbital radar and know what planet to go to . If they bunkered it cause your fighting somewhere else to finish them your screwed in game especialy with orbital being tier 1 now. At least before you could just stop them from gettting tier 2 to block orbital. Its just a fail radar now. Before you could just wipe them off planet and not worry all they have to do is sneak a tier 1 orbital and fly away. I liked the patch better when orbital was tier 2 also.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I am not a fan of the mass anti-fog of war, especially if it's line of sight.

for an Invasion type scenario it Personally find it really fun!

Your enemy will be actively be trying to hide their commander, so I can't say I agree when the main problems atm is even getting onto enemy worlds.

Then how would you deny the enemy vision of your own base? That seems a little silly.

I agree that orbital play is not especially well done or that fun ATM, so I won't disagree.

I prefer the option to go straight orbital if a player wants it, but I agree that the option to get the transport streight up is a little strange.

Id like the player to have to build a one shot and rather expensive transport missile, with a land craft for safely setting down on the target planet, making initial expansion pre 20 minutes a little more involved.

Leaving more expensive late game options of deployable StarGates to fire at enemy planets and possibly 'Bus' missiles for shooting groups of tanks, to be used en mass, and fired to start an invasion.

So I do get what you mean with the stalemate stuff.
  16. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Dont get me wrong I dont mind orbital tier 1. Maybe i misspoke there. But I just dont like the radar system. If they returned advanced to seeing the whole planet the game would be perfect. I mean the old way if u didnt want them to get advanced go avengers problem solved. If your dominating a map or game you should be able to have advanced radar over the opponent. They shouldnt be allowed to skip and hide there commander while im making units that are trying to find him while he keeps getting stronger and stronger.
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I like what I suggested on page 2. So that orbital isn't actually just Air 2.0
    igncom1 likes this.
  18. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

One of the key aspects of an RTS is being able to outsmart your opponent. That is pretty difficult if he can see everything you try.
  19. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

some kind of ultra expensive lategame satellite with at least vision of the size of the current satellite radar would be nice though... its not only you have to scout on your planet, but also on other planets... which is currently impossible
  20. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Well Lets talk about the unit that really got nerfed from the advanced radar change. nobody uses laser platforms. They are utterly useless right now with the way sattelites are.