What's with Naval? (59607)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by LeadfootSlim, January 19, 2014.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

@scathis ^ this post denotes the balance for naval.

A circular lake with a radius of 220 (range of a Bluebottle) can be traversed by the bluebottle at current speed in 147 seconds, or a group of Dox can run around the circumference in 115 seconds.

A circular ocean with a radius of 5000 can be traversed by a bluebottle in 3333 seconds (i.e. 55 minutes) or by dox in 2617 seconds (43 minutes)

Personally I think the original speed was A-Ok. Their issue was their range allowing them to attack shore targets, so if you started getting attacked from the sea you were stuffed because you could never jump in the water with your opponent. If you had a moderate number of torpedoes, bombers or even catapults this could easily be avoided.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I don't think I have a problem with the speed if they had both the stopping power and tanking ability to truly project power.
  3. stormingkiwi

But they simply don't. You're MUCH better off using your airforce,which is cheaper and covers more ground, and teleporters
  4. igncom1

I know they don't currently.

But with the whole teleporter thing, even on size 4 maps I still often just march my army's across the map in several groups.

Sure it takes time to do so, but even then it forces the enemy to respond or risk losing all of their expansions.
  5. stormingkiwi

Wait.

We're talking about navies.

Not land. Navies that can't teleport. Armies that can't walk on water.
  6. igncom1

I know, but you mentioned both so I responded.
  7. stormingkiwi

Oh I see.

Well that's the point. Naval now get to a land battle too slowly to be useful, can't assault bases because they get eaten by torpedoes, and are sitting ducks for anything slightly resembling a bomber.
  8. uncrustable

uncrustable New Member

Worthless, personally i think the change was a bit extreme and seems pointless.
    But thats just me...
  9. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

I can't believe you guys are honestly complaining about stuff in an unfinished game...It is pathetic.
  10. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

That's what's called constructive feedback. We say what we dislike or like, and the devs can profit from our opinions. It can be mistaken for complaining, but it's not really the same.

So what you call "pathetic" is actually pretty useful to the game developing process.